Cheats additive

I was watching the local news this morning and there was a story on there about a local candle company that caught my attention since I am a local candle company as well. Any way the lady they were interviewing said she found a "cheat" additive that she adds to her wax that allows her to add more fragrance oil to her wax than "other" candle companies do since they don't know her secret. She even showed on tv exactly how she makes her candles including how much wax, how much oil, how many drops of dye etc which suprised me. Any way she pours 2 lb batches and uses 3.5 ounces oil to each batch. Does anyone know what additive she is talking about. That is about 11-12% oil. I don't know what type wax she uses since I missed that part of the show however on her facebook page it shows parafin blend.

Do you see her adding the additive in the video? It's probably Dioctyl adipate if a liquid? It's a glossing agent and FO soluble. Could increase FO load, but haven't tried it. Dioctyl adipate is sold as a candle additive. Also could be some type of thickening agent like Carbomer or even Tergitol (thick non-ionic surfactant that can increase FO load by 50%)

If it's a powdered additive...it might be Sodium Carbo Methyl Cellulose which is both a thick gelling agent (think jello) and absorbent medium. FO load could be added at about 4:1.

Not sure how these fair when added to wax, but it would make an interesting experiment.

Edited by rctfavr3

Yeah I saw her add it. Scooped it from a plastic container. Couldn't tell if it was a powder or a pellet.

In that case I'm pretty sure it's either powdered Carbomer, sodium poly-acrylate, or Sodium Carbo Methyl Cellulose. All are heat-stable and very absorbent.

Edited by rctfavr3

Thanks for the info. I really just want to be able to answer people if they ask me about it. We are known around here for our candles being really strong and long lasting and I don't use any additives and tbh there are some if I made them any stronger you would have to have an exhaust fan going. When I worked in the animal feed industry we used to call all those additives foo foo dust, lol. I guess I am just jealous that they got free advertising on the morning news program here. Wonder if I can demand equal time? I'll just stick to what I am doing. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by redraider

Never used them in wax. The other, sodium polyacrylate is used in baby diapers and is sold as "magic gelling powder" in the theater industry but as far as I know; hasn't been used in candles. Carbomer is more widely available in our industry, but again haven't heard it being used for this purpose. It is a useful additive for soaps and fragrant body gel products to add extra volume and fragrance load.

Edited by rctfavr3

Guest OldGlory

Redraider, being on TV doesn't always translate to more business. I was on a local TV station featuring businesses and owners and it didn't do a thing for me. I didn't get one extra phone call, or sell one more candle, or pick up another wholesale client.

And I have to wonder if our typical FO:wax ratios aren't about perfect. Maybe adding so much is a complete waste of FO and money.

The proof would be in a side by side comparison of her products and yours.

That's what I was thinking. I will get someone to purchase one of their candles for me and compare. There is room for both of us and really our target markets overall are different. We are mostly fundraisers with no store front. They have a store and are mostly retail. Actually there are several other candle companies here. All the ones with storefronts have gone out of business except one and this one I am talking about just opened this summer. I would love to have the exposure just to boost our fundraiser business but really if we get too much additional business we will outgrow our little room in the barn, at least from August through December, and I don't want to have to pay rent.

Redraider, being on TV doesn't always translate to more business. I was on a local TV station featuring businesses and owners and it didn't do a thing for me. I didn't get one extra phone call, or sell one more candle, or pick up another wholesale client.

And I have to wonder if our typical FO:wax ratios aren't about perfect. Maybe adding so much is a complete waste of FO and money.

The proof would be in a side by side comparison of her products and yours.

That's a butt load of fo (about 11%) if you ask me and how much would you have to charge for so much pp of wax? What kind of wick supports that system and what kind of jars is she using? More is not always better as most of us know and this sounds like triple strength hype at best. What secret ingredient exists in today's informed world? Bees wax? Petrolatum? Petroleum jelly? Bull Hockey?

Steve

Thank U Steve!!!

That's a butt load of fo (about 11%) if you ask me and how much would you have to charge for so much pp of wax? What kind of wick supports that system and what kind of jars is she using? More is not always better as most of us know and this sounds like triple strength hype at best. What secret ingredient exists in today's informed world? Bees wax? Petrolatum? Petroleum jelly? Bull Hockey?

Steve

I agree with Steve. Why add all that fragrance if you make good candles to begin with? Any good candle maker can make a great smelling candle using the minimum of FO-- especially anyone in the business who want to stay in the business doesn't waste money and learns to trim costs down.

I am a bit concerned that this candlemaker makes candles with additives she won't disclose. If I were a customer I would want to know what all is in my candle. But maybe thats just me.

I am gonna have to get one to try.

I can't imagine these being any better than anything you or I could create. But, if you do try it, I'd be interested in seeing your review. I highly doubt these are any better, and I have to worry about the saftely of them anyway, what with them having a non-disclosed additive. Scary really.