Business Insurance ??

Well, my wife and I have been talking about going to the next level. We are thinking about starting our own business. Currently we sell to family, friends, and co-workers. Would like to pick up a few wholesale accounts also. The local day care center has contacted us about a fundraiser for the spring.

So, it's going to be time to get our sales tax #, and liability insurance. Our homeowners insurance company will not write it, but have talked to a couple of other companies who will.

My question is how much coverage do you carry? I would want to have enough to cover the "responsible customers". Do you also have some kind of manufacturer insurance, or is bundled together?

TIA

My friend and I were just discussing this today. We have only been doing this for about 6 months and are trying to decide if we should start this now, or wait to see how the business goes. Does everyone here that does craft shows have a tax id's and insurance (New York State)? I think we need to talk to an accountant.....any advice?

My friend and I were just discussing this today. We have only been doing this for about 6 months and are trying to decide if we should start this now, or wait to see how the business goes. Does everyone here that does craft shows have a tax id's and insurance (New York State)? I think we need to talk to an accountant.....any advice?

I dont do craft shows so cant help you there. But if you are in Upstate NY I can help you with Ins.

I carry a 1milliion PL for $182 a yr.

I dont do craft shows so cant help you there. But if you are in Upstate NY I can help you with Ins.

I carry a 1milliion PL for $182 a yr.

So does the insurance have to come from the state you live in? I'm in CA and I, like Trish, have gotten much higher quotes than you have.

I was recently asked to start selling at a new farmers market, and unfortunately they require insurance before I can start. (Why? I don't know.) I'm not really ready for insurance but I hate missing out on this. I could handle $182 per year though.

So does the insurance have to come from the state you live in? I'm in CA and I, like Trish, have gotten much higher quotes than you have.

I was recently asked to start selling at a new farmers market, and unfortunately they require insurance before I can start. (Why? I don't know.) I'm not really ready for insurance but I hate missing out on this. I could handle $182 per year though.

Unfortunatly The company is based in NY and will only take on Upstate NY risks.

I had no problems getting insurance. One company had quoted me about $130 a month!!!!!! I feel I got a good deal at $324 a year and am quite happy with my policy. For those having trouble, try insurance companies that specialize in business insurance and see if that helps. Also, try the little guys cuz they might be willing to insure you. Either way, the best of luck to you all.

Hello everyone!

I just joined and this is my first post so please forgive the "stupid questions".:o

I'm a nurse and have my own malpractice insurance and of course, homeowners, car, health, etc, and I understand what all those cover. I'm considering doing craft fairs, but didn't realize I'd need business insurance.

What does it cover you for? Do the craft fair administrators require it?

Hello everyone!

I just joined and this is my first post so please forgive the "stupid questions".:o

I'm a nurse and have my own malpractice insurance and of course, homeowners, car, health, etc, and I understand what all those cover. I'm considering doing craft fairs, but didn't realize I'd need business insurance.

What does it cover you for? Do the craft fair administrators require it?

You have Malpractice Ins....Being an Insurance Agent I have Errors and Ommissions Ins. Basically you need professional business Ins for all professions. The insurance you need for Crafting is called Product Liability. and yes, most craft shows will require that you have it.

I'm covered for $1 million each episode thru State Farm.

Does this vary by state or what? We have all of our insurance through State Farm and called our agent Friday and they said they don't do product liability. Offered me insurance if I have a home based store front where people may fall and get hurt but not on the products.:undecided

Does this vary by state or what? We have all of our insurance through State Farm and called our agent Friday and they said they don't do product liability. Offered me insurance if I have a home based store front where people may fall and get hurt but not on the products.:undecided

I'm not sure if it varies from state to state. Maybe it does because of state insurance laws?? But I had no problem getting it. I've been with State Farm for years and years. They had some guy come out and inspect me and ask me all kinds of questions. I showed them my set up and got approved. I also have store front and am insured for falls and that kind of stuff as well as for product liability.

It definitly varries state by state. I write Ins in NY and PA for Allstate. The risks I can write in NY and PA are totally different. Each Insurance company has to petition the State Ins Dept as to which types of Ins they will offer. The state Ins dept has to give them the OK before they can offer that type of Ins.

I cannot write candlemakers in NY or PA but I have heard that in FL Allstate will write them. I dont know for sure because I am not licensed in that state.