Wicked Wine Candles - Your thoughts for improvement

It never occurred to me to get my wax from a surf shop. I thought they used emulsified spray on wax for their boards. We have lots of surf shops here in Florida - but I don't know if they'd sell me enough quantity wise. I usually order 300 lbs of wax at once and combine it with jars etc for freight rates.

Update: I contacted two surf shops in my area and they use a liquified wax. They also sold tiny wax tubs ( like 8 oz) which looked like turtle car wax. They seemed a little confused about candle application. These surf shops said that their wax is paraffin and they had no clue about the organic status. New England surfers maybe are different. Either way I am still on the hunt for the organic soy wax.

Guest OldGlory

I am sure there are many crafters on this board who are waiting for the information on organic wax and wood wicks.

But... once you introduce a fragrance oil that pretty much eliminates the over all organic nature of the finished product. Why go to the trouble of locating and then paying for organic if you are going to use a chemical fragrance? Or do you think your customers would still want organic wax and wicks with a chemical fragrance?

I agree Old Glory. But wicked wine advertises 100% organic. So it seems like well...I hope we hear back from wickedwine soon. I am still smarting from the loss of that account. But I want to be as honest as possible with my customers. Maybe wicked wine is still digging out of the snow with that bad storm.

Seems like Accu-blend had an organic soy wax but when I just checked it's no longer on their website. Ok found it, listed under organic...duh! Yes they have a vege blend organic wax I believe it was soy, coconut & olive oil wax but the specs don't say. You'd have to call to get info

Edited by kandlekrazy

Kandlekrazy, thanks for the info. I just went on website and found it. It is wax #44 described as an organic veggie wax. I phoned them and they said that it is not really organic. But a blend of soy wax, palm, coconut. It is blended overseas and the formula changes. A small component of the wax was originally organic. But the majority of wax isn't. They acknowledged the deceptive organic wording on their website and said that every now and again they get a complaint and change their wording. They said a lot of companies buying their wax do the don't ask don't tell thing. They said they could never certify it as organic obviously. But they said that certain multinational food companies requests certified organic and if they can't get it they do the don't ask don't tell. I think I'll stick with gb 444.

Edited by JI

Guest OldGlory

Of course someone new to the craft of candlemaking wouldn't know to ask. A few years ago I bought a product from a company that sold both candlemaking stuff and bath and body. I ordered a product that the website contained 2 ingredients - shea butter and aloe vera. After about 6 months we found out that the source of the product lied to the company I bought it from. It actually contained a lot more than 2 ingredients. Sometimes you just don't get the truth. Sad to say!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have to admit that it is unfortunate we never heard about wicked wine's organic soy wax supplier.

That being said, I did go on their website link this afternoon and noticed that all references to "organic" have been removed and replaced with "natural". So I guess that answers my question. References to organic timber wicks have also been removed.

Edited by JI

@JL, yes, I did adjust all mentions of organic to natural, the reason being I have not yet heard from the direct wax distributor and so I did not feel comfortable continuing with those product claims.

I did speak with a contact who sells the wax to me, he reassured me that the wax was all organic, but before I moved forward with those claims I wanted to ensure the information he gave me was correct.

I had not responded back to this thread yet as I was awaiting as much information as I could gather for the group. I do apologize for the delay. We (myself, my brother, and friend) spend a great deal of time making each candle and we want to ensure the highest quality product we can produce.

Edited by WickedWineCandles

Guest OldGlory

Thanks for letting us know Andrew. I hope for your sake you can get the truth from your vendor(s). It's tough when you believe that you are representing your product correctly and later find out somewhere along the way you were given bad information. It's all part of the learning curve.

I completely agree with you. Taking our hobby, turning into a small little business by selling at local fairs, and now expanding online has presented a whole bunch of learning opportunities for us. And we love every second of it.

Making a product I love and running a small business has always been my dream from such a young age. Forums, such as this, as well as others I have met along the way, have been extremely helpful and I am very grateful.

p.s. - I will still post an update to this thread when we get the complete materials sheet from the maker.