Rts

kimmeroo

If you are talking about ready to sell I personally never have felt comfortable doing that online the risk is high. You have to hold a lot of inventory and may have to clearance things out from time to time. Clearance is harder online than in a brick and mortar store.

This is just my personal opinion from back when I ordered tarts (still do sometimes) instead of making them myself. Front Porch was a favorite of mine to buy from and they went to ready to sell. Before that I could place my order for exactly what I wanted and know I would get that. Now with their new concept, you almost have to sit online and wait to see if your scents are available to buy. I don't have time like that. I can't figure out why they haven't lost following unless I'm the only person who feels that way. It is beyond annoying to me to look at each of their categories and shapes to see if "my" scents "might" be available at this time to buy. Maybe other places sell less scents and it might be easier to maintain an inventory so people have access to all scents, but for me as a customer it totally turns me off. I guess if I could always find my choice ready to buy I'd be thrilled, but in my case (for example) there would need to be fifteen to twenty always made for my regular selection. If you offer twenty five scents maybe and that's pretty uncommon these days with the most popular places on the net offering many more, you're looking at a ton of inventory and somehow to store all of that. I am talking about ordering tarts by the way, not candles, and those would take up even more room. If I can place an order and be assured it's available and the place has a five to seven business day turnaround time, I'm happy. What doesn't make me happy is that this week I can get this scent but not that one so that means I come back another time and pay even more shipping or if it's for a gift and their scent isn't in stock at that time to purchase.. well, I will be going elsewhere. Maybe my thinking is old-fashioned because they certainly have been able to pull it off and grow as a company. Some other places I used to buy from who are doing that now often have a "not available at this time" on many photos and I just give up eventually. Seems like a lot of pressure for the candlemaker to always have everything available, but I guess if I didn't work full time I might be able to do that. And this is assuming that a company will be wildly popular and a steady stream of customers will be depleting inventory. If not, then clearances will be in order and it seems like once people start doing that it's what customers wait for instead of purchasing full price items. Just my thoughts as customer.

Jackie

It's not something I plan to to ever do. I like having a large variety available and I've never had a complaint about my shipping times.

I have a couple of friends who run their business this way. One just started and I am watching to see how it works out for her. She has an Etsy shop and only has about 30 items available compared to the 200+ that she used to.

The other friend who does this is very successful at it. Her business is a nail polish business.She's also on Etsy. She is a marketing genius though and any business she runs seems to turn to gold. lol. She creates a lot of hype about the products she's made and creates urgency about how many are left. It works wonders for her. I don't really want to run my business that way though.

It may work for you and it may not. I agree with Jackie from the customer's perspective. Especially as an online shopper. Unless I am a loyal customer to that particular business, I can usually find what I'm looking for right away somewhere else. My friend with the nail polish has very loyal customers because she has amazing products and gives wonderful customer service.

Is this thread more focused on B/B or soap? Because I can't imagine waiting to get an order to make candles. I keep a certain level of inventory on hand at all times. Of course, they don't "go bad" like b/b products can.

I am talking melts. But I do custom order's only and it is working well for me and I also sell candles and melts at a local Gallery. If I were to do RTS I have no clue how to go about it..do you just pick fo's and make a bunch and hope they sell? That is what I want to learn. :)

I've thought about this since you posted the question. I "think" you could only offer a couple of things like clamshells and/or cups. With shapes like bakery (buns, muffins, etc.) or any other molds, you have no idea of what shape someone is going to pick. It would be impossible (for me anyway) to house 25 scents in say five different molded shapes. The inventory would be astronomical. It probably could work just offering clams and cups.

You can absolutely be successful with a Ready-To-Ship online business. MANY makers do. Candles form The Keeping Room, Front Porch and others come to mind.

When I bought from others, I would not wait months (yes, months) to get product but many people are willing to do that. I only bought form Ready-To-Ship sellers.

I am teensy, itty-bitty in terms of selling but all I make only melts and all I do is RTS. I will never be wildly popular in the wax world because I do not offer what most want. Most want custom chunks and loaf, cake and pie slices. They want colorful multiple overpours of their choosing and they want "Pink Serendipity Ice Cream Scoop Zucchini Bread". I do not offer even one of those scents. Since my goal is not to be wildly popular in the wax super-users world, I am good. My scents are simple and my melts are naked. People who buy my melts buy them for strength, longevity and some buy because they are dye-free.

I do as kforbs. I have 40-ish scents and I have 20 or so made, labeled and ready to package of each. I dream of the day that I can schedule pouring days and shipping days but that is not today. I work 12 hours days so my pouring is weekend only. I would be very behind if I was doing custom at this time.

I mostly sell at the local Farmers Market or craftshows, very little on line. But I guess you can say that I sell only RTS. I only list the oils I carry and usually have candles made up (container). I will do special orders for the pillars. I haven't tried Etsy yet, thinking about it, but there are so many candles for sell on there not sure how well I would do.