Glue Dots

I found glue gun messy too (also a nuisance having to wait for it to heat up). Now I use those little round stickers, which I bought from Cierra Candles (in Reno). Have not had any problems although if the room/jar is very cold, I have had to warm up the jar first or the sticker doesn't stick very well.

I like Wick Stickums too... Absolutely NO REASON to use anything else IMHO because they are so easy to use....effective...and inexpensive. I have tried them from several suppliers, and they ( like everything else) are different from supplier to supplier. My favorites are the ones at AAA Candle Supply because they have a little Tab to add to the ease of removing the backing. Such little things make me happy:yay:

I tried glue dots once (ordered them by mistake) and they always came loose in the container after pouring hot wax.

I buy the stick 'ems from The Candlemakers Store, found their prices to be really good compared to most ...

Glue dots are great, provided you locate them properly the first time. Once stuck in place, they're hard to move. I use a wick sticker, to position them. My jars have a series of faint circular rings in the bottom, which help locate the wicks in the center of the jar.

Do the sticking, and use whatever method you prefer to tension the wick while the jar is cold. Once heated, the dots can come loose if you are wrapping the wick around a skewer.

Also if the wick comes loose after the wax is poured (a very rare occurrance), they will not stick, so you'll have to position the wick manually.

I have tried glue dots -- waste of time

I have tried Wick-stickems - love them -- but found I can save boookooo $$$ by using clear silacone - wally world brand -- is about $1.97 will wick over 600 jars --- cant beat that --best to let set 2-3 hours ---- or have a wicking party the night before ..... I usually let it set for 30 minutes --- and it has been fine !!

I have tried Wick-stickems - love them -- but found I can save boookooo $$$ by using clear silacone - wally world brand -- is about $1.97 will wick over 600 jars --- cant beat that --best to let set 2-3 hours ---- or have a wicking party the night before ..... I usually let it set for 30 minutes --- and it has been fine !!

Glue Dots SUCK. Do not waste your money, time, or frustration.

Wick Stick Ems- Never used, just assumed they were like the dots.

Silicone, Cheap and effective, and not as messy as hot glue (since it is not liquified)

I also love the silicone, but I don't use it often since I don't always know ahead of time when I will be able to pour. The silicone needs time to set up and wick-stickums can be used right away. When I have large orders or have planned my day well, I will use the silicone. Those wicks definitely don't move with that stuff. Cheap and cheerful too.

I am new to all this, so I have some questions. I have tried the glue dots and have had them float to the top after the pour :undecided I have no clue what the silicone is you are talking about...but I was told you have to heat the jars before a pour, so do you wick them, wait awhile, heat the jars then pour? I have been heating the jars in the oven.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :grin2:

I use the GE Silicone II and i have never had any problems with my wick not sticking,,have become pretty good at hitting the center mark :D

• 2 weeks later...
I use the GE Silicone II and i have never had any problems with my wick not sticking,,have become pretty good at hitting the center mark :D

OK - I went to the hardware store and asked for GE Silicone. They had GE Household Silicone. Is that the same thing? Also, if I use silicone, is it easier to remove the tab after the candle has burned out? Thanks so much for all your help.....you are a great find for a new candle maker!! TIA

I never used the glue dots, but used the wick stickems. I found that they sometimes came loose when pouring the hot wax. Not all the time, but probably 1 per dozen and that was more of a nuisance than I wanted.

I switched over to the clear silicone and haven't had one come loose. I was going to try the GE Silicone II but didn't want to use the caulk gun so I am using the household silicone. I think they are really the same thing. It is much easier to handle and I don't have to order it (I think that's the best part).

OK - I went to the hardware store and asked for GE Silicone. They had GE Household Silicone. Is that the same thing? Also, if I use silicone, is it easier to remove the tab after the candle has burned out? Thanks so much for all your help.....you are a great find for a new candle maker!! TIA

Wal-Mart carries the GE silicone II. I have used the household silicone but did not like it as much,,I wick a lot of jars and yes after you burn your candle you can take a steak knife and pop it out,,,takes a little push but it will come loose,,HTH

Wal-Mart carries the GE silicone II. I have used the household silicone but did not like it as much,,I wick a lot of jars and yes after you burn your candle you can take a steak knife and pop it out,,,takes a little push but it will come loose,,HTH

Thanks for the advice. One more question (at least for now...:rolleyes2 ) Can the silicone be used when the jars are heated and you are ready to pour or do you wick them first and let it set, then heat the jars and pour?