Pillar

FallenCandle

Nice.. I am concerned though. Went to your website and you are only charging $ 4.50 for a 2 x 6.5 pillar. why so cheap ??

How much should they be? I found out that it is half a pound of wax per Pillar. When I get the cost it is about 3$, then labor. How much should I be charging.

In addition to lots and lots and lots of testing and securing insurance, you will want to understand your total cost and go from there. I do not sell but have a spreadsheet that lists total cost for each melt, when made in molds or per cup when I make that way. I wanted to know my fully burdened costs even though I make for my family, friends and myself.

You will need to consider cost of FO, wax, wick, packaging, labeling per item to arrive at your total cost. Those who sell here can help you with % of margin you will want to achieve.

I took all my supplies (scale, Presto, molds, etc.) into consideration. Marketing, advertising, insurance and such are additional cost considerations.

Exactly what Karen said above. Didnt you just start making things in beginning of Feb and already selling on a website? I am not trying to pick on you, I just have seen this so many times. The pillar is gorgeous, dont get me wrong. The picture of your votives on the page- your ereally need to do another pour on those - huge sink on the top which can actually make your votives burn wrong. Rule of thumb for selling is whatever it cost to make including fo, wax, wick, packaging , labels etc is you multiply by 2 for a wholesale and retail is x 3. I know you said you are just selling to friends and family, but until you have tested everything and have it perfect, you do not want to sell at all. Friends and family will sue you quick is something goes wrong . Just worried as I am sure others are. Not trying to start trouble and again, your pillar is very good looking.. Just slow down and take your time and enjoy. What insurance do you have ? You should be insured before you even sell a tealight. Just my opinion. Please dont take it the wrong way..

I am looking into insurance and permits now, thanks for your concern. I actually started to make candles around Novemeber from a few kits people got me. I test some of my candles and my grandmother tests the rest of them. She is a die for candle lover, ha. Thank you for the comments about the pillar. I am planning to change that photo out.

Guest OldGlory

The Disadvantage Of Carrying Low Prices

Thought you might get something out of this link.

Nobody can tell you what to charge for your products. You get to make that decision.

Most of us follow this guideline, at least loosely.

cost x 2 = wholesale price

cost x 3 or 4 = retail price

You will run yourself out of your own business if you don't make some profit, and for me, $1.50 profit on a $3.00 cost won't cut it. You have lots of seasoned business men and women here. Ask us for help if you need it!

Thanks for the site and advice. I plan to fix the costs a bit after I recieved my first order (from a family member). This is not what I am doing to make money on. It is more like a hobby that I would like to pay for with the money I make from my candles. I am not looking to make money on this, but break even. Thanks for the advice! I plan to change the pricing. If I need help I will ask you guys!