Extremely huge craft show

Daisymay66

Hello Friends!

I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts on a craft show I am thinking about. It's a 3 day show. Attendance is about 100,000 people. I haven't did any shows for about the last 3 years now. I'm trying to read and find out as much as I can. I have been to it quite a few times but not as a vendor. I just wish I knew a few people who could answer some questions for me. I know if you run out of product your not allowed back. You know, just how many candles would a person take to such a huge event? I don't have a lot of experience in doing the shows so I'm pretty scared! Any thoughts? I have always wanted to try it. Thanks so much!

Gods Blessings!

Daisy

Sometimes those shows are great. Sometimes a total bust. It depends on so many variables. If you have not done a show in a while, and are having misgivings about jumping in to a huge one, why not apply for a few smaller ones to get your confidence back and test ut your booth set up?

This is a hard one. I have a few questions.

My main question is are you planning to do other events after this one?

If you planning on doing other events you can make a lot more knowing you can sell it at other events.

How many types of products are you planning to bring?

If you only sell one or 2 type of product how much depends on the next question. If you sell 10 products things can get way more complicated.

How many scents do you carry?

This is a very important question. Depending on your answer for the last question the answer can change.

Guest OldGlory

Hi Daisymay!

I am currently strictly wholesale but I did events/shows for years. A few of them were simply gigantic - wish I could remember the company hosting them. My products ranged from candles to bath and body to crystal potpourri.

After doing a few shows and getting to know some of the other vendors who went to each show, I was told that the one in Lexington (or maybe it was Louisville) was the biggest and best and I should go because I would make a lot of money. The first few shows were not very profitable, but I always made enough to cover my costs plus a little. They all said the one in KY would be very profitable. So I took the bait.

I paid for a hotel room for 3 days, meals for 3 days, drove 200 miles each way, paid the $200+ for the booth, made a lot of product, put a little money into my set up ... and sold $22 worth in 3 days. I saw a lot of people who appeared to be doing a steady business, but mostly I think people didn't even recoup their costs.

The point I'm making is that there is no way to know when or where you will be successful when doing shows. Location of your booth/table is important. Luck is important though too. I had to bring all of the product back home with me and try to find other venues to sell it off. After that I only did local small shows for a few years, and was more successful and profitable at those.

I'm sure some people are happy with the shows they do and hopefully they will respond with their success stories. Whatever you decide to do, it's all a very valuable learning experience.

I've found that time of year can also make a big difference; fall/early winter much better for candle sales than now thru summer.

Also, my experience is that in some of the big shows like that the competition for the same dollar is so great that my share was not always what I needed to make enough money to justify the costs.

The advice above to get "back into the swing" at smaller shows is good, in my opinion.

This is a hard one. I have a few questions.

My main question is are you planning to do other events after this one?

If you planning on doing other events you can make a lot more knowing you can sell it at other events. I am planning on doing 3 smaller shows afterwards.

How many types of products are you planning to bring?

If you only sell one or 2 type of product how much depends on the next question. If you sell 10 products things can get way more complicated. I am thinking of taking candles, melts, room sprays, burners. I carry a ton of scents but would only pick maybe 15 or so to take.

How many scents do you carry?

This is a very important question. Depending on your answer for the last question the answer can change.

hope this can help you to help me! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Friends!

So I have myself sighed up for 6 shows:yay: I'm trying to figure out scents if I do decide to do the big one. Do you all think this is ok for scents? The show is in the end of September so I have 7 fall scents, 5 bakery, 3 fruity, 2 flowery, 5 Christmas?? Think this sounds good or no? More or less? Thanks all! Super appreciate all your help:grin2:

I had a show in January, and my best-sellers were those that reminded people of either the tropics (coconut! mango papaya!) or Spring (florals!). Weird. Wintertime is usually spiced apple and cinnamon for me!

Probably because by January people (probably not all, but definitely ME) are just so tired of cold winter, holiday weather that they want something to remind them of the coming spring/summer time.

Of course, I've been tired of cold now since October... LOL so....

I had a show in January, and my best-sellers were those that reminded people

of either the tropics (coconut! mango papaya!) or Spring (florals!). Weird.

Wintertime is usually spiced apple and cinnamon for me!

Typical for me all year long. Tropical scents are #1 along with ANY floral. Bakery scents have always been my slowest sellers.

Thank you all so very much for your advice! I just want to have a good selection but not get carried away and have too many scents that it overwhelms people. Hope you are all having a great weekend! I was planning on being in my candle room getting a lot done today but I haven't seemed to be able to get out off my jammies, the couch and Craftserver:laugh2: