Palm Wax Tarts Get Fluffy

debele

I use Glass Glo for my tarts, I sell a lot of them and I get great feedback. Customers say they last and last - but I have had a few complaints that they leave a fluffy build-up on things around them. Has anyone else had this happen or know what causes it? I noticed a build-up like this under the shelf where I have my wax pot, but we have a spider web issue in the store room. I thought the wax was just clinging to invisible webs. But one customer has a children's store and said it was all over the clothing that was hanging near their melter. Any ideas?

• Like 1

A photo would be helpful, but in its absence I think what you are seeing is the polymorphism of vegetable wax. People think that only soy is subject to this but that's not true. The big, huge showy crystals of palm wax will morph just like the finer crystals of soy wax. I noticed this in a glass glow container I had tested. I used a favorite FO that causes soy wax to frost like there's no tomorrow, thinking that the palm wax would be okay with it. I tested the candle, then placed the spent container with about a half inch of wax in the bottom into a box of other similar containers for the odious chore of cleaning them out. When that day came, I was o surprised at what I found: the palm wax had frosted, grown and cauliflowered during those months just like soy wax does! Because I had tested the candle in the first few weeks after pouring, I did not notice anything, but over time, here's what happened:

grossglassglow1-1.jpg

grossglassglow2-1.jpg

I suspect that this is the issue you are having. Glass glow isn't the best choice for palm wax melts - try using pillar wax and pay attention to the FOs you are using. If a FO frosts badly in soy, chances are, eventually it'll cause problems in palm wax, too, although it takes longer to show up.

I have some palm wax tarts in boxes that are about 2-3 yrs old. They look just like the day I made them except a tad dusty. But then I used a crystal palm pillar wax I got from C&S.

I've made a few testers with glass glow and liked what I made so far but have not started selling them yet as I was not finished testing. Have not seen the glass glow tarts form any 'fluffy' stuff but then my testers were burned right away. I may try some testers and put them away in a box for a while to see if they develop fuzz.

Wow! I have not seen that yet with glass glow. :shocked2:

Well, there it is in living color LOL. Find a FO that causes mega frosting in soy, burn the candle then set it aside for several months and see what happens... ;)

i have a few in a box going on one year old

Me, too. I have glass glow and pillar palm wax candles (and tarts) that are several years old and they are fine. This is something one rarely sees with palm wax, but it one of the things it can do with FOs with which it doesn't play well. I have observed frosting many times with palm wax - it's just harder to see because of the big crystals. It's not "fuzz," but the same cauliflowering crystal phase that happens with soy during long storage (or conditions that favor the growth of those kind of crystals).

This may not have anything to do with the phenom that the OP is reporting, but in the absence of photos, I couldn't think of anything else.

Thanks for the replies. The "fluffiness" I'm referring to is not the tarts themselves, but fluffy cobweb like stuff that builds up all around the walls, ceilings, furniture etc that are sitting near the melter. When the first person complained, I explained that I felt the wax was simply attaching itself to whatever dust particles and such that were in that particular area. Then I had two other customers that complained of the same thing, so much so that they would not buy my tarts any longer. These customers said they didn't have this issue with other brands of tarts, so I had to wonder if it's the palm wax, I hadn't thought to question them on the particular fragrance they might have been melting, maybe certain fragrances are the culprits. I was just curious if anyone else had similar experiences and if you might agree that it simply wax and fragrance clinging to dust particles. Sorry I can't post pics, I have to shop for a new camera, mine was damaged over the week-end.

Thanks for the replies. The "fluffiness" I'm referring to is not the tarts themselves, but fluffy cobweb like stuff that builds up all around the walls, ceilings, furniture etc that are sitting near the melter. When the first person complained, I explained that I felt the wax was simply attaching itself to whatever dust particles and such that were in that particular area. Then I had two other customers that complained of the same thing, so much so that they would not buy my tarts any longer. These customers said they didn't have this issue with other brands of tarts, so I had to wonder if it's the palm wax, I hadn't thought to question them on the particular fragrance they might have been melting, maybe certain fragrances are the culprits. I was just curious if anyone else had similar experiences and if you might agree that it simply wax and fragrance clinging to dust particles. Sorry I can't post pics, I have to shop for a new camera, mine was damaged over the week-end.

I'm a little confused. You say its not on the tarts but around your melter. But your customers who bought the tarts are complaining of the same dust? It sounds like both. Or is the problem different between your meltor and your customers tarts?

I can understand the dust around the melter as I get it too. I wear a face mask when I dole out the wax flakes from the bag to my melter. There is definitely dust in the air when I do this so I wear the mask so I don't breathe it in. I get palm 'dust' on and around the melter but I expect it as I said there are particles in the air as I transfer the flakes to the melter. So periodically I need to clean around the melter and the melter itself.

I have not seen this 'dust' accumulation on my candles or my tarts. I have been using the gg palm for about 4 yrs now making candles and have not experienced any problems like dust, cobwebs, or cauliflowering with the candles.

But I just started making tester tarts so I don't have any laying around to see if they are creating dust, cobwebs, or cauliflowering. I wonder if you can simply use an additive like a small percentage of pillar wax or stearic to get rid of the problem.

Candybee, I may be reading this wrong, but I thought the melter that had dust buildup was the one customers used when melting tarts, not the one OP melted the wax in to make tarts. OP, please let us know which melter you're referring to.

This is kind of hard to explain. It's not the tarts that get fluffy and it's not the powder from scooping out of the bag when I make tarts. You know when someone says they get a build-up of carbon on their walls, etc. when they burn a lot of candles? This is kind of the same thing only it's white fluffy type stuff thats accumulates on the walls, ceilings, etc. all around the area where the customers are melting tarts in their melters. It doesn't happen right away, but over a period of time. Ironically, two of the customers that said they would'nt buy my tarts anymore came back today and bought tarts!! They said after buying so many others that weren't as good - that mine are worth the "mess" as they put it. I'm thinking the melting wax/fo just sticks to dust that is already on the walls and makes it more visible, but customers don't like that explanation. In my work room I noticed this same type stuff up under the shelf above my melting pot. But it appears to be clinging to cobwebs and such.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a old post but I have the same thing happen. The fluffy stuff is wax but I thinking it has something with the to crystals-brittleness of the palm wax when heated for a while. I put some of the stuff on my fingers and it was real sparkly.

• 3 years later...

The "fluffy stuff" that is coming off of the Palm Wax Tarts/Melts is due to leaving them in a heated warmer too long.  I have had it happen.  I forget about the one in the bathroom sometime and it gets on the walls above the warmer.  Just have to get them changed out after the scent throw is gone.  It vacuums up.  HTH