Soy scent throw

Bel Ode

Hi,

My scent throw is great when cold but fades quickly when melting. I'm making clamshells by the pound with a combination of 1/4 bliss by NG and 3/4 464. I melt to 175, add fragrance a t 160, and pour at 140. I also add 1 tb. of vybar. I'm using 2 oz. of FO. Any suggestions to help with the scent throw when hot?

Edited by Bel Ode

Just a couple of questions.

1. How long are you letting the product cure after you pour? I find that the wax I use, also Golden Wax, tends to have the best hot throw after I've let it cure for 5-7 days.

2. Who is the maker of the fragrance oil you use? Not all oils work well with soy. Anything I've gotten from Peak throws well. CandleScience has a graphic scale that indicates how well a given oil works with soy.

I am not familiar with bliss.... Is that a wax I assume

Your using a total of 1 pound of wax and adding 2 ounces of FO and vybar?

If bliss is a wax and its soy you shouldn't need vybar at all ( that's more for paraffin) and the FO load is pretty high- maybe try it again with no vybar and 1- 1.5 ounces FO per pound and cure them for at least 3 days and see if that makes a difference

Edited by moonshine

Guest OldGlory

My soy 464 tarts are plenty strong at 1 oz pp. I would have to charge so much more if I added 2 oz pp - I just can't imagine needing to do that.

I don't have any experience with vybar but I would say that you are adding your fragrance at too low of a temp. It is my experience with soy that it is best to add fragrance at about 188 degrees so it can really bond with the wax. I would also say that 2oz is too much! Best of luck to you! HTH!

I don't have any experience with vybar but I would say that you are adding your fragrance at too low of a temp. It is my experience with soy that it is best to add fragrance at about 188 degrees so it can really bond with the wax. I would also say that 2oz is too much! Best of luck to you! HTH!

I disagree, "Mish Moneypenny" !!!

Fragrance should be added at 188.5 degrees!

(lol) GF!

Glad to see you in here and sharing! Post away and lose that "New Member" handle.

Luv ya! (It's not so lonely knowing you're in here, too!)

I'm working on your "box". DW is out of town until Sunday PM. I need her to mail it for me.

Your decrepidly old pal;

"Dumb Dave"

Lol!!!! Dave you ole sweetie you are too funny!!! Okay 188.5!! Yes I do that too! Lol! Luv ya too! Cool!! I am really looking forward to my goodies and you just never know when one might show up on your doorstep too! Lol! ((((HUGS))))) my dear friend!!

Mish Monehpeneh!

Moneypenny can I ask what type of soy you are using to be adding FO at such a high temp? I am just curious because most all I have read on soy is to not heat more than 180-185 and I have been working with soy for 5 years and always heat to 180 and add FO at 175....just wondering if trying higher would produce better results but on accident when I heat higher the wax starts to smoke and discolor- I may try this on some that haven't given me expected HT

Edited by moonshine

I would think that one only needs to use as much heat a necessary to allow the FO and wax to mix. Heavier FO formulas my require more heat and mixing. Don't think that there is any magic on using more heat, you are just losing FO into the air.

MS we use the same ingredients I think. I heat to 185, sometimes it does get to 190. I weigh, add FO & dye as quick as I can, no issues & finally have great HT out of MWs Bergamot Tobacco.

Moneypenny can I ask what type of soy you are using to be adding FO at such a high temp? I am just curious because most all I have read on soy is to not heat more than 180-185 and I have been working with soy for 5 years and always heat to 180 and add FO at 175....just wondering if trying higher would produce better results but on accident when I heat higher the wax starts to smoke and discolor- I may try this on some that haven't given me expected HT

You actually got throw out of that FO? Omg I will have to try adding hotter than - the majority of my scents throw strong doing it the way I have been but I am going to test this - I have tons of that scent and don't use it because its to weak - even in melts!

Thanks Chandler

Hi Bel,

I am a new member too but I have been on these boards many times just reading and learning. This board is great! My tarts are very strong and will fill several rooms very nicely :)

I am more than happy to share with you my formula.

I use 100% Pillar of Bliss wax from Nature's Garden

Heat wax to 195*

Add dye

Add fragrance oil at 185*

Stir for 3 minutes and then pour

My tarts smell very good BUT I have found that when I use oils from Peak that my tarts will last for almost 3 whole days. If I use oils from Natures Garden, the scent usually only lasts between 8-24 hours depending on the fragrance.

Peak's oil are more expensive than Nature's garden but the quality is well worth it to have repeat customers. I want to switch 100% to Peak Oils but they do not have all the fragrances t hat Nature's Garden does, so I go back and forth between the two suppliers.

Good luck and let me know how this works for you :)

Hi Moonshine! I had thought that I replied to this already but I don't see it. I use ez soy and I heat to 195 and then add fragrance at between 187 to 188.5 and it always works very well for me! The fo really bonds with the wax and produces a wonderful throw. Try it! I think you will be pleased! Best of luck!

Hi Moonshine! I had thought that I replied to this already but I don't see it. I use ez soy and I heat to 195 and then add fragrance at between 187 to 188.5 and it always works very well for me! The fo really bonds with the wax and produces a wonderful throw. Try it! I think you will be pleased! Best of luck!

OH NO! I hope I have not perpetrated a new myth! { 188.5 }

I'm strictly a "Para-Boy".

I was only busting on my buddy, "Mish Moneypennee" !

*drunken posting*

Jim's Cousin, Dave

I add my fragrance to my EcoSoya PB at 185. I use 9% FO and have great results with my tarts. I use the jumbo 5.5oz clamshells. I pour at 150 otherwise when pouring it sticks to the pot a lot towards the end of the pour. I do not use any additives in my wax.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify... You're saying 2oz/pp is too much for soy wax tarts? On CS they recommend 6% with the PB. NGI recommends 12% for PB. That is substantially different recommendations from the Manufacturer versus supplier. You all are the PROS... What would you all advise for the best hot throw?

Thank YOU so much!