need help with color in 6006 wax

I am trying to get a bright red using 2lbs of 6006 wax. I'm using liquid dyes. Anyone willing to share how much dye of what colors to get this red? Customer wants that color, pleas HELP!!

The brightest red I have ever achieved with 6006 is with the Redi Glo chips, Cinnamon Red. I checked my color box and I used 1 chip for every 250 grams of 6006 wax and came out with a bright red, like the candy apple kind of red.

I have tried some reds with the liquid dye and needed so much dye that I clogged every single wick. I have mixed some really nice rich reds, and some burnt reds etc, but they all have clogged up the wick.

It won't be a deep, bloody red, but you can do a true red with the redi glo chips. Both Peaks and Candlescience carry that color, but when you see it on their websites, it looks more like a deeper red than the bright red that I get in 6006. Candlescience states that they use the chips in 4794 paraffin votive blend for the photos. So soy definitely changes the color.

Good Luck, red is a tough one in parasoy.

It was hard for me to get a rich, deep red "Christmas" color in both IGI-6006 and IGI-4630 until I starting adding a little bit of black to the batch. I'll also use a bit of black to intensify green and blue when I want them to move beyond the pastel level. Try some experimenting on your own. I suspect you'll be surprised.

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

Guest OldGlory

I have added brown, orange, and purple to reds for richer color, depending on the FO I'm pouring. I add a bit of brown for apple reds, purple for cranberry reds, orange for spicy reds.

To dilute color, I use a separate bottle with a dropper top, add the color, then add soy bean oil until I have the concentration I want. (maybe 1 drop orange, 1 drop red, 1 drop brown to 6 drops of soy bean oil) You can make the color blends you want and keep them on hand using this method. Just be sure you write down the ratio so you can replicate it.

I have added brown, orange, and purple to reds for richer color, depending on the FO I'm pouring. I add a bit of brown for apple reds, purple for cranberry reds, orange for spicy reds.

To dilute color, I use a separate bottle with a dropper top, add the color, then add soy bean oil until I have the concentration I want. (maybe 1 drop orange, 1 drop red, 1 drop brown to 6 drops of soy bean oil) You can make the color blends you want and keep them on hand using this method. Just be sure you write down the ratio so you can replicate it.

Very true!

A bunch of years ago, I tried creating my own colorants by using just three the primary colors. Magenta, Cyan and Yellow. I bought a color wheel and went to town like some sort of mad chemist.

As I got older I lost interest in the process and began to buy my colorants pre-made. I use liquid for the most common colors and dye chips and blocks for the more "exotic". I wish I was better at keeping notes when I go into production mode, but the process of looking up color recipes slowed me down too much.

Now I stick a label on my one pound PET bottles that I work with during production. It includes the source of that FO and the color "recipe". I really hated to have inconsistency in the colors of my candles when they were on display. At the height of our busy season my wife and I may pour as many as 2 dozen different fragrances of container candles in one night. We work with small batches except for very best sellers. It can get so involved that we don't even speak to each other for fear of screwing things up.

Since my recent move into the worrisome world (for me anyway) of scented bath & beauty products I have added quite a bit more data to the labels I use for fragrances in that category.

JMO/HTH

Dave