Is soy wax better?

I hope you guys get to see this before YouTube possibly flags it. QVC had Valerie on selling her Xmas stuff(which I love!) but she sells soy wax candles as do I. She makes a statement telling the viewers all the pros of buying and burning soy wax candles. I took the video with my iPhone and wanted to see what you guys think. I actually know what most will say but again we have a public figure speading the myth of why soy is better.

This is what I get asked all the time at my shows and I really have a difficult time giving good reasons that are truthful. Anyway here's the video I took.

Edited by jackbenimble
Bad sound

And so it continues. Thanks for the link and video!

I'd love to see the info about 100% beeswax candles as well. I have read a LOT lately that burning beeswax candles will actually pull the toxins from the air and it will actually change the ions in the air to "purify". All from burning a candle.

There is no perfect answer, but it's such a shame that people find the need to slam other things to try to make their products look superior. It's been going on since the beginning of time I guess.

I don't mind too much when a customer starts talking about how natural soy wax is. After all, I take it as an opportunity to educate them. But when another candlemaker starts spewing misinformation and myths about it that really annoys the piss out of me. I can even understand or at least be tolerant when a newbie candlemaker spews this trash. But any good candlemaker should know better. I expect you want to know all about your waxes, how they are made, etc. There just is no excuse for an experienced candlemaker to throw around this garbage.

Edited by Candybee

I don't think she is actually making any of the things she sells- Especially her candles but I agree she should not be selling lies. I posted awhile back about what I could say to customers at shows when they asked me "what makes a soy candle better". I received many great responses and did try and use them on my later shows last season. I don't know if they worked because I felt like I turned some people off because it wasn't what they thought I was going to say. I've got to come up with a good selling point but still be truthful about my product. Hmm...

She IS full of it. I truly don't think people care much anymore...Look at how well paraffin candles such as Yankee, Candles by Victoria, Crossroads Candles, Tyler, etc, sell. Lots of candle makers have actually found out that the blending of both paraffin and soy waxes make wonderful candles, tarts, scoopables etc. At this point I think most people have moved beyond the war between the waxes and just want a great smelling candle and that's about it....but I must say I do LOVE my paraffin!! :)