Shampoo Bars

cottoncandy

I thought I had my recipe in my notebook, but alas, it isn't there. It's a lavender and honey shampoo bar and I used lavender eo and tea tree. How much castor oil did you use? I used I think 10%, but this weekend, if I have time I'm going to make a beer shampoo bar with avo and shea butter. I'll look for my recipe some more.

Here is the recipe that I used:

1 lb. opaque melt and pour base

1 tsp. almond oil

4 tsp. shea butter

1 1/2 tsp. castor oil

1 oz. beeswax

1 1/2 oz. cocoa butter

fragrance oil, colorant, if desired

Melt the melt and pour base. In a separate bowl melt the oils and butters together. After everything is melted mix it all together. Add any other oils or additives you want, fragrance oil and colorant. This actually makes your hair squeak it works so well.

Any help would be appreciated:cry2:

1 tsp. almond oil

4 tsp. shea butter

1 1/2 tsp. castor oil

1 oz. beeswax

1 1/2 oz. cocoa butter

Hi! My suggestion is that you cut down on the cocoa butter to 1 oz at first. In my mp, I use up to @1.5 added oz of butters/oils in total. You might want to cut your beeswax down to 1/2 oz also.

As for your lather, if the above doesn't work, I add a tsp or so of SLSA to my soaps for lather.

Hope this helps!

• 1 year later...
:o Anyone have a good tried recipe. The one recipe I have, I tried and it just does not lather AT ALL. I would really like to make some of these if anyone has a tried and true recipe.

I read somewhere that if you have hard water, you might have trouble with lather from a shampoo bar.

Dirt, build up and Sebum destroy foam and bubbles. That is why the second application of shampoo/soap is so much more foamy, there is little dirt or oils left on the hair. Copious amounts of foam are not necessary to clean your hair, ideally just enough to move the product through your hair is idea, more than that and you are wasting it.

I have just been using the 'bits 'n pieves' from my CP bars which come off as I cut/unmold and I never would have thought that I could live withouth conditioner but now I CAN!!!!!

I put all those little bits in a squeezy 'sauce bottle' and add water, give it a shake to mix up a bit, add some more water just before I need to use it and I am JUST LOVING IT!!!!!

I really never thought I would be able to have clean hair wothout using conditioner but it is just so liberating to know it can happen!

I have STRAIGHT, THICK ASIAN hair!!!! and @ 50 I can wash and not have to condition and I have a CLEAN scalp and nicely conditioned hair finally!!!!!

Can you tell I am pleased???? :)

sooo what do you recommend?
Iiiiiiii recommend 2 oz of additives max per 16 oz of soap.

Abbie, that pH thing & soap scum thing would hold for a true soap, but many MP have a more neutral pH (especially if actually detergent products). It would depend on the product. For CP soap, though - that holds very true and I cannot tolerate it on my hair at all - the high pH roughens the cuticle and makes my hair flat and sticky (very soft water here so scum not the issue).

• 5 months later...

HELP!!! I desperately need to figure out a way to make shampoo bars using melt and pour soap base (I just don't have the means right now to buy equip and learn how to do colp process soaps). Here is the recipe I used

Originally Posted by cottoncandy viewpost.gif

1 tsp. almond oil

4 tsp. shea butter

1 1/2 tsp. castor oil

1 oz. beeswax

1 1/2 oz. cocoa butter

Hi! My suggestion is that you cut down on the cocoa butter to 1 oz at first. In my mp, I use up to @1.5 added oz of butters/oils in total. You might want to cut your beeswax down to 1/2 oz also.

As for your lather, if the above doesn't work, I add a tsp or so of SLSA to my soaps for lather. I added 1/4 tsp of coconut oil.

I took the advice to cut down on the cocoa butter to 1 oz and the beeswax to 1/2 oz. I did add the SLSA. When I used the bar the day after I made it-it left my hair with a weird sticky film that I could not shampoo out of my hair! I do have hard water that is treated with softener salt. I have used it now for 4 days straight and it keeps getting worse! Where did I go wrong? Any advice is appreciated. I have several clients that are getting ready to depart on a mission trip and desperately want a shampoo bar to bring along.....

THANKS!!