inductive stove

Now that inductive cooktops are available are they good too use to heat wax? They claim to have very accurate temperature control. Has anyone tried these?

I'm sure these stove tops screw up electronics near by. It is an EMF after all. Also I have not heard good things about EMF exposure, but these are new so most likely there is no data available yet on health issues. But i digress back to my original question.

Edited by Gbhunter

From a Chef's point of view, you MUST make sure you have cookware that can be used on these stoves. If it isn't magnetic, it won't work. Cast iron will work, but even some stainless steel's don't.

The experts say that the radiation isn't anything to have an issue about, but they also give warnings about people with pace makers etc. It can mess up anything electronic and sensitive. It can also mess up people who are highly sensitive to electromagnetism.

I am very sensitive to electromagnetism. I get very sick with low frequencies and super powerful magnets, if they are touching me, make my skin tingle. Although I have never really tested myself, certain places on our property make me out of breath and dizzy.....I suspect they have a higher EMF rating etc.

I have no problem with using a water source to heat my wax. I know that I can not over heat it. These cooktops are very expensive and complicated to install. All of my pour pots are aluminum, so they wouldn't work anyway. I read about the superior temperature control, but I haven't seen ANYONE who works with chocolate switch to one, even on a large commercial level. Chocolate and sugar Chefs are in need of very precise equipment.

I have an induction cooktop. It is extremely accurate, and can do very high heat (hotter than most home gas cooktops--it can boil water in about half the time that it would take on a high-powered gas burner) and extremely low, controlled heat. Yes, you can melt chocolate without a double boiler. And wax.

Lots of professional chefs/pastry chefs do use them--they are pretty common in commercial kitchens. Less so in homes in the US, probably because of the cost, though they are very common in European homes. They are not at all complicated to install--I installed our cooktop myself, and involves exactly the same setup as an electric cooktop. Which is to say, you plug it in. It is true that solid aluminum pans/pots won't work on them; you need something magnetic. Cast iron works great, and most good clad-aluminum cookware (like All-Clad) is also designed to work with induction.

I highly recommend induction for cooking; I would never willingly go back to either gas or electric. All that being said, a Presto Pot is probably a simpler (and more affordable) solution for candle making.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2013 at 9:23 PM, bsones said:

I have an induction cooktop. It is extremely accurate, and can do very high heat (hotter than most home gas cooktops--it can boil water in about half the time that it would take on a high-powered gas burner) and extremely low, controlled heat. Yes, you can melt chocolate without a double boiler. And wax.

Lots of professional chefs/pastry chefs do use them--they are pretty common in commercial kitchens. Less so in homes in the US, probably because of the cost, though they are very common in European homes. They are not at all complicated to install--I installed our cooktop myself, and involves exactly the same setup as an electric cooktop. Which is to say, you plug it in. It is true that solid aluminum pans/pots won't work on them; you need something magnetic. Cast iron works great, and most good clad-aluminum cookware (like All-Clad) is also designed to work with induction.

I highly recommend induction for cooking; I would never willingly go back to either gas or electric. All that being said, a Presto Pot is probably a simpler (and more affordable) solution for candle making.

I may consider getting a presto pot; Then Using a Temp. Controlled induction to keep my pour pots warm! :)

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

• 3 months later...

Through a series of coincidences, I now have an induction single 'burner'. I'd been thinking of buying one last year for cooking, but besides cast iron, I only had one SS pot that would work, so I decided not to get one. But, recently, without thinking about induction or wax, I got an entire set of newish Emeril cookware at a yard sale for $20. I've been using the two sauce pans (with nice dripless pour spouts) on my gas stovetop/double boiler to melt and pour wax. Since they are relatively new, they are also 'induction ready'.

Even longer story short, I'm now melting my wax in my Emeril pans, directly on the new induction 'burner' ....and just loving it. I put a sheet of paper between the bottom of the pan and the 'burner' top to keep it clean. Some people cook with a paper towel (or silicon mat) between their pans and their stove tops. But I would be cautious about that at really higher temperatures.

Mine was about $70 on Amazon, and there's an even cheaper one at Costco, though not as nice IMO. It is so much cooler, and imo safer than the double boiler method.  And no water to make things messy nor uncomfortable. And I'm no longer working in the kitchen so my cooking stovetop is now free too. The conductive burner is temperature controlled down to 140*F in 20 degree increments. At $70 I would not have purchased one just for melting wax on my small scale. If I was a candle pro, other things would be better. But for cooking in the summer and keeping the house cooler? you betcha. Being able to melt wax on it is a pleasant bonus.

Edited by Incendia