Presto pot on sale at KMart $19.99

I have always just picked up the presto pot by the handles on the sides and poured the wax straight into my pour pot ( extra large coffee cans-i bend one side of them to make a "spout" for easier pouring into containers and molds). It's always worked for me, then I just wipe out the presto pot with paper towels or old socks/tshirts. I now have 6 presto pots lol I love them!

Edited by HayCreekCandles

I have always just picked up the presto pot by the handles on the sides and poured the wax straight into my pour pot ( extra large coffee cans-i bend one side of them to make a "spout" for easier pouring into containers and molds). It's always worked for me, then I just wipe out the presto pot with paper towels or old socks/tshirts. I now have 6 presto pots lol I love them!

I was initially thinking of doing it that way too, but I was told it's too dangerous, especially when the Presto is pretty full. So I use a high-temp Farberware synthetic ladle with a spout.

That is a great price on Presto's, but I already have about 10! I'll bet they all cost more than $20 bucks too.

I'm not a big fan of the "spout". I find it cumbersome and hard to open with one hand while the other holds the pour pot. On two pounds of wax or less we just pour into pots. When we have up to four pounds (Never more) in a pot we will dip it into the pour pot with a large stainless steel restaurant ladle. I don't think there is a right answer to the best method, but that is, I believe a good price on the pot. Does it have the newer magnetic "break away" control or the older style prong control. My wife likes #2 (new one) and I like #1 (old one). See; Even a disagreement in the same "company"; Not unusual for our "staff", though! (lol)

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

I usually have close to 8 lbs in my presto and "dip" out my wax. It you have a spigot, you either have to have your pot at the edge of the counter or on a cart so you can get your pour pot below it. Dipping works fine unless you're going into production. Then get a "real" wax melter.

I was initially thinking of doing it that way too, but I was told it's too dangerous, especially when the Presto is pretty full. So I use a high-temp Farberware synthetic ladle with a spout.

I guess it can be dangerous if your not careful. I have been doing it this way since 2004 lol and I there have been many many times I have had that pot filled to the max with 4 to 5 lbs of melted wax. It can be difficult to lift with that much in there, and it has spilled but only because I was trying to transfer it into the coffee can too quickly :/ I mean there's no right or wrong way to do it....whatever works best for you and you are most comfortable doing is the way to go!! :)

I guess it can be dangerous if your not careful. I have been doing it this way since 2004 lol and I there have been many many times I have had that pot filled to the max with 4 to 5 lbs of melted wax. It can be difficult to lift with that much in there, and it has spilled but only because I was trying to transfer it into the coffee can too quickly :/ I mean there's no right or wrong way to do it....whatever works best for you and you are most comfortable doing is the way to go!! :)

I'm glad it works for you, I just don't want to take the risk of getting scalded and permanently scarred by that hot wax.

Edited by HorsescentS

I pick it up and pour it in my pot. The only time I ladle it is when I want to use just a portion and need to weigh it first. One of my prestos does does have a spigot but I find that its just a pain to use so I just ignore the spigot.

Thanks for posting this. I could definitely use a new Presto Pot!

I have the same two that I bought 6 years ago when I started making candles and tarts. I had my hubby put a spigot on one, but I never used it (I feel bad for wasting his time.) I don't sell and only make small 1/2 lb or 1 lb batches of tarts, so I just lift the pot up by the handles and pour the wax into my pyrex measuring cup.

Hello; Hay Creek!

I grew up in Southeastern, PA.

(Delware County, Chadds Ford)

I graduated from Garnet Valley High School, class of 1967.

I Lived on Beaver Valley Road on the corner of Brandywine Summit Camp Road.

Are you in my old "neighborhood?

Hello; Hay Creek!

I grew up in Southeastern, PA.

(Delware County, Chadds Ford)

I graduated from Garnet Valley High School, class of 1967.

I Lived on Beaver Valley Road on the corner of Brandywine Summit Camp Road.

Are you in my old "neighborhood?

Hi Charlotte Hall!, I know where Chaddsford is, but I am in Berks County near Reading. I think your old neighborhood is more towards Philly?? I graduated from Twin Valley High School 1997 lol! I do know where that area is though!! Small world!

TKS for replying!

I know your area too!

My parents built a summer waterfront home and bought a summertime only snack bar in Maryland prior to my teen years.

My elder brother who was the first of us to leave PA for MD when he moved to near where our maternal grandparents lived was also the first to move back to PA. He owns a small horse farm near Wellsboro.

I should mention that the farm is small. The horses are full-sized Arabians.

I'm learning here that you have to be very careful, how you choose your words. (lol)

I remember that we always had a lot more snow in Chadds Ford than we do down here. As a kid, that would have been a disapointment, but now it's a blessing.

We just had our first snowfall last night, and are expecting another 4 to 6 more inches.

I HATE WINTER!

I have the flue, so I'm back to bed.

I hope that I will be off probation shortly, but promise this is the last time I will steal a thread. (I hope!)

Take care!

Dave

Yes Dave you did steal my thread!!!!! But that is okay, cause you are a Pennsylvanian. I am from NE PA a little north of Scranton, and close to you Hay Creek. It sure is cold here, only about 5. Stay warm everyone. Feel better Dave. Do you two buy at all from the 2 candle supply stores in PA? I make the 21/2 hr trip when I need wax.

Thanks, Tam!

I appreciate your kind permission to stomp all over your great thread.

It's due to my resticted probationary/rookie membership that I have no option other than to steal threads or just "shut up".

I buy from three PA candle supply stores.

Candlewic / Candles & Supplies / Fillmore Containers

I recommend them all for what each does best.

I'm too scared to say what each does best, though.

I hate making waves and it's too easy to make a mistake with so many eyes and other opinions as there are on this board.

HTH

"Ol' Chicken Dave"

Stop, Please! You're posts are fine. You don't need to censor yourself or let a "Friend" censor you. Opinions are what this board is for & my opinion is, you're fine. You're not rude, obstinate (well on this matter you are.) or intolerant. I stole your line! QUOTE=emilyspoppy;995656]Thanks, Tam!

I appreciate your kind permission to stomp all over your great thread.

It's due to my resticted probationary/rookie membership that I have no option other than to steal threads or just "shut up".

I buy from three PA candle supply stores.

Candlewic / Candles & Supplies / Fillmore Containers

I recommend them all for what each does best.

I'm too scared to say what each does best, though.

I hate making waves and it's too easy to make a mistake with so many eyes and other opinions as there are on this board.

HTH

"Ol' Chicken Dave"