Bath bomb question...

ksranch

Well it kind of is a problem lol. I don't have a lot of time to make them and have to do another 600-1,000 soon as we're out again.

I know that when I think a fragrance is going to be light on me, I use the dendritic. The bombs that cracked up on us, those have been around for about a month and still have strength. I'd like to be able to tell you more, but because we don't keep them that long, I can't. The partner says they stink just fine, but then he has been known to think patchoui was strawberry, so he's not really reliable. 

• Like 1

Scented - how do you display them? Do you shrink wrap or just put out "au naturel". I have been shrink wrapping and putting in a clear box. I am thinking about putting in a bushel basket so they can be touched. I think they might sell better. I will probably still shrink wrap most of them and just have a few on top that are not wrapped - so they can be handled and smelled. Humm, still trying to decide. Suggestions welcome.

I'm just getting started and the few that I've made have been shrink wrapped. There are a couple of good youtube vids on the subject. There are quite a few vids on making bombs and it looks like everyone does theres' just a little differently. So far I've ordered about $300.00 worth of supplies, so they better sell. My daughter told me if I started making Lush bombs, she knew a lot of young ladies that would buy them. I saw a Lush bomb on Amazon and it was nearly $16.00 for a 9 oz one.

Steve

Scented - how do you display them? Do you shrink wrap or just put out "au naturel". I have been shrink wrapping and putting in a clear box. I am thinking about putting in a bushel basket so they can be touched. I think they might sell better. I will probably still shrink wrap most of them and just have a few on top that are not wrapped - so they can be handled and smelled. Humm, still trying to decide. Suggestions welcome.

We put in bags. Found some with a resealable flap that we're using. This gives them the option to smash the bomb in the bag and use it for two soaks or whatever. The cost for us is the cheapest we've had on the bags. Shrinking certainly would help a product keep its shape, because enough handling and the irresistible urge to squeeze do ruin bombs. However, a clear box adds to the cost. We have a tray-like set up where the bombs are kept and only a few of each scent are out at one time and then restocked. 

We've also got a sign as I understand it not to squeeze the bomb or they buy it type of thing. The partner wanted to go shrink, but I just had to make the bombs harder. Keep in mind, what we offer is a bubbling bath bomb. It isn't just the citric and soda variety. They're the large meatballer size. 

The bag option allows us to label the product is the most readable format we could offer and it adds an extra seal to the bag so someone can't really just pry open the bag without ripping the label. 

Edited by Scented

I'm just getting started and the few that I've made have been shrink wrapped. There are a couple of good youtube vids on the subject. There are quite a few vids on making bombs and it looks like everyone does theres' just a little differently. So far I've ordered about $300.00 worth of supplies, so they better sell. My daughter told me if I started making Lush bombs, she knew a lot of young ladies that would buy them. I saw a Lush bomb on Amazon and it was nearly $16.00 for a 9 oz one.

Steve

Lush is expensive and the use of EOs in some of those products certainly helps them back up their price tag. I'd think you could make a better bomb than Lush using their fragrances lol. 

• Like 1

Shout out to SCENTED! Made a batch of bombs yesterday with Natrasorb, Kaolin clay and oh my goodness are they awesome! Thanks so much for turning me onto the Natrasorb (although I did have to wear my heavy duty respirator). I have yet to try out the SLSA with the Natrasorb but that's for the next batch.

