What do you do with what you don't sell?

A friend of mine and I are getting ready to do a craft show in October and I've been pouring tarts and clamshells so I won't be rushing around at the last minute (which is my usual way to do things) and I'm wondering what I will do if a lot of this doesn't sell. How long are they good to hold on to? Last Christmas, I pretty much sold everything I made with the exception of a few bags of tarts, but I was selling to co-workers, family and friends and didn't have near as much done as I do now.

Just curious what everyone does and hoping I'm not pouring all of this only to have tons of tarts left over and running out of my ears! LOL!

Thanks!

Well, other than selling some to friends and family, I just do y corporation's free one day show. Last year (my first year) I took almost 700 bags of melts. I sold almost $400 worth which was good (especially as the show costs me nothing to participate and they provide/arrange it all) but that meant that I came home with several hundred.

I did not have a mechanism then to sell so I stuffed bags full and shared with single and stay-at-home moms from my church. I also made up a few baskets for silent auctions for things in my community (sweet child with cancer, fundraiser for pet shelter, etc.).

I plan to see what I have leftover this year and decide what to do. I will keep a bunch for myself and now that I have a Facebook page, perhaps offer a "special" on there (buy 6, get 2 free, etc.) if I have way more than I can use. My stepdaughter and my daughter-in-law will each get a big flat rate box stuffed full as well.

Those are all great ideas!

I have donated several baskets to different organizations for auction to raise money for one young man that was murdered and the community started a scholarship fund and also his mom and dad needed help for funeral expenses. A couple of baskets went to our high school to help with a couple of organizations there.

I guess my friends, family and co-workers will get wax as well!

I'm curious too, how long do you think it would still be good to sell? I've had some tarts for a couple of years (not mine, ones from store) and they still smell fine. I don't think I would want to sell them if I've had them over a year though.

Thanks again!

I'm curious too, how long do you think it would still be good to sell? I've had some tarts for a couple of years (not mine, ones from store) and they still smell fine. I don't think I would want to sell them if I've had them over a year though.

Thanks again!

Just going to say that ideas are fine and all, but you should know your product inside and out and if you don't know how long yours last with strength, well that isn't really knowing is it? I'm not trying to be mean, but start holding sample-ish sizes back and store them how you would your stock and just see what happens. Like if they last for three years, well in the future you have something to add to your spin.

Going to imagine though that storing would have something to do with longevity too.

Just going to say that ideas are fine and all, but you should know your product inside and out and if you don't know how long yours last with strength, well that isn't really knowing is it? I'm not trying to be mean, but start holding sample-ish sizes back and store them how you would your stock and just see what happens. Like if they last for three years, well in the future you have something to add to your spin.

Going to imagine though that storing would have something to do with longevity too.

Very good advice! Thanks!

That is great advice. I didn't think to say that. Even when I found a blend that I liked, I tried a few more different percentages with that blend and stuck them on a shelf for 6 months to see what happened. It made me change the percentage I had been using, even though it was good. I have some that I looked at yesterday that haven't sold for at least a year or more actually. They have quite a bit of frosting but boy do they smell good!

I have some candles that are years old, yet they still burn and smell great. If it is a holiday scent I have wrapped some up and just brought them back out the next year. Same with tarts. I had a bunch of clam shells that didn't sell well or were messy because they melted in the heat. Those I just remelt and make fire starters out of them. My cabin smells great during the winter.