NEW! Ball Heritage Collection vintage blue pint masons

Ive not made them in a while, but here is the link to the thread about crumbles I posted a while back. I'm hoping to get some made tomorrow, if I do I'll post pics. Now fingers crossed that Walmart has the jars!! We're headed out the door in just a few. I sure do wish we had an ace or Tru Value.

Forgot the link....:rolleyes2

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?106075-My-Crumbles&highlight=crumbles

If Wallyworld doesn't have the jars, just do what I did and call a few hardware stores, give them the item # for the jar, and ask them to see if their warehouse has the jars yet so they can order them for you. I posted the item # on one of the earlier pages of this thread.

I love the pretty blue color because I once read an article about crafting that said if you want your product to sell, just make it blue with an animal on it. :laugh2:

Edited by HorsescentS

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made 6 candles using the blue jars. Wet spots were pretty bad. I don't dye my candles so they are not nearly as noticeable in clear jars! I'm so bummed out:cry2:

Ditto!!! I never get wet spots and I don't color either and this jar they are everywhere and growing!!

On another note I did find the mainstays half pint at Walmart yesterday but they only had 2 cases and they are not as cute as the ones I have at home that I can't find anywhere with "mason" stamped in cursive but they are close enough for me to be content! Thank you to the poster who mentioned them!

The gallon mason jar is awesome....I so want to pour a candle in this but if I can't get a hot enough wick to burn it ...thats alot of wax to try and get out! Lol

So now what to with the 6 cases of blue jars I bought? I can't believe I didn't think of that:(

Maybe there's a cure for your wet spots. What kind of wax do you use? Do you heat your jars? What pouring temp? How do you cool them? What's the temp in your candle room?

If that doesn't work, check post #61 by debratant. She posted a cool pic and directions for how to turn one of these pretty blue jars into a hand pump jar for lotion or liquid soap, so you can make your own scented soap or lotion. Or you can fill it with white scented crumbles for your melter and tie a wooden scoop around the neck.

You might be able to find those solar mason jar lids and make them into pretty lamps, or find your own little LED light to glue into the bottom of an old fashioned lid: http://www.masonjarsolarlidlights.com/home/

They're kind of expensive, so maybe you can Google: wholesale solar mason lid.

Here's a tutorial for making your own solar lid, and there are more tutorials if you don't like this one: http://www.familyhomeandlife.com/2012/03/mason-jar-solar-light.html

Here's an easier tutorial for making your own solar lid: http://theprojecttable.blogspot.com/2011/12/mason-jar-solar-lights.html

Oh, cool! This shows how to do it to a glass apothecary jar: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/mason-jar-solar-light-instructions#axzz2PfogGWZ9

Or if you're really ambitious, you can make chandeliers out of them! http://www.etsy.com/listing/122796971/vintage-aqua-mason-jar-solar-chandelier?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=weddings_mid&gclid=CLSazv3WtbYCFQTznAodP0AAUw

Edited by HorsescentS

Ditto!!! I never get wet spots and I don't color either and this jar they are everywhere and growing!!

On another note I did find the mainstays half pint at Walmart yesterday but they only had 2 cases and they are not as cute as the ones I have at home that I can't find anywhere with "mason" stamped in cursive but they are close enough for me to be content! Thank you to the poster who mentioned them!

The gallon mason jar is awesome....I so want to pour a candle in this but if I can't get a hot enough wick to burn it ...thats alot of wax to try and get out! Lol

I'm glad everyone is finding the Mainstays jars! I've cleaned out all my Walmarts in the area. I will hunt again this weekend. Heehee I just love them..so dang adorable! They would be even more super cute with Mason on them...but mason in cursive?! I'd like to see those!

I've been hunting for these blue ones locally and have yet to find them. I have my antique ones but I don't dare use them for candles. Ugh..hope to find them soon!

So now what to with the 6 cases of blue jars I bought? I can't believe I didn't think of that:(

First time I poured I didn't wash the jars- to lazy and it was a test

Last night I washed the jars and I always warm them on my griddle just enough to make them warm- this time I got them really warm and poured ( I have to pour my wax at 100) right on the griddle and turned it off - I let them cure right on there and this morning so far no wet spots...fingers crossed

Maybe letting the temp of the griddle slowly go down to room temp by turning it off as the wax cooled helped- not sure but my basement is cooler especially in the damp spring so we will see if they develop over the next few days

I'm glad everyone is finding the Mainstays jars! I've cleaned out all my Walmarts in the area. I will hunt again this weekend. Heehee I just love them..so dang adorable! They would be even more super cute with Mason on them...but mason in cursive?! I'd like to see those!

