Christmas Tree scent

Karen M

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops, I made a mistake. It was 8-GRAN-ONES who used many of Berts oils. Yes I am so sad she is OOB. I am trying to dupe her Christmas Tree. It was very nice. Strong, fresh (almost cool, like candy cane added) Pinyon Pine from Moonworks is close but not strong enough. I would love to try Fillmores. I currently do not purchase any oils from there tho but have to find something soon.

I'm going to get the two I just got into wax melts today and also pour Bert's so I'll compare side by side as they cure and

then melt in electric warmer (light bulb type). I'll let you know how they compare. I could use .5 oz of Bert's Pine Tree (Christmas Tree) and still

get a killer throw in C3

Ok in wax and just closed lids on melts. The Candle Source's Oregon Pine Needle is very close to Bert's even in color. It's a true pine needle scent with no woodsy scent detected by my

nose, so far I really like it. I doubt it's going to be as strong but it does need to cure some. Now the Christmas Tree from them is different and much darker in color. It's more of a woodsy scent and while

it's nice I prefer the straight pine needle scent.

Kandlekrazy, I am interested in how they compare! As I said earlier in the thread Moonworks Pinion Pine is the right scent, just not as strong. Hoping this one from Candle Source will hit the mark! Course, I don't use them as a supplier (yet) but will do what I have to do. I have a big order due in a couple weeks.

Kandlekrazy, I am interested in how they compare! As I said earlier in the thread Moonworks Pinion Pine is the right scent, just not as strong. Hoping this one from Candle Source will hit the mark! Course, I don't use them as a supplier (yet) but will do what I have to do. I have a big order due in a couple weeks.

I will let you know in a few days when I melt them. I love Candle Source, most fo's are great in soy and they don't cost a fortune. I ordered a bunch of Christmas scents and I think I'm going to keep them all in my line, love the Joyeux Noel,

Chirstmas Splendor & Sleighride. In regular scents I use so many I can't remember them all but True Lavender, Pink Sugar, Orange Vanilla are def customer favorites.

Ok, the Orgeon Pine Needle from Candle Source is extremely close in scent to Bert's Christmas tree while melting. It does seem slightly lighter but that could be my nose

going from room to room to compare. I really doubt it will last as long as Bert's but time will tell. I melt 2 clamshell cubes all day (about 8 hours) and see how many days they last.

I use the same lightbulb warmers for both tests. So far 2 days going pretty close. I have my son checking as well.

Edited by kandlekrazy

• 1 month later...

I poured a bunch of pine testers today. It was mostly a parade of disappointment, but I thought I'd share my notes in case anyone else might find them helpful. For comparison, I have a small tester of WSP's Frasier Fir, which is a bit light, but also the most natural-smelling pine FO that I have ever found. I also have a small jar of Yankee's Mountain Pine, which is--by far!--the best pine-scented candle I have ever encountered. Natural, cool, green, and pleasantly sharp without being Pine Sol-y, and it throws like crazy. They claim that they use pine EOs in it, but I have yet to find an EO that smells like this candle. It's the best pine scent they have ever done, so of course being Yankee, they discontinued it.

So, my notes. All fragrances poured at 8% in 3 oz. testers using IGI 4627...

Mountain Pine (Peak): I've heard people rave about this, but I have no idea why. It smells almost--not quite, but almost--exactly like Silly Putty. I don't get pine or fir or anything remotely natural from this FO. Thumbs down.

Douglas Fir (SOS): This is a newer scent that had no reviews on their site, but I thought I'd give it a try. It smells nothing like Douglas fir, but it does smell almost exactly like verbena. So much so that I'm sort of wondering if I might have gotten a mislabeled bottle. The funny thing is that it smells good--just not like fir. At all. Thumbs sort of up, but only if you are looking for a good verbena FO.

Forever Pine (SOS): Kind of a woody base with notes of musk and perfume. Where's the pine? Thumbs down.

Blue Spruce (Candle Science): This was perhaps the least disappointing pour of the day. It's not great, but I can at least identify it as a pine scent. It's not a green/sweet sort of pine scent--more warm and sharp with maybe a little bit of an apple note. It has a distinctly artificial smell to it, but at least you can tell that it's supposed to be pine. Thumbs down.

Pine Cones (Candle Science): Another pine FO that smells nothing like pine. Or pine cones. A little woody with a hint of spice and a weird, sweet undertone. Like the Blue Spruce, it smells very artificial. The sort of scent you might expect to encounter in a hospital gift shop. Thumbs down.

Fir Needle Essential Oil (New Directions Aromatics): Just to try something that should smell like pine. And it does, but as with most pine EO's it's really quite heavy on the turpentine notes (what people typically refer to as "the Pine Sol smell"). Not something that would be pleasant on its own, but a small amount might make a nice addition to a pine FO that needs some punch. Thumbs sort of up.

Fir Balsam Essential Oil (New Directions Aromatics): Same as the Fir Needle oil, but a bit warmer and sharper. Same conclusion.

The search for a good pine FO continues...

I have, and I'm not a fan. To be fair, I'm pretty picky about pine scents (or any scent, really). That said, pretty much every pine-type scent I've tried from CS smells very artificial to me. Mistletoe also has too much other stuff mixed in--there's a really strong fruit note in that one, IIRC. I'm looking mainly for outdoors-y pine scents, not holiday ones. Sharp and green, sweet and earthy--like standing in a grove of pine trees. No fruit, no spice. Pine scents that I like include Yankee's Mountain Pine and Thyme's Frasier Fir (it's not a very good thrower, but I like the smell). Most of Yankee's other pine scents are good, too, though less so than they used to be. I bought a jar of Balsam and Cedar in their new wax formulation, and the throw was very light. Paddywax's Woodlands series has a couple of decent pine scents, and Archipelago's Birch (which is actually a pine scent) is okay.

Edited by bsones

I settled on the Oregon Pine Needle from The Candle Source. I like it even though it's not as strong as Bert's, nor did it last as long. It's been selling pretty steady in the last month and no complaints as of yet!

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try. Did you happen to try Pine/fir from Fillmore?

I doubt if there ever will be a agreement on this subject. I suppose few fragrances are more subjective than good old pine. When I first began making candles many moons ago you could count on one hand the number of fragrances available to home candle crafters. Pine represented one of the fingers on that hand. The middle finger! Since that time, I've been searching in vain for perfection. The one that I like the best, though, is not a true pine fragrance, but it is the "piney" class.

"Mistletoe" has evolved as a year long favorite for me, my family and most of my customers.

I like several supplier's versions; Candlescience, Peaks, Crafter's Choice and Mill Creek.

I keep a bottle of some "Mistletoe" hiding out (in a safe place) so I can sniff it for a quick pick-me-up on an "off-day".

Weird? Yep!; But Honest! JMO

Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy
I'm STILL a MORON!