using regular glasses for candles

JI

I would never use wine glasses. But what about regular highball type glasses, to wick into candles? They are straight sided with a nice base. I saw some on clearance and thought they might look attractive. Do you think the glass itself would be ok? I can't see why not...anyone tried this?

All the time. I usually can clean out Kmart or Walmart in one shopping day. I try to get glasses that are made of heavy glass, with thick sides and base.

post-12619-139458508347_thumb.jpg

The cherry cobbler candle is made in an Anchor Hocking brand glass, which I bought from Crate & Barrel. The other sundae glasses I bought at a flea market for $2.00 for all 6. The outdoor scenic tumblers I also bought at the flea market for $2.00 for a set of 4. I do a lot of shopping for glasses at the flea market.

post-12619-139458508341_thumb.jpg

post-12619-139458508344_thumb.jpg

Edited by PAgirl89

Sometimes things are out of your control but always use the best glass possible. I was at Yankee Candle this weekend a saw a customer bring in a 16 oz apothecary jar which had half of the top glass broken off. I assume that YC is using good glass but looking at the remaining part I could see that it was almost totally black with soot. Not sure that customer was trimming wicks and to get than much soot the flame must have been fairly large. Just saying that some things are out of your control.

Not all glassware can withstand the heat of a candle without cracking or shattering even if the glass is thick. If your candle cracks or shatters and causes a house fire, which happens a lot according to the fire department, you could be liable and can be sued for thousands or even millions, so the only way to defend yourself is to prove that you only use glassware that's been tested and certified safe for candles.

Almost everyone I know, including myself, has bought a glass container candle that broke while burning. It's a common problem.

There's a way that candle makers can submerge glassware in alternating hot and cold water baths to test the strength of the glass; but I don't know the details of how to do that, it's part of some safety guidelines the National Candle Association worked out.

So to protect yourself and your customers, it's best to stick with glassware that's candle safe from a candle supplier, or from the Libbey and Anchor Hocking glass catalogs which tell which of their products are safe to use in candle making. You can find their catalogs online at their websites.

Yup, I've got about 6 dozen 8 oz juice glasses that I bought at Dollar Tree. They cute candles and the glass was real thick but if they got just the least bit hot they broke. Im kind of leery about anything on a pedestal because they're easier to get knocked over but most high ball or rocks glasses are usually ok for candles. Seconds are a little more worriesome, so its usually buyer beware. Very nice work on those candles.

The tumblers sold by candle supply companies are "regular" glasses. I pick up tumblers from all over. I don't do Dollar Tree glassware since it's usually seconds or defective, it's a dollar for a reason.

I disagree that the tumblers being sold by candle supplies are "regular" glasses. Even though they're sold as regular glasses, too, the tumblers that I've seen being sold by candle supply companies are the specific tumblers that the Libbey and Anchor Hocking catalogs say you can use in candle making, so they withstand heat much better than "regular" glasses. Not all of Libbey's and Anchor Hocking's tumblers are included in the business-to-business section of their catalogs which has their candle-safe glass, but the tumblers carried by the candle suppliers are.

Edited by HorsescentS