Steve

I am going to be making another batch of bath bombs soon too. Everyone has always talked about how Lush's bath bombs twirl, have different colors etc....well about 6 mo ago I did a search on Lush and this is just 4 of "How they make" their products....if you watch these videos...you are practically told exactly what all is in these..Now for why I have posted these 4 videos from You Tube......NOTICE that they ALWAYS blend the citric acid into their batch AT THE END of when they are making their product. That is how I did mine.....you blend your baking soda w/ALL of your wet ingredients FIRST .....then lay evenly on a clean baking sheets etc....THEN evenly over top of the 1st layer you put your citric acid...then blend together w/gloved hands then it is ready to put into the molds. Also NOTICE the inserts!! I do believe that the inserts is what causes the bath bombs to twirl around as the bath water GETS TO the insert causing a twirling motion because the insert is still inside....anyhow...I am going to try this soon. I sure hope I have helped anyone here who has been struggling with trying to blend their baking soda AND citric acid without it reacting....the KEY is to blend all wet ingredients with baking soda 1st AND then blend the citric acid in by hand at the very end. I had NO reaction at all with mine when I blended it this way and I am thinking...why didn't I think of that??!! Oh well. :) When I make my next batches I will be putting an insert in w/glitter next time. Heck...It could just be a ball firmly squeezed and made by your own hand for the insert. Also notice the different colors they had in the bath bombs....as easy as making your whole batch white, then place in separate bowls to color (then place in working area to blend citric acid in at the end) and then sprinkle into your mold ....Hope this helps everyone .....if we are lucky sometimes the big guys show us exactly how to make our product just as good or better. :)

http://youtu.be/ryzQT21EdTQ

• Like 1

I am going to be making another batch of bath bombs soon too. Everyone has always talked about how Lush's bath bombs twirl, have different colors etc....well about 6 mo ago I did a search on Lush and this is just 4 of "How they make" their products....if you watch these videos...you are practically told exactly what all is in these..Now for why I have posted these 4 videos from You Tube......NOTICE that they ALWAYS blend the citric acid into their batch AT THE END of when they are making their product. That is how I did mine.....you blend your baking soda w/ALL of your wet ingredients FIRST .....then lay evenly on a clean baking sheets etc....THEN evenly over top of the 1st layer you put your citric acid...then blend together w/gloved hands then it is ready to put into the molds. Also NOTICE the inserts!! I do believe that the inserts is what causes the bath bombs to twirl around as the bath water GETS TO the insert causing a twirling motion because the insert is still inside....anyhow...I am going to try this soon. I sure hope I have helped anyone here who has been struggling with trying to blend their baking soda AND citric acid without it reacting....the KEY is to blend all wet ingredients with baking soda 1st AND then blend the citric acid in by hand at the very end. I had NO reaction at all with mine when I blended it this way and I am thinking...why didn't I think of that??!! Oh well. :) When I make my next batches I will be putting an insert in w/glitter next time. Heck...It could just be a ball firmly squeezed and made by your own hand for the insert. Also notice the different colors they had in the bath bombs....as easy as making your whole batch white, then place in separate bowls to color (then place in working area to blend citric acid in at the end) and then sprinkle into your mold ....Hope this helps everyone .....if we are lucky sometimes the big guys show us exactly how to make our product just as good or better. :)

http://youtu.be/ryzQT21EdTQ

http://youtu.be/tJg1LGkceNg?list=UUhewoP6Us_3Lm_4sRPhxe2A

needed to add one more video :)

Edited by puma52

My last batch was perfect and the bomb twirled and all that good stuff.I blended all my ingredients together at the beginning but the real secret is using Natrasorb or SLSA or both. Kaolin clay really helps to harden the bomb and I use dry mica for coloration, no water based coloration. My wife said it made her skin really soft without being greasy; so I'm like "Yes". Picked up some mondo bomb molds at Hobby Lobby and might try a formula for Big Blue but you should really look into using Natrasorb and SLSA in your bombs. I didn't have any bumps on any of my bombs and I used a lot of oil and spritzed them pretty heavy with witch hazel. You just have to stir like crazy to incorporate. I've looked at several formulas that call for the citric to go in last but as long as my results are this good; I'll continue to mix it all together. I put everything together in a large zip lock back and shook it up real good. It keeps the dust down and really blends the ingredients well together (I still wear my double filter respirator). HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

My last batch was perfect and the bomb twirled and all that good stuff.I blended all my ingredients together at the beginning but the real secret is using Natrasorb or SLSA or both. Kaolin clay really helps to harden the bomb and I use dry mica for coloration, no water based coloration. My wife said it made her skin really soft without being greasy; so I'm like "Yes". Picked up some mondo bomb molds at Hobby Lobby and might try a formula for Big Blue but you should really look into using Natrasorb and SLSA in your bombs. I didn't have any bumps on any of my bombs and I used a lot of oil and spritzed them pretty heavy with witch hazel. You just have to stir like crazy to incorporate. I've looked at several formulas that call for the citric to go in last but as long as my results are this good; I'll continue to mix it all together. I put everything together in a large zip lock back and shook it up real good. It keeps the dust down and really blends the ingredients well together (I still wear my double filter respirator). HTH

Steve

Hi Steve,

I use the SLSA (good stuff, it is it is) ....I need to check on the Natrasorb....something new to try out to make my bombs even better. Thank you! :)

• Like 1

Ok.....I stand embarrassed here....I did not know that Natrasorb is Tapioca Starch....well, I guess I am making a pretty darned good bath bomb...that is one of my ingredients along w/the SLSA and the Kaolin Clay along with all the other yummy great stuff. That is good to know. :)

• Like 1

ha!  That's funny. I looked all over in my suppliers for natrasorb too and didn't know it was tapioca starch.  Well I have a million pounds of it here because I use it in my body powder and body butter.   nice!      I'm sitting here working on a new bath bomb recipe and I was going to add it to my recipe anyway. :)

I'm glad you posted. lol.

• Like 1

Its described as "modified" tapioca starch? I halved the amount of it in the formula with the slsa and added a tbl of Kaolin to this last batch of Supernova and used the citric acid as last ingredient method and got beautiful bombs. I used white, blue and red colors and everything worked out just fine. Used Apricot Kernel, Rice Bran and Sweet Almond for the oils and ran everything through a sieve after adding the citric. Spritzed with witch hazel and never got a single bubble. Thanks for the tip.

Steve

I started working on a new recipe last night and I'm trying to put the finishing touches on it right now.   Hopefully I have time to make some before I have to leave in a few hours.  I've never made them with slsa so I'm excited to see how they turn out.

ha!  That's funny. I looked all over in my suppliers for natrasorb too and didn't know it was tapioca starch.  Well I have a million pounds of it here because I use it in my body powder and body butter.   nice!      I'm sitting here working on a new bath bomb recipe and I was going to add it to my recipe anyway. :)

I'm glad you posted. lol.

hee hee... Hi Suzy! :)

Well...you know they say you learn something new every day...this was mine to learn yesterday. I did a search and found it at MMS. Perhaps instead of listing my tapioca starch as tapioca starch, I will start listing it as natrasorb. It certainly sounds more exotic...that's for sure! :) Perhaps I should look into the INCI names a little more..... See MMS listing below :)

Natrasorb

Recipes

MSDS

INCI: Tapioca Starch

This very fluffy powder is used for making bath products which appear as powders and will deliver fragrance or moisturizing oils in the bath. Make your salts more fragrant, your powders lighter and enjoy the water soluble natural starch which does it all! Use from 1 to 50% in your bath products like salts, tablets, bombs, balls and more. Enjoy!

We really mean fluffy! A 10 lb box of Natrasorb measures 18 * 13 * 12 inches! Imagine how much lighter your bath bombs will be when using this incredible oil absorbing starch.

Edited by puma52

I started working on a new recipe last night and I'm trying to put the finishing touches on it right now.   Hopefully I have time to make some before I have to leave in a few hours.  I've never made them with slsa so I'm excited to see how they turn out.

Definitely stand back, hold your breath or wear a mask when stirring in the SLSA or you will cough your head off girl! :) Hope your new bath bomb recipe rocks! :)

Edited by puma52