A starting point please!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm letting candles cool then will light them again. The CSN wick looked good it was a bit folded along with the other testers.. don't know. I used 5% FO in all candles, the CSN has the worst mushrooms, it counts three. And to me it's a bit small for the candle... who knows.

So weird how something works for me & not for you or someone else. Yep, you won't know until the end. Maybe it's the type of palm that's causing mushrooms & not FO%. do you have alot of dye in it?

post-13614-139458504563_thumb.jpg This jar has a CSN9 in it. The pic makes it look weird, like it's on fire. It's actually beautiful with the flickering, the 2nd pic shows the thin shell left behind as it goes down.

post-13614-139458504558_thumb.jpg

Ops yes it was a mistake. Here are the pics.

The CSN9 is in the small tumbler, 2.55 inch diameter.

The CD10 and CD12 are in the larger tumbler, 3 inches wide.

CSN9 has big mushrooms, CD10 is fine but too small and curled a lot, I'll guess I'll use CD12.

post-1267-139458504605_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458504608_thumb.jpg

post-1267-13945850461_thumb.jpg

That looks exactly like soy. I think for 2nd burns they are all doing well. Because the bottom of the jar is smaller then the top, if you use a bigger wick the jar is probably going to get way too hot. If the 2nd jar is the CD10 the curl looks good to me.

I read palm wax in your 1st post & disregarded the soy look part. I'd leave all 3 wicks until the end so you can see what happens. The wicks might turn out too big because of the smaller bottom.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Sorry I took misleading pics, top and bottom of jars are the same size, it's the perspective that makes them look like something else LOL.

I will let them go, and see what happens. The middle pic is CD10 and I didn't expect such curling, melt pool is off center!

Ok, they really do look tiny at the bottom! Curl is good, next time twist the wick so it gradually turns itself to hit every angle. Do you attach wicks at the bottom? If you don't (I don't yet) it's harder to do but you can try. When candle finishes this burn, take a poker & stick down thru wax to bottom of wick & shove towards side that isn't burning as well.

It does look good! I actually found a thread with a video with the same idea when I 1st began. A bunch of experts came on & explained why it doesn't always work. The thickness, height, width of jar, FO% & dye amount all change the size of the wick needed. It's a good way to see how wicks burn differently though.