Heat Gun question

So, I finally got around to buying a heat gun. I have only seen them in use on TV shows where they are used for embossing cards etc with rubber stamping. They always looked like they didn't have a "blow" to them, like a hair dryer, but just heat coming out.

Well, mine is like a super hot hair dryer on low. I tried to smooth out a candle top and the blowing of the air pushed the wax up the sides instead of just melting the top.

So, do they all "blow" or are there ones that just send heat without a lot of air flow?

I use the embossing type. Less air flow, but good heat. I keep one in my workshop and one at our candle shop. I have a pro-type hot gun, but don't use it. Too much airflow.

I also picked-up two "lazy susans". The ones I use had tops of white stone. They were for either cake or cheese, I believe. I bought them at seperate times from either a thrift shop or a yard sale. The tops are about a foot in diameter.

I put the candle in the middle of the lazy susan and slowly turn the "platform" as I point the embossing tool at the right or left edge of the jar lip. Once I got the knack I could smooth off a case of jelly's in under five minutes, without scorching or even melting the beeswax coating on the wick. No splatter either if your careful. The turntable meant no more superheated pinkies for me since my hand is not near the jar.

JMO/HTH

Dave

There's a learning curve when it comes to using a heat gun. You still need to hold the gun several inches away from the wax as you heat it or you get wax splatters. But there is no comparison to a hair dryer. Hair dryers don't perform the same way a heat gun does. You are better off with a heat gun.

I use the embossing type. Less air flow, but good heat. I keep one in my workshop and one at our candle shop. I have a pro-type hot gun, but don't use it. Too much airflow.

I also picked-up two "lazy susans". The ones I use had tops of white stone. They were for either cake or cheese, I believe. I bought them at seperate times from either a thrift shop or a yard sale. The tops are about a foot in diameter.

I put the candle in the middle of the lazy susan and slowly turn the "platform" as I point the embossing tool at the right or left edge of the jar lip. Once I got the knack I could smooth off a case of jelly's in under five minutes, without scorching or even melting the beeswax coating on the wick. No splatter either if your careful. The turntable meant no more superheated pinkies for me since my hand is not near the jar.

Thanks for the great visual Dave!! I have a granite turntable and my old heavy duty cast iron turntable from my former life as a Cake Designer. I've used it in the past for my pottery projects, looks like it may see some life in the candle studio as well !!

I love a good multi-tasker!! :)

I guess I just had in my head that a heat gun shouldn't blow the air, just heat the air. I'm glad that I don't have to buy another one, it wasn't cheap, even with the 40% off coupon. I'll be digging out the turntables for sure.

Thanks guys!! :cheesy2:

The lazy susan is a great idea! I am have to spin my products very fast so I don't burn myself. lol. Doesn't take long.

I'm not just lazy! I'm a big Sissy too!

Glad to contribute a tip.

Dave

We couldn't find a lazy susan locally that was cheap enough to justify using with candles, so we made one. :D Two 12 inch pieces of pressboard, the lazy susan turntable piece, and some sealant to make cleaning off the top easier. Cost me a total of about $10 to do all of it. (I'm not counting the tools, guys, I had to cut my own boards, but we already had the equipment for other projects anyway.) But using the lazy susan makes the heat gun a breeze. It also works wonders with helping heat up jars for pouring container waxes and for palm wax projects. Keep it 6 inches or so away from the surface so it doesn't splatter, and angle it where you're not blowing across the top, but more at an angle downward. Makes it less choppy. And don't forget to keep moving it! If it stays in one spot too long, you can mess up what you are working on.

Also, I have very heat sensitive hands, so use a glove when I'm working with it. Also makes jars easier to pick up and move.

I have 3 heat guns....got them at Walmart. I would be lost without them. Although I did burn my wrist on the tip once. Took the skin right off...I don't even want to know what the temp. was when it happened. I had just got done "heat gunning" (as we call it) the tops of about 10 candles all in a row. It was mighty toasty to put it lightly lol.

We couldn't find a lazy susan locally that was cheap enough to justify using with candles, so we made one. :D Two 12 inch pieces of pressboard, the lazy susan turntable piece, and some sealant to make cleaning off the top easier. Cost me a total of about $10 to do all of it. (I'm not counting the tools, guys, I had to cut my own boards, but we already had the equipment for other projects anyway.) But using the lazy susan makes the heat gun a breeze. It also works wonders with helping heat up jars for pouring container waxes and for palm wax projects. Keep it 6 inches or so away from the surface so it doesn't splatter, and angle it where you're not blowing across the top, but more at an angle downward. Makes it less choppy. And don't forget to keep moving it! If it stays in one spot too long, you can mess up what you are working on.

Also, I have very heat sensitive hands, so use a glove when I'm working with it. Also makes jars easier to pick up and move.

I couldn't have explained the procedure better. I'm glad to hear it works well for you, too!

Dave

I have 3 heat guns....got them at Walmart. I would be lost without them. Although I did burn my wrist on the tip once. Took the skin right off...I don't even want to know what the temp. was when it happened. I had just got done "heat gunning" (as we call it) the tops of about 10 candles all in a row. It was mighty toasty to put it lightly lol.
So, I finally got around to buying a heat gun. I have only seen them in use on TV shows where they are used for embossing cards etc with rubber stamping. They always looked like they didn't have a "blow" to them, like a hair dryer, but just heat coming out.

Well, mine is like a super hot hair dryer on low. I tried to smooth out a candle top and the blowing of the air pushed the wax up the sides instead of just melting the top.

So, do they all "blow" or are there ones that just send heat without a lot of air flow?

I use a "creme brulee torch" to fix my sink holes. The torch has an adjustable flame and temperature, anti-flare flame, easy to fill with butane fuel, comfort grip handle, removable stand and a safety lock. It works quite efficiently and it takes less than a minute to fix your candle. You can find them at Marshal's or TJMaxx and the like for about $20 or less. I like mine and have used it for many years. The website is bonjourproducts.com.