Fragrance Dilemma

Jeana

One of my accounts has fallen in love with a candle scent from another candle maker. They want me to duplicate it. I would love to simply contact the maker and ask them but we all know how we would feel about that, LOL. I was wondering if anyone has an idea how to figure out what FO was used? I've been doing this so long I feel stupid for asking but I'm desperate, LOL.

I found a similar scent from Rustic essentials but with shipping it will run me about $20 per pound. I could potentially be going through about 20lbs per month. $400 a month on one FO is crazy! They won't tell me who they get the scent from so I can buy it in bulk. Anyone know how I can figure that out?

And to make matters worse it is a time crunch too. They want the candle ASAP :tongue2:

Edited by Jeana

Did you explain to them that since this is not one of your regular scents you would have to do some research and develpment along with testing before you could even think of selling the new candle?

If you really want to do this and they really are serious about buying in bulk that you are talking about you need to sit down and have a meeting with them. Make sure you have a reasonable time frame to do your research and testing. They should be willing to fund your R&D or walk away.

I do custom scents with them all time. Usually I'm the one developing the scents for them though. This is the first time they have a request. I use the same containers and formulations so once i get the FO testing is a flash. The issue here is getting the exact FO or getting a dupe for a reasonable price. I already tested the rustic essential FO, it is ready to go but the price is crazy.

Is there a way to find out where RE gets the FO I tested already? And for that matter, i have other suppliers I would love to find out where they get their oils from too, like candle science.

Do you know who the candlemaker is? Are they a big company-- lots of dupes out there for companies like Yankee. Some better than the original. If you know the candlemaker and the scent perhaps you could post that and a scent description. Someone here might know exactly which scent you need.

Edited by Candybee

If you are looking at 20-25# a month you need to buy from the manufacturer not a reseller.

I started buying a few pounds at a time from resellers, but for the cost difference I found I could just buy 10#. I have even moved up to 25# of some like sugar cookie/pumpkin spice because the cost went down to $8-9 a pound. The company I use the most is Aromatic Fragrances International in GA. They have 10# minimums and carry most BBW/Yankee scents. They even did a few duplications for me at no cost. I just thought I would share. It's nice to see that you are moving in the right direction.

If you are looking at 20-25# a month you need to buy from the manufacturer not a reseller.

I started buying a few pounds at a time from resellers, but for the cost difference I found I could just buy 10#. I have even moved up to 25# of some like sugar cookie/pumpkin spice because the cost went down to $8-9 a pound. The company I use the most is Aromatic Fragrances International in GA. They have 10# minimums and carry most BBW/Yankee scents. They even did a few duplications for me at no cost. I just thought I would share. It's nice to see that you are moving in the right direction.

SLIGHT derailment-Delta if you get/use Yankee's Christmas Eve, I would love to purchase some from you. I cannot find a good match for this scent. PM me if you have interest. I would pay well for a good dupe of this.

Sorry. Carry on!

Guest OldGlory

I personally wouldn't bite. I just went thru this with my larger wholesale account and it didn't turn out well.

They sent me a candle from a big name candle company and asked me to duplicate it. (It was a brand that doesn't have a lid on the jar and I could barely get any scent from it at all!) First time they've asked for this sort of thing. In the past I would submit samples a few times a year and they would say yes or no.

I bought samples from all of my resources, mixed, poured, sent, waited for a response. I kept getting "no, there's too much (this) or not enough (that). Finally, after 3+ months, I found the right combination - and my source discontinued the fragrance that was the main ingredient. Then the buyer got a little pushy and tried to strong arm me by saying they would find someone who COULD make the candle if I couldn't. And that pissed me off enough to contact the VP of merchandising. The buyer and her assistant were gone within a month.

And they did not follow thru on the scent that I made for them.

I doubt I will get sucked into a situation like that again. There was simply no pleasing them.

Thank you Delta for sharing that. I would love to bypass resellers now, but I don't really know where to go. I will check out your place. Did you find when you had them make dupes the wick sizes changed?

Do you know who the candlemaker is? Are they a big company-- lots of dupes out there for companies like Yankee. Some better than the original. If you know the candlemaker and the scent perhaps you could post that and a scent description. Someone here might know exactly which scent you need.

The candle maker is small. But I think I may have figured the exact scent they used by looking at the scents they offer seeing they get most of the scents from the same supplier. I have a tester on the way now.

I personally wouldn't bite. I just went thru this with my larger wholesale account and it didn't turn out well.

They sent me a candle from a big name candle company and asked me to duplicate it. (It was a brand that doesn't have a lid on the jar and I could barely get any scent from it at all!) First time they've asked for this sort of thing. In the past I would submit samples a few times a year and they would say yes or no.

I bought samples from all of my resources, mixed, poured, sent, waited for a response. I kept getting "no, there's too much (this) or not enough (that). Finally, after 3+ months, I found the right combination - and my source discontinued the fragrance that was the main ingredient. Then the buyer got a little pushy and tried to strong arm me by saying they would find someone who COULD make the candle if I couldn't. And that pissed me off enough to contact the VP of merchandising. The buyer and her assistant were gone within a month.

And they did not follow thru on the scent that I made for them.

I doubt I will get sucked into a situation like that again. There was simply no pleasing them.

Thanks for sharing that. This is exactly why I wouldn't want to do this. I am like you in that I periodically take samples to my merchants. Just to show them what I have thats new or something I thought would be perfect for their target customers. It often works and I go away with a nice big order. It pays to know what your customers like!

But trying to dupe something I have no idea what it is-- no thanks! Sorry that happened to you.