Best Type/ mold/ for pillars

I am not sure where you live.. but I buy my molds from either taylored concepts out of dallas or candles and supplies out of pennsylvania.

The taylored molds come predrilled with a wick plug assembly.. they have a pin with a rubber insert to stop leaking so no need to use mold sealer. I love this.

The candles and supplies are also predrilled but no pin/plug assembly.. so i ordered the plug assemblies from taylored and drilled out the hole a little bigger to let it fit..(they will give you instructions how to do this if you need to).

I have not used anything but aluminum in my pillar molds.. so I am not sure about the others.. but I am very happy with the aluminum. But my votive molds are metal and I have had no problem with them either.

I really love my seamless aluminum molds and I like the wick plug assembly very much! Never leaks and dont have to worry about sealing the molds.

I am sure others who have been making pillars much longer than me will chime in :)

HTH!

DaisyFairy

Thanks for your advice !

We live in Indiana.

I have never tried to make pillars yet but I really love their look.

I will have to do a search for instructions to gear up and experiament as soon as I figure out all the supplies I need.

Crossing my figures I don't have to add another supplier on the list. LOL

Brooke

Seamless aluminum rocks! I love them because you dont have to trim the seam, obviously since there isnt one, they turn out really nice, and all you have to do to finish them is level the bottom. Less work. And with a few uses candles come out of the aluminum molds beautifully. I have retired all my non-aluminum pillar molds because of this...lol

edited to say: Peak has seamless molds at a good price also...

Trish I love your signature! lol!!!! hubby is a computer programer/tech.. so that really hits home! :)

I think I used the wrong term in last post... my molds don't have plugs so to speak.. it is like a rubber ring with a hole in the center and the pin goes in that... so the rubber ring keeps it from leaking... if that makes sense. But you have to drill out the predrilled hole a little bigger to allow the rubber ring to fit.

I have only found those so far at taylored concepts ... they call them plug pins.... but I am sure someone else somewhere does them the same way. :)

DaisyFairy

Trish I love your signature! lol!!!! hubby is a computer programer/tech.. so that really hits home! :)

LOL! My dh says he wonders what the house would look like if he actually took away my computer... I told him he wouldn't know what the house would look like, because if he takes away my computer, he won't be living here anymore! :P

Seamless aluminum are by far the most popular, I believe. I love them. I do also have some of the tin molds with seams though. None of mine have to be trimmed though, as the seam are at the corners anyway. Aluminum are less expensive usually and don't rust, however there are many shapes that done come in them and the tins molds tend to give a much more shiny finish. I've not used the polycarbonate for pillars, just can't give up the use of my heat gun, especially for cleaning afterwards ;)

Man there's a best mold to use out there? Wow.

Your advantages for:

Seamless aluminum -- no seams to trim, doesn't get too hot to handle, comes in various shapes, albeit selective, and won't cut your fingers, won't lose it's solder or spring a leak if sealed off right

Tin/metal molds -- some have seams to trim, easy to use a water bath with these, rusts only if not really properly cared for, bigger selection of sizes, can give blood tests if you aren't careful in spots ;)

Polycarbonate molds -- great for seeing what you're doing and come in a variety of styles that seamless and metal don't.

Plastic molds -- Wide selection of shapes, easy to do a water bath, easy to clean, extremely inexpensive yadda, yadda, yadda lol

Silicone molds -- Wonderful for intricate details and really creative designs. Won't leak, can pour hot, hot, hot into etc.

Disadvantages:

Seamless -- limited shapes and designs, but really great to play with for techniques. Will scratch, just like any mold, but can be lightly sanded. Not so great for water baths, but hey, weight it on top and it isn't so bad. Will dent fairly easily if you constantly drop or throw them. ;)

Tin/metal -- They suck when the solder comes loose lol! Can cut you, as mentioned before. Can rust. Can be a PITA to clean. Can scratch and dent easily.

Polycarbonate -- can't use a lot of scent with these as it will eat away the plastic.