I've been hunting for these blue ones locally and have yet to find them. I have my antique ones but I don't dare use them for candles. Ugh..hope to find them soon!

I am going to call Walmart today and see if ordering them is possible- I will post a pic of the cursive ones I have- they were found in Florida at a flea market with crappy candles in them- I can't believe I am having such a hard time finding these even overseas - I am working with a glass manufacturer right here in my state to see if they will reproduce them

And I thought ball was made in te US....the gallon mason with the "ball" tag says made in china and jarden says they cannot get or make the jars I have and want

As far as the blue ones go- do you have a true value near you? They will order them for you shipped to their store

If you really really really can't find anything to do with them and the wetspots bother you. Put them in the classies section! They will sell for sure!

I'm not giving mine up for anything...wetspots or not LOL.

Maybe there's a cure for your wet spots. What kind of wax do you use? Do you heat your jars? What pouring temp? How do you cool them? What's the temp in your candle room?

If that doesn't work, check post #61 by debratant. She posted a cool pic and directions for how to turn one of these pretty blue jars into a hand pump jar for lotion or liquid soap, so you can make your own scented soap or lotion. Or you can fill it with white scented crumbles for your melter and tie a wooden scoop around the neck.

You might be able to find those solar mason jar lids and make them into pretty lamps, or find your own little LED light to glue into the bottom of an old fashioned lid: http://www.masonjarsolarlidlights.com/home/

They're kind of expensive, so maybe you can Google: wholesale solar mason lid.

Here's a tutorial for making your own solar lid, and there are more tutorials if you don't like this one: http://www.familyhomeandlife.com/2012/03/mason-jar-solar-light.html

Here's an easier tutorial for making your own solar lid: http://theprojecttable.blogspot.com/2011/12/mason-jar-solar-lights.html

Oh, cool! This shows how to do it to a glass apothecary jar: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/mason-jar-solar-light-instructions#axzz2PfogGWZ9

Or if you're really ambitious, you can make chandeliers out of them! http://www.etsy.com/listing/122796971/vintage-aqua-mason-jar-solar-chandelier?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=weddings_mid&gclid=CLSazv3WtbYCFQTznAodP0AAUw

I use soy wax, I do heat my jars, I pour @ 110 degrees, I've tried cooling them under a cooler and without. My temp in my candle room is about 68 degrees. I love all your ideas..hhmmmm wonder if I'm that ambitious! I like the crumble idea but I've never made them before! I may have to go the classies route!:sad2: thank you so much Horsescents for all your help and ideas! You the bomb Baby!

I use soy wax, I do heat my jars, I pour @ 110 degrees, I've tried cooling them under a cooler and without. My temp in my candle room is about 68 degrees. I love all your ideas..hhmmmm wonder if I'm that ambitious! I like the crumble idea but I've never made them before! I may have to go the classies route!:sad2: thank you so much Horsescents for all your help and ideas! You the bomb Baby!

Awww...thanks! :) I bet a helpful soy chandler will have some good ideas for you about preventing wet spots. When you say you've tried cooling them under a "cooler," what is a cooler? Is it one of those styrofoam ice chests? Were the jars also sitting on top of something like cardboard to insulate the bottoms?

I don't use soy, but to me a 68 degree room is too cold for candle making and would cool them too fast causing a lot of shrinkage and wet spots. But, that's a nice comfy temperature for you home, so rather than heat the whole house, I would cool the candles in a small room with a space heater that's heated the room to 80 degrees, preheat the jars in the oven to 170, remove jars and wait a minute to let them cool a bit, pour, and set the jars on top of an insulating material like a couple of pieces of cardboard so the table surface won't suck heat out of the bottom of the jars. If you make a small batch, you can heat your oven to 170 and then turn it off and put the candles in there to cool slowly.

But, I'm sure the soy chandlers will have good ideas for you about wet spots too.

Edited by HorsescentS

Yep, the styrofoam coolers is what I tried and did have some cardboard under them. I will try all your suggestions. Thank you! I've never really did a lot with the whole wet spot thing since my candles are not dyed, I don't notice them much. You really can with the blue jars though. Thank you again! I very much appreciate your help!