Identification, input, advice

ThisLittleLightOfMine

Hi all!

I was wondering if so.eine could help me. I would really like to be able to make these but for the life of me can't figure out how to make these little silicone "cups". Like if you wanted a mold for resin, the mold would be silicone! But is there a silicone mold for silicone? Or what else would you use? Thank you so much in advance!!

Screenshot_20180203-033943.png

Edited by ThisLittleLightOfMine

On 2/8/2018 at 4:51 AM, Sunday said:

I use silicone cupcake liners....would that work for you?

I'm hoping to figure out how to manufacture to be able to retail them. Or to somehow figure out how to connect to a manufacturer? I don't even know how to START that process... I hope I'm making sense

Go to smooth-on.com for silicone ideas. It's expensive, but doable.

I'd prefer to buy them ready made and avoid the whole issue, unless you can figure out how to make them at such a tiny cost that that they can actually be profitable.

Not all silicones are the same. It will take a LOT of experimenting to find the silicone that won't split, shrink, stain, etc. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Go to smooth-on.com for silicone ideas. It's expensive, but doable.

I'd prefer to buy them ready made and avoid the whole issue, unless you can figure out how to make them at such a tiny cost that that they can actually be profitable.

Not all silicones are the same. It will take a LOT of experimenting to find the silicone that won't split, shrink, stain, etc. 

It just seems like SUCH a great idea and I was hoping I could make some kind of mold to be able to produce myself but I don't know what I could use yo mold silicone.

I know that cup is easier and you could maybe charge more for it but no way I'd pay $10 for 1 and I consider myself an average consumer.  You still have to clean it out versus cleaning out the warmer cup/dish to change scents.  For a while I sold packs of a heavy parchment paper that I cut round to the size of the warmer dish.  I allowed extra for the sides.  Easy because you let it get hard and throw it away.  Cheap enough to make and sell.  Can't find that heavy parchment anymore and the stuff in the stores doesn't work as well with oil.   Now if you could come up with an inexpensive disposable cup, I think that would be a winner winner!  Might have to make it only for light bulb warmers, those direct heat warmers scare me.

How about foil liners, like for small cupcakes? I know I've seen some with lids. They would double as product packaging and be much quicker! 

The challenge with either silicone or any or any other material is everyone's warmer is different. The warmer may-or may not- tiugpch enough of the bottom to make a suitable melt pool to make the wax perform to its best. 

I also found this company. When you scroll down in the listing there is a consumer made video and when she shoes the bottom it looks almost like brown cardstock but the company boasts that its leakproof... I like the idea that its something that is somewhat reusable but also disposable and it keeps the dish of your warmer looking new. Can someone look up this product and scroll down and watch the video and tell me what they think this product is? Like how can it be leakproof if it's only cardstock/paper? Did they spray flex seal on it?? Lol

Screenshot_20180212-003341.png

Those look almost exactly like the metal molds I use for individual melts.  I also have them in square and oval.  IDK what these are made of but the tin are a pain to clean out cold as bits stick in the crevices.  If the clean hot they get too hot to handle.  These look lined with a non stick so maybe they would work way better.

Did you try one of those poppit liners that you posted first?  Just curious if the wax pops out hard and leaves nothing behind because if so that might be your best bet to try to duplicate at a cheaper cost.  Alibaba will duplicate pretty much anything but you have to buy a boatload from them.

Edited by kandlekrazy

Look into restaurant suppliers for Kraft tart liners with pet coating. Those look like Kraft tartlet molds. 

I bet if you look hard enough you'll find silicone tartlet molds premade. 

A few melt makers i know of use mini aluminum cupcake liners with lisa to make and package their melts. 

On 2/12/2018 at 6:30 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Those look almost exactly like the metal molds I use for individual melts.  I also have them in square and oval.  IDK what these are made of but the tin are a pain to clean out cold as bits stick in the crevices.  If the clean hot they get too hot to handle.  These look lined with a non stick so maybe they would work way better.

Did you try one of those poppit liners that you posted first?  Just curious if the wax pops out hard and leaves nothing behind because if so that might be your best bet to try to duplicate at a cheaper cost.  Alibaba will duplicate pretty much anything but you have to buy a boatload from them.

I was thinking the same thing about the metal tart tins, I wondered if the maker of the flipping just somehow presses some kind of card stock into the TINS to form it, but how to make it leakproof?  No I didn't try the poppit liner but it would be amazing to like have 2 one in the warmer and then when you wanted to change just move it off to the side and put the second one one with a new scent and when the first one was cool just pop it out to store it or if it's done with the scent just toss the wax. I think both would have thier place I found the flippins after I found the poppit thing.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 6:37 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Yes she has another one that is actually on the post on Amazon which shows the bottom better but I still can't figure out what they are made of or how it's leakproof.

12 hours ago, ThisLittleLightOfMine said:

Yes she has another one that is actually on the post on Amazon which shows the bottom better but I still can't figure out what they are made of or how it's leak proof.

She says they are heavy paper and I guess if you're using them once and throwing them away they prob wouldn't leak.  Idk for sure but this whole idea is intriguing to me because I hate cleaning out my warmer dish between scents. I might just try the silicone cupcake liners since they are about the cheapest way to try this.  Thinking you'd have to switch them out to let the scent dissipate because even silicone retains some scent.