fragrance adding temp

When using soy wax, what is the best temperature to add fragrance for best scent throw? Ive read conflicting answers on this, some say around 180 and others say lower, that if too high the fragrance would burn off...so what temps do you add your fragrance? Thanks!

I heat my soy wax to 180F remove the heat and add FO. I've been testing with smaller batches of wax (16 to 24oz) and the room temperature FO will cause the wax temp drop very quickly.

I don't want to hijack this thread but maybe my questions will help the OP as well. I wanted to ask

• Has anyone experimented with warming the FO so when added it wont plummet the wax temp so fast?
  • Does it matter if the wax temp drops that quickly?
  • Can I reheat to 180 and still bind the FO and wax properly or has the process pretty much finished inside the two minute stir?

I've been mostly testing wicks up to this point but I feel my CT and HT have a lot of room for improvement. Maybe my FO is not binding well due to the temps dropping to 150F so fast. 150F to 130F takes much longer.

Sorry for the more questions than answers. Hoping this might help others as well.

I've always done well heating soy to 185*, remove from heat, add fo and stir 2 minutes. I slightly warm heavier fo's to help incorporate into wax...works well. For citrus fo's, I add at a lower temp-175*, to avoid getting the 'fuel' smell....hth.

I heat my soywax to about 180....add FO/colorants. I've used EL container blend for approx. 10 years... have never heated oils before adding to wax and have no problem with FO's incorporating with wax during that time. I don't heat jars either, use them at room temp.

I use a 50 lb melter and measure into warm 8 cup glass measuring cups (keep them on warm in my oven) for mixing wax and as my pour pot. When adding FO I've not found that the temperature drops drastically using 8 cups of hot wax. I actually don't notice a plunge in temp at all, if there is a drop in temp, my thermometers don't pick it up so I imagine it's very minimal. I didn't notice a drop using 4 cup glass measuring cups either.

Edited by SherriLynn