How far do you all travel for shows?

Here in Maine decent shows are very few and far between.  So I got looking into what shows are out there in New Hampshire or Mass. Come to find out there are quite a few and large shows scattered over the rest of New England.  Looking further into them it would be 3.5 hours drive to the furthest of these shows with a bunch even closer to that. A few less than a 2hr drive.

So, does that seem a bit too far to travel for a weekend show? I would have to consider traveling back and forth each day or get lodging for the night. Either way would be an added expense to whatever else I would be paying like table fees and fuel. 

Thoughts?

I've known people who drive up to and beyond 6 hours to get to good shows, and then get lodging. For a show you've never done, or been too though, that might be excessive. If you can, maybe go to a few of the shows before making a commitment to actually vend there, and see how you like the feel of the show, the vibe of the customers, talk to some of the vendors about how they like vending at that particular show, ask if they know of good ones, etc.,

That will help you get a feel of how many other vendors do what you do, how the coordinators set up the vendors, etc.. Research is really key when you've not been a vendor at a show. 

I am very lucky and have great shows scattered all around me and my best shows (I actually only do 4 a year, 3 of which are at the same venue) are only about a 10 minute drive up the road from me. 

15 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I've known people who drive up to and beyond 6 hours to get to good shows, and then get lodging. For a show you've never done, or been too though, that might be excessive. If you can, maybe go to a few of the shows before making a commitment to actually vend there, and see how you like the feel of the show, the vibe of the customers, talk to some of the vendors about how they like vending at that particular show, ask if they know of good ones, etc.,

That will help you get a feel of how many other vendors do what you do, how the coordinators set up the vendors, etc.. Research is really key when you've not been a vendor at a show. 

I am very lucky and have great shows scattered all around me and my best shows (I actually only do 4 a year, 3 of which are at the same venue) are only about a 10 minute drive up the road from me. 

Lol, thats all Ive been doing every weekend is scouting all the local shows. Guess I should scout these shows that are 3 hours away when they come up this fall too. Road trip time!

9 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Lol, thats all Ive been doing every weekend is scouting all the local shows. Guess I should scout these shows that are 3 hours away when they come up this fall too. Road trip time!

Yep, research for everything we do is the key to our success...

9 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Yep, research for everything we do is the key to our success...

Agreed. The plus side to all the shows ive been scouting is the added time spent with my daughter. She is leaving for her first year of college in 6 weeks and all summer we have spent every weekend just the two of us driving to summer shows and festivals, then taking the long scenic route home ? Its our new favorite quality time activity