Lather

Wolverine

I just purchased two 25-pound blocks of Goat milk and shea butter base from New Directions and I am having trouble getting any lather with it. In a previous purchase of a block of Goat milk base from them, it was rather easy to achieve a rich creamy lather very quickly. I was just wondering if anyone else has any problems along these lines. Thanks for any info. you can provide.

Prarieannie used to put unscented hand soap in her mp to boost lather.

Might try that just to get through what you have.

That stinks. Are you adding anything to it that might bring the lather down.

Edited by cindym

Do you know who made the base?

Yes, they are made by Stephenson's. I believe it is from UK but distributed through New Directions. The block I had last year worked good so that is why I ordered more but this stuff hardly lathers. ND said they have not changed their formula but as someone said, the proof is in the pudding.

Prarieannie used to put unscented hand soap in her mp to boost lather.

Might try that just to get through what you have.

That stinks. Are you adding anything to it that might bring the lather down.

Thanks Cindym. I do not believe I am adding anything that would affect it... different FO's and a small amount of CO in some. I have tried different things and also without anything at all but they all seem to react the same. That is with little lather and the bar seems to get slimy too.

Just a suggestion, maybe you could add a little sodium lauryl sulfoacetate to the melted soap base. Add about a tsp per pound of base. I mix the SLSa to a little of the melted base and mix that up until the SLSa was dissolved, then add that to the rest of the melted base.

Just a suggestion, maybe you could add a little sodium lauryl sulfoacetate to the melted soap base. Add about a tsp per pound of base. I mix the SLSa to a little of the melted base and mix that up until the SLSa was dissolved, then add that to the rest of the melted base.

That sounds like something which might work and I sure will give it a try. Thank you for that information Isg.:smiley2:

Wolverine, I just noticed your post. I do not buy my bases from that supplier; mine come from either Bramble Berry or Peak's (they are the same bases). I do not have a problem with lather, but if you do, try adding a little shaving soap base; it is going to add lather to your soaps, for sure (it worked for my hemp soap base).

Here are the links to the shaving soap bases from BB and Peak's:

http://www.brambleberry.com/Shaving-Melt-And-Pour-Base-P4384.aspx

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Shaving-Melt-and-Pour-Soap-Base__MP1011.aspx

hth :smiley2:

Edited by Ravens

Thanks for your reply Ravens. Just today, I received some supplies, I did try sodium lauryl sulfoacetate as suggested by Isg, and it did improve the lather quiet well to the point it is acceptable. However, I was also told by ND that I should add 1 teaspoon of Cocoglucoside per 4 ounce bar to help with the problem which I have not tried yet but will make a test bar tomorrow. I will see about ordering some shaving base and give that a try too. Thanks again for the tip. I need all the help I can get.

You're quite welcome, Wolverine.

Cocoglucoside is supposed to be a mild surfactant made by combining fructose (fruit sugars) with coconut oils. Just fyi, some people claim that adding a bit of sugar helps increase the amount of lather.

I have never tried sugar 'cause I'm satisfied with the amount of lather I get from most of my MP soaps.

Good luck, keep us posted, and take some pics of your new creations! :cheesy2:

Sugar works with CP but not so good with M&P. So be careful adding sugar.

Personally to me it sounds like you got a bad batch of gm base. Have you contacted the supplier and told them about it? Even the worst bases I've used at least lathered before you added anything to them. If they are not lathering on their own I would definitely want a refund.

Candybee, would adding sugar to a MP base make it go "bad" - as in growing some type of mould? Just wondering...

Wolverine, I agree that something may not be quite right with the batch you've got, 'cause I never had GM not lather enough for my taste. Don't know, not familiar with ND bases :-(

Candybee, would adding sugar to a MP base make it go "bad" - as in growing some type of mould? Just wondering...

Wolverine, I agree that something may not be quite right with the batch you've got, 'cause I never had GM not lather enough for my taste. Don't know, not familiar with ND bases :-(

No it won't go bad but too much kills lather and some bases are extremely sensitive. But making it more lathery, never happened when I added sugar to mine. It had the opposite effect so I quit using it. Instead, use Honey. 1-3 tsps of honey pp of base makes a wonderful soap without killing lather. Honey is a natural humectant, adds sales appeal to your soap, is a natural preservative so it never ever goes bad or rancid, and its full of nutrients.