Martha's Nut Votives

Caught the tail end of a Martha Stewart show the other day. Was amazed to see her packing nuts around a pillar and calling it a good thing. She had nuts 3/4 of the way up a 3" pillar.

"Nut votives are a Good Thing for your holiday décor; they’re easy to make and look beautiful in any part of your home.

Place a pillar candle in the center of a clear glass cylinder. Surround the candle with whole nuts, such as hazelnuts, chestnuts, and pecans, in their shells to serve as an anchor (wipe nuts with a damp cloth to remove dust). Use them throughout the year, replacing candles and any wax-covered nuts as needed."

Unless the pillars were seriously underwicked, I'd think this would be a safety issue. But then I haven't made but a couple of pillars.

I think just like with most decoration they show us to use on those shows, that you will have to remove the decoration either before you light the candle or when the candle gets to about an inch from the decoration. I always tell ppl to remove flammable materials before lighting, since not everyone will remember to move the flammable items...

LOL....just as long as its her chestnuts and not mine roastin on an open fire..! I hadn't watched her show for a long time, long before the jail thing and such. Anyway, right before Christmas she had Susan Lucci and her daughter on making a project. She says to Susan, so how is it over at the Young and the Restless...LOL. Susan said well I don't know, but over at All my Children we are doing fine. I don't even watch soaps, but I know that she is on All my CHildren. Was funny in a strange way...okay off the subject!

These decorators don't investigate the safety of their suggestions. I was watching one show where they overlaped pine branches down the middle of the table, then placed votives in holders inbetween the branches and lit them. Alot of them were tucked in with braches all around, including sticking over the top. Then I saw another show where the "decorator" turned wine glasses upside down and placed votives ontop, without a holder, and lit them up. Ya'll know whats gonna happen if someone does this. :shocked2:

Enjoyed all the reading @ MS. lol I don't take many tips from her if I happen to see any.

on the serious side I saw in a magazine where they took what I thought to be a container candle & placed it in a larger container and put popped corn between the 2 containers. Supposed to make the scent of popcorn. I wouldn't use a floral FO though! LMAO