Oil seeping from soap

Dana

Ok, I have never had this happen before. I was wondering (did a search and couldn't find answers) if maybe the lye was old and didn't saponify the oil completely? It seemed a little weird even at first when I added the lye (had to chisel it out of the can) to the frozen goats milk. The lye/milk mixture turned really thick... like it was ready to mild. Then when I added it to my oils it traced very quickly but I was using a new fragrance (honeysuckle) so thought that was why. Then within hours of molding the batch started seeping- big time. Puddles of oil are laying on top. Almost the entire batch is covered with oil. Not sure what to do with it now?

Does sound like the lye was past its prime and didn't fully saponify your oils. If I had to pry my lye out of the can I think I would just toss it and get some new lye.

I buy my lye now from Essential Depot. They ship fast and have really good prices plus I love their packaging. Keeps the lye protected and fresh longer.

Without knowing any specifics about your formula or process, what you describe sounds like classic overheating. Milk soap plus floral FO setting up fast=overheat and separation of some degree.

You can let it sit for a few days to see if the oils are reabsorbed into the log. If they don't you can tey a rescue with hot process.