soap packaging woes - need advice

Crafty1_AJ

For years, I've packaged my soaps in the green boxes (leaf cutout) that ScentWorks used to sell.  To the best of my knowledge, they were the only supplier who had green.  I like how professional the boxes looked and how they protected my soaps as they were transported to and from market.  I detest shrinkwrapping, and soap bands got too loose as soap cured, so boxes were ideal for me.

Now my last case of green boxes is finally running out, and I need to change up my soap packaging.  I like the look of the black leaf cutout boxes, but I am concerned that they will absorb too much heat at farmer's market?  Thoughts?  I'm paranoid they will get DOS.  Although they are not exposed to direct sunlight (I'm under a tent the whole time and make sure my product is in the shade)...well, still nervous.  Missouri summers are HOT and humid.  Do any of you have experience with using the black boxes at outdoor events in the summer?  Do they get warm even in the shade?

I don't like the white boxes because they get dirty from customers' hands.  The kraft ones are OK, but I'll have to switch from my current kraft labels to white because kraft on kraft just doesn't have enough contrast.  Looks meh.

Would appreciate any feedback.  Here is a link to my current soap packaging, if links are OK to post.  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/215549634/handmade-patchouli-soap-luxury-artisan?ref=shop_home_active_1

I always loved Bailey's Boxes but they are on the pricey side but are also the only ones' with such an incredible assortment of styles and colors AND prints! https://www.bayleysboxes.com/soap-packaging-ideas

Their 1st price break starts at 150 then somewhere between that and 500. So you can get a discount for volume but they are still higher compared to other soap box suppliers I know of. But others don't have their assortment to choose from either.

I don't know of any supplier that carries anything other than kraft, black or white boxes. If I come across any will post it.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

AJ, your Etsy shop is lovely!

I don't know that I would worry overmuch about the black boxes absorbing heat. I mean, it will happen no doubt, but it seems like you have a pretty good turnover with your products so it's not like the soap will be exposed to high temps for a super long time. I would think as long as the boxes are out of the sun it would be ok, but of course that's just IMO! 😁

The black would really set off all the colors of your soaps, and make a great display on a table with your brightly colored candles!

• Like 1

AJ--- did you ever end up buying more soap boxes? If so, where from?

Just wanted to add I saw the cutest soap boxes at the gift shop I sell soap to. They were boxes that were designed for another soaper and got me thinking once again if its time to have some professional soap boxes made.  Wish I had taken a picture to share but didn't think about it. The boxes were off white or almost cream colored with black print. Not kraft boxes but a kind of textured cardboard with tiny color flecks in it. There was a small hole near the top to sniff the soap inside. Just beautiful boxes. I am jealous!

I go back again next week so if I remember will take some pics.

• Like 2

I'm going to TRY some kraft slider tray boxes for now and switch to white or clear labels.  Decided the leaf boxes were a tad too big for my soaps and my soap trays, so going with a slightly smaller box for now.  (Have to re-tool my labels to make them a bit shorter - good times.  :P   Thank goodness I was a typesetter previous to starting my candle/soap biz!)  One of the main reasons for going with this box is that it fits my soap trays better.  I had to display soap in the leaf boxes vertically because they were too wide.  Now I will be able to display soaps horizontally ... much better option.  More stable for transporting, and the label is easier to read without standing on your head.  :) 

Can't wait to see your picture!  I was stressing over this decision, then decided to just take the plunge and order a few.  Farmer's market starts in April, so not much time to dawdle.  Soaps on the curing racks are ready to package now.  I figure can always change if I end up hating these boxes.  LOL  My regulars DO notice change, though!  :o

I love the boxes at Bailey's best, but they would eat quite a bit of my profit.  My 2nd preference is the black leaf boxes with white labels if the slider ones don't work out.  I only ordered a case of boxes, so no biggie.  Trying to relax a bit about this decision, though I need my product packaging to look sharp.  I would think kraft will fly with the "natural" crowd, but the younger generation seems to like black.  There I go again ... overthinking it.  :D

On 3/7/2018 at 2:47 PM, Crafty1_AJ said:

love the boxes at Bailey's best, but they would eat quite a bit of my profit

I know! They are so cute and there are so many choices. But the cost is also what kept me from buying. If you buy boxes by the 500 or the 1000 you can get the best price but its still high.

I still look at their boxes from time to time just to see what they have and if they price has changed. Another box of theirs I love are their adorable crayon boxes. Sigh...