Layer-mania!

Brenda

Yay! Here's two pics of my first layered CP soap. It's scented with grapefruit citrus FO from the Chemistry Store (nice crisp scent - happy surprise!) and colored in the outer layers with Carotino fruit palm oil. I feel like a proud parent - which is a little disturbing! :D

grapefruit_crush.jpg

grapefruit_crush_curing.jpg

Other than being a little fussy making three separate batches of the same base recipe, it went like a charm. Poured each batch right after they were made - about an hour apart. Then popped the mold in the warmed oven for a while until it gelled. I am happy with the results. Grapefruit Crush is what I'm going to call it.

I wonder about making a Neopolitan style soap...hmmm.

Thanks for looking!

Brenda

Thank you so much for your comments, ladies! It makes me feel great! :yay:

Yes, FFF, it is cold process soap. The layering process is sort of like layering a fancy jello salad my mother used to make, though it takes less time. What I did was make three seperate batches of the same recipe of soap. When I finished the first translucent batch I poured it at early trace - when it just coated my electric stirrer and was the consistency of thin instant pudding. It was thin enough to spread evenly on the bottom of my 32 bar mold. I kind of jiggled the mold to encourage it to spread into the corners. Then I just let the mold sit on the tabletop while I made the next batch. By the time I was ready to pour, the first layer had set up enough to pour directly on top. I kept a spatula in the middle of the pour stream to deflect it a bit, then pushed it into the corners, and gave another good jiggle. Then on to the third batch with the same process.

I was a bit nervous about leaving it all sit out, but once it was all assembled, I slapped a thick cutting board I have on top of the mold (just lucky it fits perfectly) and popped it in the oven at 170 for 20 minutes. Then I turned it off, peeked once in a while to see if it was gelling yet. When it was at full gell, I took it out, threw a couple of towels over the whole thing and waited until morning to cut the bars as I needed the oven for a different batch.

Try it! It's not difficult! The worst part was making sure I had sized the batches so it would all be even layers and would all fit the mold. I just took a recipe that I knew fit, looked at the amount of oils and divided by three. Then I was able to size the layers correctly and scent and color as I wanted.

That's more information than You probably wanted to know...:rolleyes2

Carrie - It's brand new - would it be okay to send? If I labeled do not use until....

I had another bar all picked out, but wouldn't mind sending out two kinds. This is the bar I was going to send:

Ginger_Twist.jpg

It's named Ginger Twist.

I could send both and make up for the postage? How about that?

Brenda

Thanks for the information on how to make that soap.

It'd love to make it but I only have small wood loaf type molds.

It only holds 32 oz batches.

What do you suggest I make it in?

What is the middle layer of soap made with?

This soap is just gorgeous!!!

Same recipe! But I did add a teaspoon of powdered titanium dioxide and a couple teaspoons of dried orange and lemon peel and it's scented with lemon essential oil which I know will quickly fade, sadly. Plus I left out the ounce or so of palm fruit oil that gives the yellow layers their color.

I've lined cardboard boxes, shoe boxes, etc. before with freezer paper and made large batches that way (before I broke down and spent money!) If you can find one that you can compare to your existing mold, you can do a rough estimate of what it would take to fill it up with three layers to one bar's thickness. Each layer of this soap had 45 ounces of oils - not counting water at all - just oils. These are nice fat bars.

Here's the basic soap recipe if you want it for reference:

Olive oil - 18 oz.

Coconut oil - 13 oz.

Palm oil - 8 oz.

Castor oil - 3 oz.

Sesame oil - 3 oz.

distilled water - 15.83 oz (no water discount)

lye 6.39 oz. - (6% discount)

palm fruit oil - 1.5 oz. for color added to the base oils anytime (I use Carotino oil from our grocery store) If you want the bars translucent, don't add oxide, they will be a nice lemony yellow - too much palm fruit oil and they will go orange. I use this as an additive that's not figured into the base oils. Although if I were to use more I'd sure want to include it in the formulation.

Then you just scent as desired!

I'll be trying this recipe again with different scents and natural colors if I can.

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback everyone!

Edited to add this P.S. The bars when first cut have an oily feel because of the Carotino oil that I used to color. As they cure this feel dissapears leaving the bar nice and firm, very bubbly, and a good bar to use. I would imagine that this would not be a problem when using an oxide or if I didn't already have a lye discount in the recipe.