Trouble with French Vanilla - Ecosoya CB135

Hi everyone!

I have been testing for weeks now and cannot figure out why I can't get a good hot scent throw in my Peaks French Vanilla. Here is what I am using:

Jar: 8 oz Mason

Wax: Ecosoya CB135

Wick: Cotton Core C70 / 75

I have tried all sorts of temperature combination and the best so far is heating the wax to 185, adding the scent at 180 and pouring at 105. For this candle I used an 8% FO load. (I've tested with anywhere from 6% to 12% with similar results) I started with a C70 wick and got NO scent so re-wicked it with a C75. The scent throw was much better but now I have a huge flame, big burn pool and the jar gets a little hotter than I would like.

I am getting awesome scent throw with Amish Harvest and Pink Sugar and I thought French Vanilla was one of those stronger scents so I am puzzled! Could I just need to move away from a cotton core wick? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Emily

Edited by EmJean

I have French vanilla and poured two sixteen oz mason jars using c3 heated to 180 added fragrance poured at 140 did not smell much at all after one week. Lit the other after 4 weeks and it has a very nice throw in my bedroom but not filling a living room area. I do love the smell. I got a warm vanilla sugar from lodestar and want to try the very vanilla from CS. Hope you can get a throw with a longer cure.

I am going to go light my first one up again to see if the cure time made a difference. However, I think I added the FO at too low of a temp on that one anyways so wouldn't be surprised if there was still no throw. I'm waiting for Very Vanilla and Warm Vanilla Sugar from Candlescience to come in the mail - let me know how you like the Lonestar one!

I am still waiting for it to cure it has been one week i am giving it two it smells wonderful Cold, however using just one oz per pound I have sweating on the top of the candle with my C3, I have had that happen when I tried to do 8.5 but not before with one oz PP.

Reporting back that I did not get a great ht with Warm Vanilla Sugar after two week cure, 16 oz with 1 0z fragrance poured in a Heritage Mason jar with C3 and Eco 10 wick, it will smell good in small bathroom that is it, I am off to order Very Vanilla. I am going to try the warm vanilla sugar in tarts with 10 percent FO as I use a C3/pillar blend mix of 50/50 and can add more oil hope that works so I can use up the 8 oz bottle, I love the scent just does not throw strong enough for me for my candles.

I am going to go light my first one up again to see if the cure time made a difference. However, I think I added the FO at too low of a temp on that one anyways so wouldn't be surprised if there was still no throw. I'm waiting for Very Vanilla and Warm Vanilla Sugar from Candlescience to come in the mail - let me know how you like the Lonestar one!

How did that work out for you?? I am really searching for a good vanilla! Would love to hear how yours did.

Not real good! So far the best one is at about 6% FO. It does have hot throw but not as strong as I would like. I started switching out wicks and was able to get a better throw when I downsized the wick a little bit. I'm using cotton core now but I think I'll try a few different kinds before I completely give up on this scent. I made a Very Vanilla on 10/7 that I'm going to go test burn right now. Not sure if it's had long enough to cure but I can't wait any longer! Really wish I could get the Peaks to work though - it's not strong but I love the scent.

I use CB 135 and my two main vanillas, Vanilla Voodoo from CC and Mexican Vanilla from Sothwest Candle supply (former Just by nature) throw extremely well, even without curing. Never had any problems with these fos.

EDIT: I use CDN wicks - best performance for me in CB 135

Edited by ubure

Well, I've been able to get a decent hot throw in the bathroom and bedroom so far. I'm hoping it's a wicking problem. I've been testing Peaks CO wicks and LX and this seems to need something in between sizes. What do you guys do when that happens? I would scrap this FO completely and move on but now I'm running into the same wicking issue with a few other scents. So frustrating!!

I never had much luck with LX wicks in jars. For pillars they work great for me, but for jars there is only CD or CDN wicks for me.

Candybee, Mexican Vanilla isn't such a sweet vanilla so poeple who normally don't like vanillas buy this scent.