Sometimes it is hard to stay motivated when...

ubure

....you discover that former customers have opened a business themselves where they offer products (that you carry as well) that have the same labelling on them with even the same font....and they sell more of it than you do.

I know, competition is good, but do they have to copy all your stuff? Of course, in the USA there is much more competiton in candle business, but I hate all this. Makes me so mad!

Thanks for letting me vent!

ubure

I always seem to inspire (haha) others to simply start a business and seel the same products they have bought from me before and this was even before I started selling candle supplies. I guess I should exclusively sell candle making supplies from now on. My sales during the last few weeks only have been 2 candles, the rest candle supplies. If I didn't need the money that badly I would quit. I hate all this dog-eat-dog mentality I have to participate in in order to keep afloat.

I have decided to accept the declaration of war:cool2:. I'm going to flood Germany with my candles (I can definitely say that I am the woman with the largest number of fragrance oils in her workshop here in Germany...well, 10 years of buying that stuff makes quite a big warehouse). Maybe I should change my attitude from "money is necessary but I need it" to "I love money....come here, come here, fine money!"

Put my headphones on, turned up the volume and now let's go on working.

Have a nice weekend, ladies and gentlemen.

Inez you crack me up!

But don't turn in the towel yet. Its one thing to start a business its another to stay afloat in this economy. I have seen so many businesses fold in the last few years. Is your competition buying her stock or making it herself? I ask because its harder to copycat a well made candle. I doubt she has the experience if she has to copy yours and your ideas.

Guest OldGlory

I learned the hard way that when they start asking technical questions they are going to start making the product. Happened to me too. And I kept asking "Why are you asking me these questions? Are you going to make candles?" She kept telling me no, it was too much work. A few months later I found out she was buying supplies to make candles. Liar liar, pants on fire, LOL!

I just have nothing kind to say about a person like that.

I have decided to accept the declaration of war:cool2:. I'm going to flood Germany with my candles (I can definitely say that I am the woman with the largest number of fragrance oils in her workshop here in Germany...well, 10 years of buying that stuff makes quite a big warehouse). Maybe I should change my attitude from "money is necessary but I need it" to "I love money....come here, come here, fine money!"

Put my headphones on, turned up the volume and now let's go on working.

Have a nice weekend, ladies and gentlemen.

:laugh2:Go get 'em Ubure!! You CAN do it!!! :highfive:

Thank you so much, guys, for the backing! You all know what I am talking about, we all have the same kind of problems.

This woman doesn't buy from me, but she has stolen my design. She doesn't use soy like I do and sells it to a much higher price. Last year she asked me about my labels...now I know why. I wanted to write her an email yesterday but that would have lowered my guard. My hubby always says "The answer is always given on the pitch" meaning don't argue, play your game and win (he is an avid soccer player, like my two boys). I have another customer (I wrote about that before) who decided after her first kg of soy she bought from me to start a business with melts/tarts. At least she bought my wax even though she got her fos from a company in GB. I know I have a much better quality - I have spent so much money and time testing them all (at least it feels like I have been testing each and every single oil out there *lol*) and I stick to really, really good fos like from Candle Cocoon, The Scent works etc. (only to mention a few - you in the US do have the best oils! I have been searching whole Europe for comparable oils, without any success. Those few good ones are much too expensive).

I wish all of you always a lot of business and may there be always enough money to pay all your bills - and dreams, if they can be bought with money!

ubure

I have seen this movie before. People steal ideas, designs, pictures, names, you name it they'll steal it. They have this notion that making candles is easy and they are going to make a lot of money. But they are not interested in the hard work, the testing until you get it right so they just produce crap. And customers will not buy a crap candle twice...end of their business.

Sliver,

I had the same thought and you are probably right. It's only that people won't buy many candles as they are allegedly more expensive than making your own (which is of course nonsense as we all know...just think of all the testing...). At the moment DIY is such a big hit and to be honest I don't mind if they buy their stuff for making candles from me. There will always be a few who don't want to mess around with making their own candles and they will go on buying candles.

If I think of how I started making candles and how addicted I was to buying new fos, dyes, wax, molds, wicks etc. it makes me assume that others will behave similarly and buy more and more supplies from me.

As I said before: 2 candles in 3 weeks but a lot of more orders for wax and fos.

annie, those two customers only make tarts and that is quite easy. People tend to buy a lot of those tarts and nuggets, more than container candles. It is cheaper they think, lasts longer etc.

I cannot do anything except doing more marketing and staying better than they are.

I too, have had my design stolen from me. I did email her. I told her why not have fun with this business and come up with your own design? Why steal mine? I then applied for a trademark and she is out of business now. Took a year, but she is out of business, lol. I WIN! ;)

Thanks again to all for sharing your experiences and tips here with me. It feels much better when you can talk to people who can relate!

Last night I wasn't able to sleep. Suddenly everything seemd to threatening. I need to make more sales quick, there are bills to pay I don't know where to get the money for. But well, I guess I'm not alone with this. And I got so angry about this woman. Although it is a bit unfair because I could be in her position if I hadn't been ill so long and often during the last years where I lost so many customers. But enough - I have to go on and work much harder I guess. How many hours per day do you work (if you do this for a living)? At them moment it is about 8-10 hours. I have to take care of our house and my family as well, of course.

Sliver,

I have done several classes for soap-making. People only book such a class if it as cheap as hell. Germans have money for holiday travels, cars, electronic stuff but otherwise are avaricious. The crisis is everywhere but here it seems people still have enough money for luxury things. Maybe I should sell for a much higher price.

Dana, it was very tempting to write her. But it makes no sense.