Looking for baby product recipes

Tammie

I have my best friend that is going to have a baby mid February and I am looking for some great recipes for some baby butt balm being that her first child had alot of problems with diaper rash and breaking out to the point of almost bleeding. I thought if I could find something she could use from the get go it could help. I have used on mine something called Triple paste that was pretty thick and it helped because it didn't have much water in it like desitin and some of the other products out there. Thank You!

I mine as well have asked the same question. I have a cousin who is expecting and already made a calendula soap with baby powder fragrance.

I wanted to make some other things.

I have posted about making soap with hemp oil, and was thinking that the diaper rash ointment would be good to use hemp oil in. I wonder if I could substitute the avocado oil with hemp oil, and use olive oil as the calendula infused oil. Hemp oil is so wonderful for skin.

How much Vitamin E is supposed to be used in this recipe would anyone say?

Diaper Rash Ointment that was posted

2 oz calendula infused oil

1 oz beeswax

1 oz shea butter

1 oz avocado oil

Vit E

Vit E is supposed to be used at a .1 to .25%, so I would use between .005 (which is approximately .03 teaspoon, which is 1/32 of a teaspoon) to .0125 oz (.0175 teaspoon, or just over 1/16 of a teaspoon).

Essential Wholesale has a great diaper ointment base, one with and one without zinc, and I'm working on using some of those ingredients to make up some of my own, that might be a good starting point if you're interested in a good diaper ointment. I know Purple Lilac made some really amazing stuff not too long ago, she is a wealth of information!

I'm really proud of myself. :yay:

I did some searching around.......and found a few useful bits of information.............on making some home made baby products, since I was asking earlier also about some recipes, I got serious and wanted to find some for myself.........

HOME MADE DIAPER RASH CREAM

Most diaper rash creams on the market today are formulated on the basis of bee's wax, and many do-it-yourself recipes contain the same ingredient. Vegan parents may use jojoba oil instead. This oil is perfect for baby skin due to its great nutritional properties. Its structure is very close to human sebum so it is easily absorbed. Jojoba oil allows the skin to breathe, unlike other oils. It nourishes the skin and moisturizes it at the same time. To further enhance these beneficial properties add 5 drops of tea tree or lavender essential oil (both act as anti-bacterial agents) for every 2 ounces of oil. Wheatgerm oil with its naturally high Vitamin E content complements this jojoba oil mixture. Adding a few drops will also help preserve this product. Pure Vitamin E Oil is a good alternative if you cannot find wheatgerm oil.

HOME MADE BABY WIPES

To make your own wipes, mix one fourth cup of almond or olive oil with two cups of distilled water and one fourth cup of baby shampoo (choose a natural brand). To this, add 8 drops of lavender essential oil and 5 drops of tea tree oil (optional). Now, prepare a roll of paper towels to become baby wipes. First, cut it in half. You now have two short rolls. Remove the cardboard center. Place a short roll in an airtight, waterproof container (you can use an old baby wipe box or a tupperware container) and pour the solution over the towels. Put the lid back on the box and turn it upside down so the solution is absorbed. Alternatively, if you use cloth or flannel wipes, keep the solution in a jar or spray bottle and apply as needed.

HOME MADE BABY OIL

You can make your own natural baby oil using pure almond oil, which is hypoallergenic and has a slightly warming effect on the body, aiding relaxation. If your baby is allergic to seed and nut oils, you can use olive oil as a base instead. For babies older than 6 months, you may wish to experiment by adding a few drops of essential oil to the base oil. Excellent choices for babies include lavender (to achieve a relaxing, sedative effect), geranium (to ease nervous tension and to counteract negative moods), myrrh (to ease coughs, colds, and bronchitis - also beneficial for digestive problems such as colic in infants), and ylang ylang (use sparingly for a highly relaxing and uplifting effect).

I've recently heard that the higher rate of peanut/nut allergies in children might be because of peanut oil used in some babycare products. Not sure if this applies to all nut oils, but thought it might be important to research further if you're making skin care products for infants. :smiley2: