A starting point please!

Hello, I'm about to test some container. I don't have a lot of experience with containers, I only made some very large and I found out cd 18 was the choice. The wax I'm going to use is a palm wax for containers that looks like soy, it's in flakes and it behaves likes soy (don't know what wax is it, it's from pitisumi haiash and it's the only I have here in italy).

The containers I found are glass tumbler, I chose these because they are inexpensive. The smallest has a 2.55 inch diameter, the largest is 2.95 inch.

I have a lot of wick samples of different types, I have RRD, CD, HTP, WU paper core, ECO, LX..

I was reading the charst on wickit and wicksunlimited. They bot say all the wicks work well in natural waxes, I got a bit confused on wichs size to pick.

Any suggestions on sizes to star with? The tumbler are straight, same diameter from top to bottom.

From what I was reading here I got the idea ECO wicks have a lot of problem.

Many thanks! :cheesy2:

Edited by cybersix

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use soy but have not tried container palm. I looked at some wick rec's on a few sites so my suggestions are based on that but hopefully it will give you a starting point.

For a 2.5"-3" container try ECO 12, LX 22-24, CD 12-14...hth.

I checked what kind of wicks I have for testing, I have only two RRDs so I guess I'll skip them, found a lot of CDs, ECO and HTPs.

I'll start with CDs. Guess I'll start with CD 10, I use less than 1 oz pp of scent in wax. Thanks for suggestions!

I would make 2 jars of each size & test a Cd10 & a Cd12 at the same. Do the same for the Ecos & Htps. It's so much easier & faster to find the best wick.

Eco6 & Eco8 to start.

Htp93 & Htp104 or 105

With each style of wick I've tested in Palm they all flicker constantly. Good luck with the full MP & cooler glass, I haven't been able to do that yet even with leaving a shell.

ChandlerWicks a CD12 seems big to me, I made some tins time ago and I settled with a CD 10, anyway I'll do as you suggest. I also found CSN wick from candle science I forgot them in a box, maybe I'll give those a try too. Flickering flames, mushrooms.. my nightmares. I'll try to do my best!

Edited by cybersix

CSN are the wicks for Palm, great! I have a CSN9 in a 3inch wide by 6.5inch tall, its keeping the shell I want. It goes down slowly, but looks beautiful with the crazy flickering wick. The CSN 11s & 12s were heating up the jars horribly.

No mushrooms so far with CSNs!

I've been testing for 18 months & would have been done months ago if I'd tried the 2 or 3 jar method to compare wicks against each other.

I usually use a 5% of most of my oils, I'm usually really happy with this percentage.

CSN are good for palm but I dont' have many, so I will test some CD as well. I'm trying to be ready for a christmas craft market. I could ask CS a shipping quote and see how long it would take to have the wicks.

You should do well with both. That's great you can use 5%, I have such trouble smelling my candles.

I usually use a 5% of most of my oils, I'm usually really happy with this percentage.

CSN are good for palm but I dont' have many, so I will test some CD as well. I'm trying to be ready for a christmas craft market. I could ask CS a shipping quote and see how long it would take to have the wicks.

I use a lot of peak's oils and they always throw good for me. I made some testers today, with CDs and CSN. Tomorrow I'll start the testing.

In the meanwhile just for fun I made a candle with wood wick, and it's burning and throwing really good!

Test going on, the CD10 and CD12 are behaving the same way, curling and maybe are developing mushrooms (can't say exactly now). The tumblers are 3 inch wide, after two hours the melt pool is not full, larger with CD12, the hot throw is good in both...

The small tumbler 2.5 inch wide is going with a CSN9 but it seems a little underwicked. I will let them burn and see.

The wood wick today is not so good small flame and no throw.

Edited by cybersix

No FMP in the first burn of 3 hours and a half.

All the wicks are mushrooming, including the CSN, wich splitted in two halves.

The wood wick was not trimmed leveled, so it was burning only on one side, now I trimmed and leveled and it's going right.

Will stop the first session burn for now!