Blending Fragrance Oils

LadyinCali

Last week I decided to try and start blending some fragrance oils - to be honest, I had no luck. For instance, I did a blend of carrot cake and coffee (20% coffee/80% Carrot Cake) when the tart started melting, all I could smell was the coffee. Tried another blend of Raspberry and Sugar Cookie - all I could smell was the raspberry. So, I have to ask - is there a specific formula for mixing scents ( I know, it's a dumb question) or is it just trial and error?? I have ordered a few tarts from a company online and she has tons of tarts that are a mixture of scents and they always smell amazing - when I try, it's a flop. She turns these things out so fast, it's hard to believe she is testing them all. So I'm wondering, is there a trick to this or just blend and be happy with what you get?????? This is so frustrating! Thanks in advance for your input!

I make melts all straight from the bottle just for testing. Then I take half of 2, 1/3 of 3 or other combination and go from there. Only then do I blend the oils together and make test melts. That way I already know if they blend well. Once I have percentages down, that blend joins the lineup.

I have a wonderful fresh pear. Everyone who smells it buys it. I thought for certain that it could be a mixer for spiced pear or baked apples and pears. It was awful. Too fresh and clean. I had to use another pear for mixing.

One of my goals this winter is to push myself with FOs I carry and get more creative with blending.

Guest OldGlory

I also make quite a few blends, but it does require a lot of testing. My first several attempts are always using the Qtip method. Once I have an OOB blend I like I put it in wax and that is the real test. Qtip method: I cut lots of Qtips in half, stock up on 1/2 oz or 1 oz bottles (either HDPE or PET plastic). Then I start with one Qtip dipped in a fragrance, drop it into the bottle, add a Qtip dipped in fragrance of the other fragrance(s) until I have each one represented. Next step, add one Qtip at a time in the fragrance you think is missing. Stop adding when you think you have it. Then, wait 3 days and let the scents merge. Smell it again. Add whatever you need. Wait 3 days. I continue this process until I get what I want. Then you have to test it in wax. Hope that helps!

Guest OldGlory

Oh geez, I completely forgot to mention keeping track of what you have in each bottle. I have also lost track and had to toss the bottle and start over. Be as detailed as you can be!

Like others, either q-tips or drops on a piece of paper towel. Then stored in a piece of folded aluminum foil or a glass jar since sometimes the plastic of a baggie can distort the scent to my nose. And keep a blending card with the drops. When i add a drop or two, don't forget to note it.

Don't mean to hijack anyones thread but I am also interested in blending at some point. Still learning the ropes of just the basics tho. I do have a question. How do you know the ratio of FO using the Qtip method? does a Qtip hold a certain amount of FO? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm still new and learning.

When I first started blending oils, I only had a couple that I liked, but even then they were just ok. So, I started snooping around perfume forums and one of the things I realized was, if you want a really good fragrance, you can't just mix 2 oils and expect something awesome.. Most of the fragrances I blend now have 5-10 different fragrance oils in them, and the difference has been amazing.. For example, I searched and searched for an awesome creme brulee, and I did find only one supplier that I really liked, but I wanted one to make my own.. So I looked up the actual food recipe for creme brûlée and tested from there. So now I absolutely LOVE my personal creme brûlée and it contains 8 different FOs and lasts forever in my tarts.. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I add different f.o to a cotton pad with a pipette. I start with let's say 3 f.o to the first pad, then the 3 + 1 to the second pad, 3 + 1 + 1 to the third pad and so on and so forth. That way I can go back and smell what each addition brings to the blend. I like to mix f.o's and e.o's. I find that the e.o's often add some flair to a bland and generic f.o. I find inspiration in perfume sites like Basenotes. I was a member there long before I started to make my own perfume and home fragrance. It's so much fun mixing and come up wih something original. Some fragrances are very dominant, and when mixing with a delicate floral f.ex, you have to use only a tiny amount of the stronger f.o. You have to know your top, middle and basenotes, and let the blend sit for a good amount of time before you know what it's gonna smell like in the end.