A thread about making candles at 6500ft

Did search, but there wasn't any definitive info of the 18 topics.

Does altitude affect the actual MAKING process of candles? Not the burning so much for me. I'm looking for something like -

No, not at all.

Yes, more bubbles.

More wet spots.

Etc.

I know there are theories out there, just not sure if there's anything out there that's proof in the pouring and additive process.

I don't live at 6500 ft but my place which is 4148 ft is considered high altitude and I have to use the high altitude directions when baking etc. For candles, everything has worked fine for me. But then I have never tried making them at sea level so I don't really have anything to compare with.

Yes, I have been using the recommended pour temps on the label of the wax packages and the recommended scenting percentages on the label of the FO bottles. There was a thread some time back, where someone who moved from sea level to a higher altitude had some problems with the way her candles were burning. Unfortunately I couldn't locate that thread, nor can I remember the member's name. Maybe whoever it is will speak up. There doesn't seem to be many of us on this board who live at high altitude, since I seldom see this being discussed (this is only the 2nd time since I joined), or it could just be that this isn't an issue.

I am at about 6,500 feet.......I have new wax so I don't know. But as far as the basic candlemaking......it seems to be the same. Just have to make sure that the beeswax isn't in the garage or the bears might come after it (smile).....Donita Louise

I've heard that you may have to wick up at high altitude. It makes sense....the higher the altitude, the less oxygen, and you need oxygen to feed the fire.

sudsnwicks, I also remember the gal who moved from sea level to the mountains and had to test all her scents again, she said her flame was way to small at the higher altitude. She was worried about shipping the newly larger wicked candles to someone at sea level.........would the flame be to big then.

sudsnwicks, I also remember the gal who moved from sea level to the mountains and had to test all her scents again, she said her flame was way to small at the higher altitude. She was worried about shipping the newly larger wicked candles to someone at sea level.........would the flame be to big then.

Ah, good to know someone else remembers. When she posted about this problem, it concerned me about the wicking too, especially since I didn't personally test them at sea level.

Thanks guys!!!!

I did find the thread about the candle burning and the oxygen levels, I was more concerned about the making process, which seems not to be bothered.

Donita - I don't have a garage, I actually am using my 'dining room' as my candle area. I'll have to get some pics! :) Hubby made me a counter! But I will have to be careful about throwing anything away.... that scent would attract the bears to no end, I bet! I'll stay away from honey scent for now. ;)

Nodt - I'm not going there! :D

Well, what an interesting question. I live at about 8,300 feet ASL. :eek: The biggest difference for me is in the pour temp. Since water does not boil at the same temps up in the clouds as down on the earth, one must make that adjustment for the temps to reach after the wax has melted. Difficult, as one day may vary from another, depending upon other factors such as lack of humidity and outside temps. Sometimes I end up just playing it by ear. I know, I know, not very scientific, but..... :tongue2:

However, I find no difference in anything else. Burning is the same, scent throw seems the same, etc., etc.

Well, what an interesting question. I live at about 8,300 feet ASL. :eek: The biggest difference for me is in the pour temp. Since water does not boil at the same temps up in the clouds as down on the earth, one must make that adjustment for the temps to reach after the wax has melted. Difficult, as one day may vary from another, depending upon other factors such as lack of humidity and outside temps. Sometimes I end up just playing it by ear. I know, I know, not very scientific, but..... :tongue2:

However, I find no difference in anything else. Burning is the same, scent throw seems the same, etc., etc.

It may not be scientific but it is true I am 6500 ft I have to pour hotter as a norm especially in gel wax that is where I have noticed the most difference in pouring it does really seem those at lower elevation can pour cooler.

In straight paraffin only about 5 degrees but gel wax at least 10 to 15. The difference is not that great I just noticed over the years when I follow someone instruction for pour temp I won't get the same results but if I bump up the pour temp just a bit I achieve the same results.