A starting point please!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the three testers after 2 hours buning.

All the wicks are mushrooming even if they seem to curl properly. It's hard to test because of air circulating but I put them in a closet and shut the door.

Not too happy with these wicks... until now!

post-1267-139458504652_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458504654_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458504656_thumb.jpg

yes, after two 3 hours tests, this is the third, I plan to let them burn until I'll close shop and go back home, for a total of 5 hours. I prefer CD10 too but I'm afraid sides won't catch up. Pics still look strange but jars are same size from top to bottom!

Maybe the 4th burn will bring it down or once they go past the 1/2 way point. Since the jar is straight up & down, not smaller at the bottom CSN9 might be the one. Unless it freaks out further down. I don't understand the mushroom, but if you have great HT & nothing else wrong you're doing good!

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Now it's 4 hours buring, the CD12 has no mushrooms still a bit of shell left, the CSN9 in smallest jar is cleaning sides but it's mushrooming a lot. CD10 has a little mushroom and is far from melting side. too bad I have to close and go home in half an hour!

OK I can't take it any more. Love your swirls and want to know how you did that in a container jar?:drool:

So this Palm doesn't produce the crystal effect? I think Richard in Australia uses container palm that doesn't crystallize. Look him up and see what he says. I think he mixes with soy to get the best burn but not sure. I do know we can't get that wax in the US, don't know why. Twisting the wick about 4 times really helps round out the melt pool. From your pictures it looks like this will be a really long burning candle, is it still throwing well? I have a 3" jar I have made with the glow Palm container wax and the CD 14 works really nice. Leaves just enough wax to see the crystal thin layer.

Also did you pour hot like Palm wax is usually poured or cooler like soy. They look so smooth.

Edited by Sharon in KY

Here are the candles after the 4th burn, they burned for almost 5 hours.

For the largest jar I'll use the CD12.

CSN9 ended up quite well in the small jar, I have not many so I think I'll use a CD10 for this.

CD 10 in the largest jar lets too much shell.

They are very long lasting, the throw is good wirh every wick to say the truth.

Sharon, the swirls are really simple, I put 1 or 2 drop of color in the pot without stirring just before pouring, and voilà! Try it, it is fun!

The wax seems similar to the one Richard uses. I have no problem with this wax, I like it more than soy, it's more consistent and tops are always beautiful!

post-1267-139458504707_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458504709_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458504712_thumb.jpg

Yes the tops look so creamy smooth, soy is not like that. When I read about a non crystallizing palm I call a lot of wax company's. Only one had it and sent a sample but said I had to buy a truck load if I wanted some. So I really only used the sample to help with bad batches of soy. I'm trying the swirl but with my soy liquid color almost mixes by itself.

here soy costs a lot so my supplier told me to try this. I always have to buy 200-400 pounds at a time. they send me a small sample then I have to buy in bulk. Last order I made is dated 2010....

I really prefer this wax soy isn't consistent and I always look for consistency.

For the swirl, I wait when wax is at a slushy stage, put one drop in a side and one at the opposite side, I move a bit the pouring pot then pour. Swirl comes on his own.