Let the Millennium Testing Begin

Got my 10 lb bag today and poured the first few candles.  I heated to 180 (I just was not comfortable with 160) and poured at 110.  Wow what a long wait that was LOL!  I will let you know how they set up, looks wise in the morning.

• Like 1

Well, I am not very impressed so far. i so wanted to fall in love with this wax and I'm not. The tops were meh, not terrible but still needed to hit them with the heat gun for just a minute and there is a wet spot in one!  Now it could be operator error, so I will pour a few more tonight. Maybe I just need to get used to working with the wax and perfect my technique.

• Like 1

I know TT and moonshine also ordered that wax to test. Im thinking about getting some too possibly but might wait to hear from all of you as to how its working out.

I noticed they also have a tart wax but its quite expensive. Do you think the millennium container wax is ok to use for wax melts ? Wet spots don't bother me + Ive 

gotten those using 464 too. So what is it about this wax that everyone is raving about ? Please repost your thoughts on your results. BTW which wick series are you

starting out with ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njcurley said:

Well, I am not very impressed so far. i so wanted to fall in love with this wax and I'm not. The tops were meh, not terrible but still needed to hit them with the heat gun for just a minute and there is a wet spot in one!  Now it could be operator error, so I will pour a few more tonight. Maybe I just need to get used to working with the wax and perfect my technique.

This time around you might want to heat to the instructions of 160 and pour at almost slush, the wax I currently use if I don't pour at almost slush the tops are not pretty so this wax may require that as well seeing on the website it says no less than 115 and the cooler the better 

I got mine in the other day along with the the 100% Midwest and pillar votive, hopefully I can get to testing them after the weekend 

@moonstar I accidentally doubled my quantity in my cart if you want me to send you some let me know 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

For the batch I'm going to do tonight I am going to melt to precisely 160 and wait until slush and pour and see what happens.  This is new to me, I've never poured at the slushy stage before.  Any hints or tips?

I started with the wicks I'm used to, Ecos and Premiers.  If I have problems with these, I will move on to others.

Hello,

For what its worth (because I am a newbie) I have been heating to 160 and adding fragrance at 130-135, stirring gently for about 4 minutes then off and on until pouring slowly at slushy stage and have had good luck so far. This so far is my wax of choice. I get a good CT and HT. I have been using eco wicks which are ok but am going to try CD next.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ldunleav said:

Hello,

For what its worth (because I am a newbie) I have been heating to 160 and adding fragrance at 130-135, stirring gently for about 4 minutes then off and on until pouring slowly at slushy stage and have had good luck so far. This so far is my wax of choice. I get a good CT and HT. I have been using eco wicks which are ok but am going to try CD next.

Thanks!  That is great to know.  I'm going to pour again tonight and will do exactly as you have done and check out the result. 

You will see the wax in your pour pot start to cloud a little - maybe around 100-105 and that's when I pour other soy

At that stage after I pour its already setting up and solidifying 

I don't pour right at slushy because it's harder to get it all out of the pot

• Like 1

Well I repoured one tonight and it set up at 95% acceptableness and honestly it was me that screwed up.  Because I was melting such a small amount it got too hot, was at 180 instead of 160.  But I did pour at 100.  I just need to tweak a bit on the next batch and I think I will be thrilled with the results.  Then I'll put those up to cure for a week and do a test burn.

I'll probably do another batch and add FO and color to see how those do and as long as all goes well I'll put them up to cure.  But as we all know, rarely do things go as planned LOL.

For the ones who like this wax and are thinking of changing from your normal wax, how do you go about setting prices if you sell wholesale?  Do you just offer another line to your present line or do you change your whole pricing structure.  I see so many testing new waxes and if you have established accounts such as I, I find it would be just too much to up my prices for the same product and then for the store to up their prices.  For me, as much as I am always reading about new waxes, I don't think I could do this and have happy customers.....

Trappeur

• Like 1

I have just begun with this wax. Not sure if I am sold on it, but the throw from the initial testers is promising (finally).

i would not have two wax blends. Given how terrible the performance of my other wax has become, a new one would likely save my current accounts. Plus, it seems I may be able to use less fragrance (the most expensive bit of my candles).

The new year is approaching. Price adjustments are expected. It is a perfect time. I have not adjusted for market conditions in several years, so I would make a good one just to stay profitable, 

• Like 1

I agree with Tall Tayl, the other waxes are just not working for me (and essentially my customers).  I have been having so many problems getting my product up to my standards that if I have to spend a little bit more to get want I want I am willing to spend it.

For example, the C3 wax for me with shipping for a 50lb box is $79.64.  Lets say I end up loving the Millennium wax and switch to it, it is $108.94 with shipping.  That is only a $29.30 difference.  That is approximately .37 more expensive per candle to make.  And if the CT is any indication I also think I will need to use less FO so will save a bit right there.  Of course these numbers are not exact, but you get the idea.

I happen to be adding a new line to my candles and will be raising my prices on those so if I do switch waxes I might add a little to the price of the new line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first burn tests are completed.  I used Libbey Interlude 12oz jars, two had an Eco 14 wick - 1 without color, dye and fragrance, the other with dye and fragrance at 8% and two others had Premier 777 wicks, same conditions as the last.

I ditched the first set of candles I made.  The second set of candles the wax was melted to 160+ and poured at 110.  The third set, I melted the wax to precisely 160, added dye and UVI as soon as I put the wax in the pour pot and added FO at 140.  I then stirred on and off until 115 (the instructions on the bag say to pour continuously) and poured.  They set up spectacularly!  No heat gun needed.

The candles with the Eco 14 burned way too hot, the wick mushroomed too much for my liking and it did produced a mild to moderate amount of soot.  It also burned significantly faster than the Premier wicked candles.

The candles with the Premier 777 wicks burned just a touch too cool.  It never produced a complete melt pool, there was just a little too much hang up for my liking, but the wick never mushroomed and there was absolutely no soot.

Cold throw and hot throw on all the candles was phenomenal and there was a minimal amount of frosting.

Now here comes the but, I did have a glass adhesion issue.  Just a few too many and/or large wet spots for my liking.

So it is still a work in process but I am rather impressed so far.

Pros:  The pellets are super easy to work with, amazing cold and hot throw and they set up perfectly.

Cons:  Glass adhesion issues and it is slightly more finicky as far as temps than the 464 and C3 that I have used in the past.

I poured another batch Friday with fragrance oil, dye and a Premier 790 wick.  I will test burn that candle tomorrow night. The glass adhesion is bothering me a bit so I will probably start heating the jars and cooling in a box with a cover on the next batch I do.  If the 790 wick works well I am seriously considering changing my wax.  As time allows I will start testing all of my scents with the wax. Right now getting ready for the upcoming season and preparing a wholesale proposal and hopefully a wholesale order will be taking up most of my time. 

• Like 1

@njcurley - great information. Thank you for sharing. I have enjoyed my GB464 for years, but the issues this last year have left me looking for a new wax. After the holidays I will have to give Millennium a try. Though waiting for 115 might be too much for my ADHD to handle - LOL