Any c3 users?

Hi,

Wondered if there was any c3 users out there?

I have managed to get some c3 wax , I am in the UK and so far we have only been able to get the ecosoya waxes but there is a new supplier of c3 here.

I want to wick a 3 inch jar and wondered if anyone could give me a rough idea on what wicks and size to start testing with?

I did do a search but lots of the info is quite old. Any help is really appreciated :)

Joanne, if you're interested in the C-3, may I suggest you contact Stella via PM (check at the top of the forum page and click on the forum members). She worked a lot with the C-3, perhaps exclusively so, and I'm sure you'll get lots of info and tips. Good luck!

Joanne, if you're interested in the C-3, may I suggest you contact Stella via PM (check at the top of the forum page and click on the forum members). She worked a lot with the C-3, perhaps exclusively so, and I'm sure you'll get lots of info and tips. Good luck!

Thanks for reply Ravens, will have a look and see if I can contact her :)

I've used C3 for several years now and love it. Here are some suggestions for wicking...you may need to go up or down one size depending on jar shape, fo, and amount of fo used....

CDN14

ECO 12

LX24

Premier 790

HTP 126

I prefer CDNs and Premiers with C3...hth!

I've used C3 for several years now and love it. Here are some suggestions for wicking...you may need to go up or down one size depending on jar shape, fo, and amount of fo used....

CDN14

ECO 12

LX24

Premier 790

HTP 126

I prefer CDNs and Premiers with C3...hth!

Hi, thanks for your help. I have cd,cdns, eco and lx. I can not get premier wicks in the uk.

The jar is roughly 3 inch wide, it is a squat jar and is roughly 3 inches tall. I will try a cdn 14 to start with, thanks

Thanks for help. So far I have tried a cdn14 and it seemed small, the jar is a squat jar (probably about 2 inches of wax) so am I right in thinking that I need to get a full melt pool first burn as the jar is squat? The next step was going to be a cd16?

Thanks for help. So far I have tried a cdn14 and it seemed small, the jar is a squat jar (probably about 2 inches of wax) so am I right in thinking that I need to get a full melt pool first burn as the jar is squat? The next step was going to be a cd16?

Some think that full melt pool should be reached on 2nd or 3rd burn....let it burn till the end, it may surprise you and catch up halfway through. How is the ht? If the flame is too small and ht is poor then try going up a size.

Some think that full melt pool should be reached on 2nd or 3rd burn....let it burn till the end, it may surprise you and catch up halfway through. How is the ht? If the flame is too small and ht is poor then try going up a size.

Hot throw is just ok, not amazing, I was hoping for a stronger hot throw as cold throw is amazing. I only used 6% fragrance, I also tried the cdn16 but flame was still very small.

I know many here use 6% fo but for me, with C3, I use 8.5% and Im happy with the ht. If the CDN16 is too small maybe try the ECO14. HTH

Hi,

Thanks for advice. Do you have to use any additives for the c3 to use that amount of fragrance? I have read about usa but we can not get that here.

I did try an eco14 today and the flame was alot better and bigger than the cdn16 but the wick mushroomed quite alot, this was with mw sweet indian corn at 6%.

USA helps with the tops and texture of wax...I do not use any additives and Ive used up to 9% fo without any problems. CDNs tend to mushroom less with this wax...if you can purchase 76* Coconut Oil there, try adding 1tsp per 12oz wax or pp while melting C3. Coconut Oil seemed to help the C3 burn easier and may help the CDNs to work better for you.

USA helps with the tops and texture of wax...I do not use any additives and Ive used up to 9% fo without any problems. CDNs tend to mushroom less with this wax...if you can purchase 76* Coconut Oil there, try adding 1tsp per 12oz wax or pp while melting C3. Coconut Oil seemed to help the C3 burn easier and may help the CDNs to work better for you.

Thanks for your help. I do have coconut oil but have no idea if it is 76*, I have tried looking online and can't find anywhere in uk that sells coconut oil 76*, I have found coconut wax but don't think that's the same thing.

I've been using C3 for almost 10 years now. I add Universal Soy Additive and 1 oz pp (or less) of fo and that's it, I've tried just about everything and went back to this. I use a 3 1/8" diam round or square glass container right about same across and I personally like the Cotton wicks..C60 works in most but the vanilla needs a 62 and a few other really heavy scents. A lot will depend on your ambient temp and weather in your area, most soy seems to react differently when its cold vs hot or dry vs humid.

You just have to test and see what you like, we are all different creatures and like different things. I was given what I considered a really ugly soy candle because the top was just lumpy & pitted looking...but lo and behold that sucker burned like a charm

and threw like crazy with no soot till it got till the bottom and I would have never purchased it just because of the look of it (but the look didn't bother the person who gave it to me).

Thanks for replies.

Wow, so different climates can affect wicks as well? I have been doing lots of reading on c3 and lots of people say the cdn14 for my diameter jar, I have tried a cdn14 and it seems far too small, it is still quite cold in the uk at the moment so could could cold weather affect wick sizes?

I'm not fussed at the moment about how my candles look, I just want to achieve a safe burning candle with great scent throw :)

Thanks to mulberrysoap who kindly informed me that the coconut oil I have is 76 degree, candle is now made with the coconut oil added.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

You won't find a supplier in the uk for cd or cdn wicks, I have to order mine from the US .

I am just back with testing the c3. What jars and sizes are you trying to wick?

Hi Joannec. Apologies for the delayed response. I must've missed the notification that my message had been responded to.

I ended up ordering CD, Premier and HTP wicks from the US and I'm going to make up test batches this weekend.

I'm using glass jars which have a diameter of 3 inches and 3 inches in height. Do you have any recommendations on the best wick and size to use? My cold throw is usually great... Just want to achieve the same outcome with my hot throw.

• Like 1

Hi,

Well Im still testing between the excel and c3. C3 has better ct than excel but excel seems easier to wick to me.

I have also got premiers on order , I have tried the htp but I didn't really like them. I prefer the cd/cdn wicks . The premier is my last wick to test and if this doesn't work I will go back to testing the cd wicks. What % fragrance are you using? I can not give you a wick rec as I have not tried the 3 inch jars. Let me know how you like the premier wicks.

• Like 1

Oh forgot to ask are your jars shouldered or straight sided? I have found that the shouldered jars seem to have better ht for me , I think that the shoulders seem to help keep in the heat and help heat the wax up therefore giving better ht but that's just my opinion :)

• Like 1

I have used excel in the past but found it to be hit and miss with throw so switched to c3 which I do love. I had an issue with bubbles but since being on this forum and learning about tempering it doesn't seem to be as bad as it was but I'm still testing for perfection :0)

My jars are straight sides... Tumbler jars basically.

Thanks for the tip about the HTP wicks I think I'll leave testing those till last and concentrate on the CD & Premier wicks.

Re fragrance oil % for c3 I usually use around 8% with no problems.

Are you using a similar %?

If you want to start with the htp I would start at the larger end of the scale for a 3 inch jar.

Have you managed to get any other jars wicked in the c3 yet? I am not having much luck with straight sided jars , I am finding that I don't get much ht until the candle has burned halfway down yet in a shouldered jar I seem to get ht pretty much straight away. I am also using 8% fragrance.