So I'm sitting at a wholesale gift show...

Michdj

... and holy moly it's slow. I'd been standing outside the booth making eye contact with people and I can't get folks interested. I have several wholesale accounts already, so I know the product/packaging isn't at fault. Has anyone done these types of shows before? (Like gift shows/gift marts etc)? Have you had any luck?

i have never sold at them...only went to buy...

where is the gift show? what are you selling?

the one i always went to was in San Fran. Calif.

it seems to be always very busy...

maybe try handing out your cards as people come by..or a brochure..

lots of times..they will go to their room and

look thru their handouts..and come back later

good luck....hope it picks up for you..

Did it improve?

I was wondering the same thing! I have thought about doing these shows but I have always been a little intimidated because I was not sure if I could handle it. They have one in Madison, Wisconsin a couple times a year but........

Guess I should get rid of my buts!

Well, the attendance never really improved on Monday. Sunday - the first day - had lots of people but I didn't get a lot of interest. I was selling my candles. I did the same show last August and I picked up 3 new retailers. This year I ended up picking up two, but I don't think they'll be worth the $700 investment in the booth space. Not sure I'm going to do it again - I suppose it depends on whether or not I get my b/b line launched, and whether or not reaching out to stores directly proves to be valuable. Wholesale is a tough gig.

Guest OldGlory

My strategy for acquiring new wholesale customers is a more direct approach. Rather than being one of many crafters in a large group of crafters and wholesalers, I go right to the businesses I want to sell my products.

I go to the town where I want to establish an account to do some research. I go in to all of the gift retailers that look like they are locally owned and see what they already have. If I think my product is better in some way than what they carry I make a note of the name and address of the shop, or pick up a business card. I try to get at least 10 names for each small town. My intention is to land one or two accounts, careful not to make them look the same or use the same fragrances.

Then I go home, make up a bunch of postcards that describe my products, give a starting price, offer full customization, and tell them if they will contact me for an opportunity to show them my products I will give them a free sample. And I make sure my samples are perfect! Great cold throw, great hot throw, look great, etc.

When I go back I ask lots of questions - have they thought about a fully customized line for their business? What scents would they love to have? What containers would be perfect for them? How would they like their label to look? Wouldn't they prefer to have their own logo on the candle to make sure the customer will return for more? This is the sales pitch, meant to get them excited about their very own line of products.

I always ask for an order on the spot. If they want to burn the sample and think about it, as I am handing them the sample I tell them I want them to burn it within the next few days and that I will call them in a few days to follow up. I will even say, "I'll call you on Tuesday after you've had a chance to burn the candle." There is an expectation that if you are going to leave a sample to help them decide whether or not to buy from you, they at least try the sample.

My cost in all of this is: the gas to drive there the first time, my time, one sample candle usually about $3, and a few bucks to print up the postcards and mail them.

While I get more NO responses than YES, for me it's still a much better way to make a sale. And if they refer another client that stays with me for 6 months and orders a minimum, I will give them a bonus - either a discount or some freebies.

I can't tell you how much my clients like knowing the person who is responsible for their product!

In our previous candle business, the wholesale shows were definitely what launched us. We started with a small retail store and after about a year, set up at the gift shows in Atlanta, Chicago and Columbus, OH. We got a couple nice size orders from each show but we also picked up some really good rep groups that liked our products. We very quickly went from one fax and phone line that we couldn't wait to ring, to multi lines that never stopped. The groups really got us started. It did cost us commission but so worth it to get the candles out there.

honestly unless you have something unique, your probably wasting your time and money. i just got back from atlanta and picked up over 50 new stores and a canadian distributor. Another candle maker at the same show barely made expenses. All depends on product, location, and display.

nothing bad about her product, she just had a really bad location. It so easy to get lost whether its in a big or small show. I know of another show few weeks ago, everyone did really bad due to the weather, so there goes a few thousand dollars out the door. its just like gambling...you take your chances.

I see. I hear what your saying about the gamble.

Every time I try a new show I go in with no expectations because you just never know. And then one year I can do great and the next not so great! Or visa versa. I usually try to give them two chances and if it is bad both times I am done!