First order from Essential Depot

Candybee

I just ordered for the first time from Essential Depot. Their lye prices are amazing and I got some freebies with my order; 1 lb cocoa butter and an additional 5oz lye plus another 3 dollars off my order. I was not expecting those.

I just looked at the tracking # and it arrives today! Unfortunately I am at work and worried that they may need a signature for the lye.

I also found out that ED packs the CO and other oils in plastic jugs with small openings. If it were summer than the oils would be melted but they may be hard now. How do I get a 5lb jub of hard oil to melt?!! Guess I will have to put it in a sink filled with hot water. Wonder how long that takes!! Anyone else have this problem and what do you do to get the oil out of the jug if its hard??

I just ordered lye from Essential Depot via Amazon. Got 10 lbs for $28 including shipping. Best price I could find - and I like the 2 lbs packaging.

I have gallon jugs of coconut oil, too. I melt it in hot water bath in my sink and pour into snap lid container. With really hot water, I can get it melted in about an hour or so. I have also left it in warm/hot water overnight and in the morning it is ready to go. Stays liquefied (is that a word? :)) for a many hours after melting.

Thanks ktaggard. Melting it in hot water and swapping the jug for a pail is a great idea. I saved my coconut oil pails so I can switch out both/ BTW-- everything arrived intact even thou it was raining outside my package was wrapped and didn't get wet!

• 2 weeks later...

That company is great! I especially love using the thick plastic bottles and the lye is in bead form. If you should have a problem with static electricity wipe the lye bottle (and top) with a drier sheet before opening and pouring. I attended the Ohio Soapmakers conference in April 2012. They traveled all the way from Florida to attend the one day event. It was great talking to them. I was able to get a free walking stick. Been using it ever since when taking my Katie Dog for her walks. Top notch service all the way!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I just ordered lye from Essential Depot via Amazon. Got 10 lbs for $28 including shipping. Best price I could find - and I like the 2 lbs packaging.

I have gallon jugs of coconut oil, too. I melt it in hot water bath in my sink and pour into snap lid container. With really hot water, I can get it melted in about an hour or so. I have also left it in warm/hot water overnight and in the morning it is ready to go. Stays liquefied (is that a word? :)) for a many hours after melting.

Just a thought. If any of you live in an area where you can find a chemical house you can usually get lye for much less. I pay $42 for 50 lb bags.

Just a thought. If any of you live in an area where you can find a chemical house you can usually get lye for much less. I pay $42 for 50 lb bags.

I wouldn't even know how to go about finding a chemical house in my area. What do you mean by chemical house? Is it a store?

No, it is a company that supplies chemicals. I just started looking up chemical suppliers in my area. I had to prove I am a soapmaker and pickup is strict. Id, Car License etc, but well worth the cost. I get mine from Gallade in Santa Ana, Ca

I've gotten it locally, too. The company was listed in the phone book under Chemicals - Scientific and Technical. :rolleyes2 That was a long time ago! Back when I used phone books! Mine was a little more $77 for 50#.

I can also get lye at my local grocery store for $2.70 (including tax).