supermottles

geekrunner

I am now obsessed with mottles, thanks to Topofmurrayhill! I want to make mine as nice as top's. These are named Tyra, Heidi and Adriana ;)

Tyra is the burgundy and scented Black Cherry, Heidi is pale green and scented Peak's Mountain Pine, and Adriana is peach and scented Peak's Orange. My intention was to play around with stearic and FO loads to find the right balance of mottle versus slime. Enjoy!

post-116-139458389584_thumb.jpg

Those look very pretty. Isn't if fun when they work. You will find that some oils are better for mottling than others. I find that the less mottle I have, the more wetness on the initial unmolding. I like the random mottle so it is very important which kind of oils you are using. I made some yesterday that were perfectly dry but were completely mottled. I made four candles with the same FO and same pour temp but with slightly different formulas and there was HUGE difference. With a little wiping on my favorites, they are very dry today. Still.....the quest for the perfect candles goes on and on and on and on.......there is always room for improvement. If I am completely happy with my results, then I am not doing my job. I believe that anything you do in life you should do with the intent that you will make it your best effort. When you "know it all"......then it is time to leave this world. I don't want to leave....so I have to keep on learning. LOL.... I test candles every single day....honest. Donita

great looking candles. What wax did you use in them?

Just used Yaley premium paraffin you can get from Michael's. One of these times I'll buy some of the mottling wax out there and see how different it behaves. But so far I'm getting decent results.

So far after removing from the molds, I've been doing this: :bliss:

geek-meister

Love them. Just one question. How can you burn a candle you have named?

I see, hmmm. That is like not naming a barnyard creature that will become dinner someday. Well, I have to burn them, since I named them after "hotties" :laugh2:

I do like top's idea though. I'll name new ones after all the guys that beat me up in school!

geekman