New businesses stealing business names rant

Jeana

Twice this week I have run into new businesses online that have stolen part of my business name and all of the concept. One even even stole some of my product names. I'm pretty sure if I did a more extensive search I could even find more. I'm not going to torture myself any more though.

I am trademarked but when I called the trademark dept they say trademarking only protects you from someone using your exact logo, or exact name.

I'm just livid. When I came up with my name I did all kinds of research, I didn't want to duplicate others. I've worked hard on my business, and I've had my business name for 8 years. God, if you can't come up with your business name you don't deserve to have your own business.

I've seen so many people on here posting about people stealing ideas, photos, website info...... I don't get it. All I know is this business takes a lot of balls to be able to make it long term. For all those who steal business names, ideas, photos........ You won't make it if you can't even come up with this basic stuff on your own.

Guest OldGlory

Ouch, that's just wrong! Hope you write them both a note and tell them how you feel.

I had a funny experience about 7 years ago - developed a line for one retail store and gave it a new name. The name was, in part, the name of a city about 70 miles from me, and also the name of a city near where I lived in Texas. A woman who lived in the town 70 miles away came in and reamed me for trying to trade on the name of the city where she lived. She really went on and on about how wrong it was of me. When she was done I asked her if she knew there was a city in TX with the same name. She said, well yes, and turned and walked out. I wanted to yell, Come back here and let me smack you for being so smug! but I didn't, lol!!

Guest OldGlory

At the very least a well aimed, fully stretched rubber band on the backside, and me sticking my tongue out at her...

lmao - why didn't I think of that in the moment??

Thanks for the sympathy Funkymonkey and Bella Rose. I think the biggest issue is that they haven't actually infringed on the trademarked logo but more on the side of my name and the idea that goes with it. The font of their logo was one I actually explored myself when I was doing my logo, but decided against. If they were copying my logo it would be easy to tell them to stop. Of course the trademark office said I should get a lawyer to sort everything out. But in reality who has the time or the money to dump into all of that. Makes you wonder if it is even worth it to trademark things, when variations are easy to get away with. It is still stealing someone else's ideas.

Makes you wonder if it is even worth it to trademark things, when variations are easy to get away with. It is still stealing someone else's ideas.

Isn't that the truth. Sad thing is many bigger chandler companies do the exact same thing & exploit the little guys ideas. No conscience with their almighty dollar rolling in. Some things are just not worth it - I agree with ya.

wow, that very ....messed...

i know i have heard the business world has sharks in it, but now i have an idea...

good to know, ive barley begun my venturing into the business world(no ID yet), but this doesnt make it anymore daunting, knowing theirs barbarians out their will only make me more careful...

ive already designed a watermark for all images of products...

make sure you make yourself stand out, perhaps getting BBBcertified...

all of my my products will each carry a certificate of authenticity as fully vegan products. stamped by hand when authenticated by a company TECH...

i wish you fortune on your journey, and i hope to see you out in the markets...

Sorry, but get used to it the more successful you are the more people will want to ride your coattail. Don't waste your money on a C&D letter because a C&D letter is only good if you really intend to sue someone and then you have to prove that this person is taking business away from you, and it gets more complicated if you don't live in the same state. Just ignore these people never stay in busines for very long.

The one I know didn't steal my name but my pics on my website.She used the same ones and the problem is she doesn't buy from me.She did but not now. She has her company name and my pics have my name,At least one pic does. Nothing makes sense with this.

I would first kindly send her an inquiry requesting your pictures to be removed from her site, immediately. If that doesn't work, I would go to her facebook and other social networking sites and make it known, publicly, that she is plagiarizing your work. I'd give her a heads up, that should be enough to get her to take them down, so you shouldn't have to go that route. I do think this would have better success than C&D, etc.

This craft is an art, artists must be creative! These people won't have satisfaction, or success now, or ever.