Very confused on heating temperatures...

I have been heating my soy wax up to 185 degrees before adding fragrance oil. I am friends with Aztec Candle company(they are in Knoxville TN) on my facebook, and I just read a post where they were telling someone that 185 is way to high and that the highest temp you can use with a soy wax is 155. They then said that Candlescience(where this particular person had received her instructions) gave bad instructions, and that if you heat your wax up to 185, you'll scorch your wax. I'm confused now??!! I know that there are many seasoned soy candle makers out there, so what is your take on this? I don't even want to buy from a company that gives false info, or doesn't know what they are doing. Just curious to see what others think about this? It's difficult enough to perfect soy candles, but it's even more difficult when you get conflicting info!

I use a 70/30 soy or parasoy and it heats to 200 degrees in the turkey fryer without a problem. I typically pour at 185 degrees and its no problem. But that is not a straight soy so maybe they have the right of it but seems like CS would know their way around soy kwim? I keep the wax in my pour pot on a burner at 190 degrees and again with no problem. If heating your wax to 185 has produced poor results, then turn down the temp. Lots of opinions out their but actual application trumps opinion IMHO. HTH

Steve

I also work with a parasoy, but I have been playing with straight 464. I have spent 3 years reading almost daily about candles, doing searches, reading, taking notes, and then putting everything aside to actually make candles.

I don't know Aztec, and I haven't really read anything on their site about pour temps etc. I do know that many soy people pour at a wide range of temps and have a variety of cooling techniques. It really comes down to your indoor temps and what works for you, where you work and live.

However, I do know that in my pouring the only times that I had fragrance oil seep out of the candles, or sink to the bottom, is when I was a little sloppy with taking my initial temperatures and I added the fragrance at the wrong temp. I have always read to heat the wax to a higher temperature, then add fragrance in the 180-185* range and then stir and cool to the pouring temperature.

What works for one person may not for the next. Since we all live in places with different temperatures, different altitudes and different humidity levels it may take tweeking to the process. In my opinion I don't think my heavy vanilla fragrances would EVER mix into any wax at 150*.

With 415 I heat to 185 and never had a problem.

I see more of a problem not getting wax hot enough to incorporate the FO properly.

Also, I would trust CS directions.

Ditto this :cool2: especially if those 2 suppliers were the choices...:wink2:

I went to the Facebook page to read the comments myself before posting.

I would follow the manufacturer's instructions and listen to the advice of the VERY wise makers here.

I am not a fan of suppliers who provide misinformation nor share publicly that another supplier's information is bad. There are better ways to have said what was trying to be said.

Guest OldGlory

Is this an employee of the company giving this information or a customer of theirs? I'm not on Facebook so I can see it for myself.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments! I too feel like CS is a trustworthy company, with correct instructions. I don't know that I will be supporting the Aztec company any longer. I felt their info is incorrect, and they handled their response unprofessionally. I have been heating my Soy wax up to 185 for the last several months, with great results! Thanks for your responses, and wise words! I love this forum :-)

No desire to stray off the subject, but I remember reading a post on the board that a member was sometimes upset because Aztec would "substitute" another FO of their choice if they were out of stock on one that they ordered. That would have been enough for me, if that's true. I'm not sure if it is factual, though, and it may have just been a sample(s) that was out of stock. The comment did get my attention, however. I've never ordered from Aztec, and after reading this thread abd the other posting, I doubt that I will. I have high regards for Candlescience, though.

JMO

I heat my 464 to 185 and add FO/Dye and my candles turn out great. Not sure where Aztec got their information from, but uhm yeah I would go by the manufacturer instructions which for 464 state... to heat to 185 :)

Wow, I just now read the FB post that OP was referring to...... sounds familiar, lol. I remember when I suggested they change their instructions to match what IGI says....... & he promptly & not so nicely told me where I could go & what I could do. At least that got my supplier list shorter :)

Wow, I just now read the FB post that OP was referring to...... sounds familiar, lol. I remember when I suggested they change their instructions to match what IGI says....... & he promptly & not so nicely told me where I could go & what I could do. At least that got my supplier list shorter :)

Guess I don't need that Iced Lemon Cookie in my line after all.

• 2 weeks later...