Creating a catalog

chrisasst

Hello! I retired from my flower nursery a few years ago but for many years I relied on the PagePlus Desktop publishing program. It has been and still is highly recommended but strangely few people know about it. Here is the link: http://www.serif.com/pageplus/ I don't use it anymore but when I did it was a god-send. It costs $100 but if you are serious about making a very good catalog - both for print and easily converting to a pdf file (so people can download it) - I recommend this program.

If you should consider this program contact the company that makes it - Serif - and see if you could get a percentage discount for becoming a new customer. It is worth a try. Please remember, if you go for a cheap or free program expect cheap results. You need to put your best foot forward in highlighting your products. Hope this helps you!

Hello! I retired from my flower nursery a few years ago but for many years I relied on the PagePlus Desktop publishing program. It has been and still is highly recommended but strangely few people know about it. Here is the link: http://www.serif.com/pageplus/ I don't use it anymore but when I did it was a god-send. It costs $100 but if you are serious about making a very good catalog - both for print and easily converting to a pdf file (so people can download it) - I recommend this program.

If you should consider this program contact the company that makes it - Serif - and see if you could get a percentage discount for becoming a new customer. It is worth a try. Please remember, if you go for a cheap or free program expect cheap results. You need to put your best foot forward in highlighting your products. Hope this helps you!

I agree Moody Glenn, if you go with cheap, not good results. That is why I have always used Adobe products. They are pricey, but in the end result is excellent!

Adobe is going to be up there amongst the industry standards. While it is extremely expensive (indesign is $699 by itself) to buy the programs, Adobe does offer monthly subscription plans. for a single program it's 19.99/month with a 1yr commitment, or 29.99 for a month to month plan. http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/buying-guide.html

If you can learn computer programs fast, and don't plan using the layout program often, the month to month plan could turn out to be the cheapest route for one of the best programs. You'll want to figure in the time it takes to learn the program well enough to put something together (I'm sure you can find numerous tutorials), also the time it takes to actually put your catalog together. Sketch it out on paper before purchasing the program to get an idea of what you want then work it into the program.

For catalogs you also have to look beyond the software.

You want high quality higher resolution pictures

Quality paper

Quality printing

Binding

In the vast majority of situations, a home printer is not going to be the best option for a professional looking catalog. There are times you maybe able to get a way with it, just know your audience.

Regular printers do a good enough job for everyday items, not really a great enough job for something you're using to persuade people to purchase products from you. it will also take more time than to print them off then it'd be worth for the quality you receive.. You also need better paper than regular copy paper and for some papers, a regular printer won't print well on them.

I would recommend at least talking to a print shop. whether it's a local print shop or something like staples. They will let you know which program they use and what document formats they accept. They may even offer design services. They'll also be able to give you an estimate, and ideas for binding.

There maybe an option to have the pages printed and then you bind them yourself using something like a comb binder.There's also other various types of bindings each one uses a different contraption. Personally, I feel comb binding is a good option. outside the cost of the machine, the binding is cheap, but still has a professional feel.

While a print shop will cost more, the time they spend printing the catalogs, you can spend making candles. You'll also have a great looking product.

Moody Glen, so why don't you use it anymore, if I may ask? Did you go to a different program or just not designing anymore?

Hi Dana! I am sorry for the long delay in replying back to your question. I retired from my flower nursery a few years ago and no longer had use for it (even though I have since started a soap making business.) I made a great catalog with the program. Today, I use my website for selling soap and do not make a catalog or brochure. A brochure would be very nice if I was to sell at craft shows and such. Overall I feel it is a good buy and has many powerful features.

Hi Chris... It will probably depend on how large of a catalog you'd like to have, also how many copies and if you want to take it to a professional printer or print them yourself.

I've used Printshop for many years for all my labeling, brochures and catalogs. My catalogs are usually 8 - 10 pages in size.,,, 8.5 x 11 size paper folded in half and stapled, like a booklet. I use various types of paper. Usually cardstock for the outside cover and at least 24 lb paper for the inside pages. My catalogs are mainly used for fundraisers, potential wholesale clients and to take home from my storefront. I hand out brochures and business cards at shows.