How much to charge for votives selling wholesale?

tam1116

I figured my cost to be .45 for one votive, how much can I charge to a wholesale customer. Everyone says 2 times your cost but is that too much? It won't even be worth my time if I can't get enough out of them. How much do you all sell your votives for?

I always charged twice my costs for retail and about 1/2 my costs for wholesale but that's me. Nobody expects to make much profit off of a votive IMHO. They are mostly good for basket fillers or pairing with votive containers but mine just sat around and looked sad most of the time. Good luck.

Steve

I sell my votives for $3 in my shop and wholesale for $1.40 per votive. Which is less then half retail price.

You have to take your time, electricity, tools, experience etc. I know some companies sell them for $2 wholesale and shops still buy them.

I know another company that sells them for 0.80c each too and they do very well but they sell them Australia wide and quite honestly they are machine poured and they make 50,000+ month.

Its only too much if you think it is. Believe in yourself and your product and your buyers will too. I have to keep reminding my customers (and sometimes myself) that these are not machine made or mass produced. They are made by hand with lots of time and love going into the final product. Remind them also that most customers will pay more for a handmade candle. Buyers tend to respond quickly if you have a price going into the conversation and are not wishy washy about price and discounts. I do totally agree about votives, they are time consuming, expensive and don't warrant a discount or at least not much of a discount.

Votives are a pita IMO- I did a wholesale order before Christmas and will never do it again

If they are costing you .45 cents to make I wouldn't go less than a 1.00 and that's hardly worth it IMO- they are so time consuming, and more labeling and packaging- I would sell them at 1.25- if they double that for retail 2.50 is not unreasonable for a handmade votive....the lady I sold to got 3.50 a votive (soy un-dyed) and sold out, she wanted them for little last minute gift ideas for people

So a lot will depend on her demand for them as well- if you feel that may be to high go a dollar each as long as that profit margin is good for you- don't undersell yourself