CS Blood Orange........smells hot? Hmmmmmm....

So I'm working on testing some potential new containers for the fall/holiday season.  One of them is this cute 4 oz jelly jar that would make a nice little hostess gift etc.  I absolutely loved the Blood Orange sample that CS sent with an order (I actually didn't even find the sample in my huge box of tins until a year after getting it--they threw it in with the lids.  I only use tins for samples for my stores so I don't go into that box that often).  

I use 6006 and I've found that a CD 3 burns beautifully in this container and I'm almost down to the bottom of the jar.  Small wick I know, but it works

What I'm finding with this scent is that is smells, well, hot.  Not burned.  Not like chemical.  Just plain hot.  Has anyone experienced this and do you think that blending it with a hint of something else will help?

IMG_4531.JPG.55900b6e8a6f633ff02e848a3b404896.JPGIMG_4530.JPG.95fabc45684cf78786aadd21e41fc5f5.JPG

After a few more sniffs of this candle, I went and smelled another container that I'm testing but with a different FO.  I actually think it's the wick that smells.  I order my wicks from Flaming Candle but they don't carry these little wicks.  I had to order these from Bittercreek.  I'm also using a CD 12 that I had ordered from Lonestar quite a while ago; both of these wicks smell burned.  I never experience that with wicks from Flaming.  Calgon take me away..............:faint:

When I make citrus scents, I usually will add a tiny bit of vanilla to calm that fuel/hot scent down. Not a lot, only about .15oz to a .85oz of the citrus scent and it's amazing how well that works. You can't smell the vanilla at all but it does help with that weird scent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

When I make citrus scents, I usually will add a tiny bit of vanilla to calm that fuel/hot scent down. Not a lot, only about .15oz to a .85oz of the citrus scent and it's amazing how well that works. You can't smell the vanilla at all but it does help with that weird scent. 

Thanks for that advice.  I also did notice that I think it's the wick that smells burned-very strange.  It's hard to find those CD 3's and since mine smell I tried an Eco 2 and it's perfect!  I don't normally use Ecos in my 6006 but in that little container it's great and it doesn't smell!  Gotta get creative sometimes...

16 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I have noticed that before, but I don't recall it with the Fresh Orange I got from The Chemistry Store, which is a Lebermuth FO. I'll have to test that one again look for it.

I actually did determine that it's the wick that smells hot-not the FO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...