Sub for Sodium Lactate

Candybee

I'm running out of SL and need to make soap today. I am using my PVC molds and want to make sure the soap slides out of the mold. Was wondering if I could put a little salt in my batter to increase hardness? I have to make more soap tomorrow so need to be sure I can slide them out within 12-18 hours.

Anyone else use PVC molds? Do you use anything to help with release?

11 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Was thinking of sticking the molds in the freezer if I have problems. But you don't use anything, just the freezer?

Nothing  else. They go into the freezer after they have finished sap (when they are totally cooled). I freeze generally over night. When taking them out, allowing them a few minutes to warm creates a slippery surface inside and they pop out like a cannon if I’m not careful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

Nothing  else. They go into the freezer after they have finished sap (when they are totally cooled). I freeze generally over night. When taking them out, allowing them a few minutes to warm creates a slippery surface inside and they pop out like a cannon if I’m not careful.

This is exactly what I do. Most times I only put them in the freezer for about an hour or so though. But sometimes I forget about them and they stay in there longer. Either way, if I'm not careful they shoot out and end up on the floor. I've since learned to hold the other end so if this starts to happen I can at least catch it. LOL 

16 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I already answered you elsewhere, but my answer is the same. I would make a little saltwater solution, and then use that the same way I use my SL. I've done this several times, and it works for me, exactly the same as SL does. 

Yes, got your answer! Thank you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I like that. Definitely am going to use the freezer if I run into trouble.

I'm going to try adding a little salt directly into my lye solution. Then put the molds in the freezer if I need to. I think I should be fine. If it works out am going to try it later when I make my bastile soaps. Those are the really sticky soft soaps and it would be nice to not have to use SL in those just to unmold! So glad I posed this question. Gave me some good answers. Thank you both for your help!

I personally like SL in my soaps. For more than just making them easier to unmold. They give the soaps a unique feel, like a gentle slip and it also "tightens" up the lather a bit. Hard to explain, especially for me, since I have a hard time describing things. 

I just know I like my soaps more with SL vs without. 

• Like 1

I too like SL in my soaps.  If adding salt, dissolve it into some water before the lye as it won't always dissolve and may clump.  I too just freeze them for an hour or two and they pop out.  But again, I use SL or if out salt.

I unmolded the soaps today and they came right out without having to use the freezer. As a matter of fact they came out like torpedos so I had to be careful not to launch any! LOL

Not sure if it was the salt, or the combo of my water discount and recipe, but I did use salt and they were just fine. Its good to know I can make them without the help of SL.

So I was able to make the rest of the soaps today and went ahead and used the salt trick again. Not sure if I need it or not but I know what I did worked so I'm not gonna try and fix what is working. Someday though I need to try it without the salt and see if that works for me too.

In case anyone is interested I tried adding salt two different ways, yesterday I added 1 tsp salt to the lye solution and stirred to dissolve it. Today I added 1 tsp salt to some liquid and put in the batter instead. The batches I made are each 40 oz of oil batches and I used only 1 tsp of salt per batch.

Can't say the soaps are any harder than they normally are when I first unmold them. But they were hard enough to slide out and hold their shape while I cut them into individual soaps.