Plastic molds -- lining them up is sometimes a PITA. Taping them off so they don't leak is sometimes a pain. Getting them tight enough so the seam is easier to trim is kind of a pain. Will eventually become brittle and break.

Silicone molds -- getting the pour temperature right so it doesn't constantly leave a frost is a pain. Getting that frosting out of every nook and cranny can be a pain lol. Wonderful cuz it doesn't need mold release though ;) But what sucks the most is the cost of them lol!

I think I used the wrong term in last post... my molds don't have plugs so to speak.. it is like a rubber ring with a hole in the center and the pin goes in that... so the rubber ring keeps it from leaking... if that makes sense. But you have to drill out the predrilled hole a little bigger to allow the rubber ring to fit.

I have only found those so far at taylored concepts ... they call them plug pins.... but I am sure someone else somewhere does them the same way. :)

DaisyFairy

I bought some molds on EBay years ago, and they have the rubber grommet in the wick holes. I still use putty on the base of the wick pin on those just to be safe. I prefer the seamless aluminum molds, but the steel sheetmetal ones can give a smoother finish.

I like the tin, because almost all of mine get water baths. I don't like them for round candles, though. Too much of a seam that never completely polishes out.

I hate plastic. Pour a little too hot and they melt. ( you'd figure I would have learned, after the third time.)

Get wick pins. There are other ways and I've tried them. Get wick pins. You'd have a better chance of taking my teeth away from me than my wick pins.

My all time favorite mold :

http://www.peakcandle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCMS&Product_Code=MLD-OCTSPR27565&Category_Code=MLD-SPR

Easy to wick, just different enough to get attention. I like it. Your mileage may vary.

One thing to ask yourself is what size/shape you want. That could narrow your choices.

Seamless only come in certain shapes. Figurine type candles can only come from plastic or silicone.

The frost from silicone molds lessens if you pour hotter.

You might consider a pillar starter kit, even if you're already doing containers or something else. You can always use an extra pour pot and thermometer. I've never not desperatly needed at least two more of each, no matter how many I had. :)

BTW: Get wick pins.

Man there's a best mold to use out there? Wow.

Your advantages for:

Seamless aluminum -- no seams to trim, doesn't get too hot to handle, comes in various shapes, albeit selective, and won't cut your fingers, won't lose it's solder or spring a leak if sealed off right

Tin/metal molds -- some have seams to trim, easy to use a water bath with these, rusts only if not really properly cared for, bigger selection of sizes, can give blood tests if you aren't careful in spots ;)

Polycarbonate molds -- great for seeing what you're doing and come in a variety of styles that seamless and metal don't.

Plastic molds -- Wide selection of shapes, easy to do a water bath, easy to clean, extremely inexpensive yadda, yadda, yadda lol

Silicone molds -- Wonderful for intricate details and really creative designs. Won't leak, can pour hot, hot, hot into etc.

Disadvantages:

Seamless -- limited shapes and designs, but really great to play with for techniques. Will scratch, just like any mold, but can be lightly sanded. Not so great for water baths, but hey, weight it on top and it isn't so bad. Will dent fairly easily if you constantly drop or throw them. ;)

Tin/metal -- They suck when the solder comes loose lol! Can cut you, as mentioned before. Can rust. Can be a PITA to clean. Can scratch and dent easily.

Polycarbonate -- can't use a lot of scent with these as it will eat away the plastic.

Plastic molds -- lining them up is sometimes a PITA. Taping them off so they don't leak is sometimes a pain. Getting them tight enough so the seam is easier to trim is kind of a pain. Will eventually become brittle and break.

Silicone molds -- getting the pour temperature right so it doesn't constantly leave a frost is a pain. Getting that frosting out of every nook and cranny can be a pain lol. Wonderful cuz it doesn't need mold release though ;) But what sucks the most is the cost of them lol!

Man!!! you are a wealth of information.

I should get instructions from you too:rockon:

Perfect Thanks

brooke