Best Soy Wax for throw

15 minutes ago, Ziggy P said:

And Go...............

Almost impossible question to answer (for any wax, not just soy) it would greatly depend on several factors such as wick used, quality and quantity of scent used, shape/type of container used. 

What it basically breaks down to is testing. 

With all that being said, I do hear a lot of chatter about the 464 and the 415 if you want a starting point. Probably start with one of those with your testing. There is oodles and oodles of information in the forum on both waxes and wick/scent combinations that have worked well for others. 

Yes like JC said you have to test them yourself _ too many variables and everyone's Scent perception is different 

example- I couldn't get the throw I wanted out of 464 but so many people on here do

I like the 415 but many in here can't get it to perform 

I tried C3 and had no luck but some of the most experienced chandlers on here use it very successfully 

135 was a good wax for me but don't hear too much about it anymore 

cb advanced is a beautiful wax but again I get zero throw 

fo's used- wicks used - methods of heating and pouring and additives all play a role and the possibilities are endless 

you need to decide on one and just roll with it trying various methods and wick series 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2

Ditto what was said in the above posts.  You have come to the correct forum to learn.  Plan on spending weeks and weeks here reading and reading.  It's a matter of selecting if you want a pure soy, or a parasoy or paraffin.  Those are good choices selected for a starting point in a wax or waxe you are considering.  Easy to work with and being that they are very popular choices of so many so you will find lots and lots of info here.  You will learn about wicks, cure time, different types of jars, etc.  Take lots of notes when starting.  1.  Pick a wax  2.  Pick a jar  3. Pick some wicks styles.  4.  My suggestion is start off with a wax (1 wax), don't start off blending different waxes.....learn from the ground up and perfect 1 jar and wax at a time.  Learn about how that wax performs.  After you get some experience and things under your belt, then you can start branching out to do other things.  Everyone has their own findings in using 1 same wax and we all came up with our formulations through trial and error.  You will find on the forum where the same question is asked over and over and over again.  But if you are serious about learning you need to take the time and read and read and read.  Everyone is here to help but just because 1 person says this, another person might disagree and have their own formulation.  So take into consideration of which each person says and dive in.   Get some sample wick packages that the candle companies offer which most of them do.  One thing I have noticed lately is the person starting out starts off with the biggest percentage of oil going into a candle.  I would start off with the recommended amount which is generally 6% of oil and work your way up.  Get a dozen jars of one style as you will be doing a lot of endless testings and do maybe three jars of the same style jar and start testing with 2 or 3 wick sizes.  Get them made and when they are ready to burn you will have them sitting side by side so you can see how each wick performs and start to see how a candle actually burns. Make notes (important.)  Good luck!

Trappeur

• Like 1